This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety

Default Re: Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingHead88 View Post
    So many of us suffer from anxiety and depression, just remember in the end everything will be okay. The Law of Attraction might help as well. You know what is crazy? Specific regional areas give me anxiety. I was born and raised in the St. Louis area, which I have respect for in several aspects. However, I always viewed St. Louis as an R rated version of Everybody Loves Raymond. Let that simmer for a sec. Grocery stores in that area would jump start my anxiety quicker than anything. I have a habit of absorbing the environment around me and I felt some negative ions floating around, not to mention the sizable mental health facility that is prominent in that area.
    I HATE St. Louis. I'm not sure why, but that city just has a nasty vibe to me. It's weird because I haven't spent much time there, but I really just get the creepy crawlies from it.

Everyone has had really great advice!

I don't really have anything wise to add, just wanted to pass along my love and best wishes as you go about getting help for the anxiety, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I laughed at this ... but I felt guilty for laughing.
    I kinda smiled at the last 10 words of Sundrop's post, too! Thanks for having the guts to mention it (I was too wimpy to post at first)

I can second that Ron's blog is amazing and absolutely worth the read.

I'm waiting for a quiet moment when I can read through that blog.
    Today's doctor appointment went well, they did do a blood test so they can see if there's a thyroid disorder. If not, I may go the medical route, at least try it.

Hey feef! (And everyone else!)

I have anxiety issues in very specific situations, and my doc prescribes Buspar. I take it just when I'm going to be in these situations, and it works like a charm! I call it my "I'm not in charge" pill, and I take it when I have to take a plane trip, or give testimony in court, or (you'd think this would be easy to avoid, but I run a homeschool group) when I have to go in a mineshaft. <Shudder, that's where I had my actual panic attack, Oh Lordy.>

If you don't have general anxiety, it may be worth it just to have something you take when you know you're likely to have a problem. The Buspar doesn't make me feel loopy or anything, I just feel calm when I wouldn't otherwise.

But, if you don't know when it might come up, or it's pretty often, there are meds that are more appropriate. I know a lot of folks on these and they aren't zombied out or anything. In fact, I wouldn't know they were on them if they didn't share the information.

I hope you find something that works. Until I had a panic attack, I didn't have any understanding how bad they were. I mean, people describe them and you get a sense of what they must be like, but I honestly wasn't sure I was going to live. (((((feef)))))

Thanks, Jen. Got the test results and it's not a thyroid disorder, so they're going to try medication (they've prescribed Celexa) and continued counseling sessions and see where that takes me, I'm going back to the doctor in March so we can reassess the effectiveness of these methods. It is general anxiety so I'm not sure the Buspar would help. Most of Saturday I was miserably anxious even though I was not in any stressful situations--just puttering around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Thanks, Jen. Got the test results and it's not a thyroid disorder, so they're going to try medication (they've prescribed Celexa) and continued counseling sessions and see where that takes me, I'm going back to the doctor in March so we can reassess the effectiveness of these methods. It is general anxiety so I'm not sure the Buspar would help. Most of Saturday I was miserably anxious even though I was not in any stressful situations--just puttering around the house.
    ...Lexapro is now available in a generic and it's what I'm taking...from the same family as Celexa, might be an alternative if the Celexa doesn't pan out...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...Lexapro is now available in a generic and it's what I'm taking...from the same family as Celexa, might be an alternative if the Celexa doesn't pan out...
    I have a son with Asperger's Syndrome and he takes the genenric Lexapro. It's called "Escitalopram" and it's been very helpful.

I took Coloxpen for awhile there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast