Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anxiety - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety

Default Re: Anxiety

I was about to post about the possibility of thyroid disease when I see they did tests for it. I've had issues with my thyroid for years and panic attacks was one of the things that happened to me when it was off. Sooo. I would only repeat what everyone else has said. So much good advice here and as you can see, we're all with you in hoping you find what helps for you. Hang in there FF.

I was diagnosed in the 80's as bipolar, but I am not taking medication or going to therapy. Instead I suffered horribly through the 80's and had 2 children in the 90's. The children literally saved my life. They gave me a reason to live until I finally really wanted to live for myself. Now, when I am depressed, I work it out somehow. Or maybe I just hit it in the head with a shovel and bury it. I also suffer from anxiety. Mostly about something bad happening to my loved ones. I am also afraid that "something" (a crime or an accident) will happen to my family. The anxiety is not severe, but I could certainly live without it. I also have a little OCD, but I feel that it is not bad in small doses - it makes me a better employee. I am not interested in being medicated by a doctor for the rest of my life. I prefer to deal with it on my own. But I do not advise anyone else to take the same path. It is a bumpy one.

You are a powerful being feef. Look at the powerful negative feelings that come to you because you allow them space in your head, look at how by giving those emotions the power to dominate your thoughts you give them permission to eat your lunch.

Imagine spending that time defying fear, giving it a kiss and saying "I win, I am alive and have a lot of great stuff and by God more great stuff is coming!" I have to do that every day... well not to to you. I have to say that to myself every day to keep the fear away. It feels stupid at first, but in the end being more aware of what we have, than what we don't is a huge mood elevator.

I'm not just blowing wind out of my hiney, as I have been know to do, I'm serious. Anxiety, fear and loathing, yeah, been there.

So what if you are good enough and people like you?
    Sorry if this sounds cliché. Clichés happen with home truth.

P.M me if you want to talk about meds and or talk therapy. They can work, but it's up to you to make it work, you are a powerful being and you can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    Don't feel guilty.....I'm glad ya got a laugh from it.

Heck, the day the judge signed the divorce, I ran up the street shouting "Free at last, free at last....." I felt it was appropriate
    This thread is really great, when I read all the posts, I feel so happy to have found this place, so many kind and caring people here.

I also suffered, and like Sundrop, my suffering pretty much ended with my divorce.

I think that we need to feel free to be ourselves in our lives, and to know that we are "good enough". It is a clichee, but it is very true. In my case, the depressions and anxiety was brought on by constantly feeling inferior and strange. I also got physical symptoms, and after 15 years I somehow found the strenght to get out of the marriage.
    After just 2 weeks, my most severe physical symptoms were almost gone (Hortons headaches, muscle pains), and since then things have improved so much (5 years ago now).
    For me the meds didn't work, because the problems were actually caused by my "lifestyle", but I know many people who have had a lot of help from meds.
    I think that the advice about therapy are really great, because therapy helps you get to the bottom of what is causing the problems.

A very wise doc said to me once, that even if my problems are gone, my brain doesn't always know that, sometimes the brain will remember even if I forget...
    So - it takes time, but it does get better!!!

I had such a good day yesterday, from an emotional standpoint, I was thinking "Wow, this medicine really works" even though they said the full effect would take 4-6 weeks. Yesterday afternoon I felt like Gene Kelly in "Singin' In The Rain", I hadn't felt so good in a long time.

Then I woke up at 3:45 AM feeling panicky, and didn't fall back asleep. By 7:00 I was in total panic attack mode, my poor wife didn't know what to do for me. I almost didn't come in to work today but forced myself anyhow. I opened a few emails and felt everything spinning out of control, each email I opened seemed to drive up my anxiety another notch.

I went into an empty office and breathed deeply, holding an orange under my nose. I didn't come out for almost a half hour. But when I finally did, I felt a lot better. I was able to write up a procedure for a software install and am starting to feel in control again. I just hope I'm not worn out before the day is over from this roller-coaster ride.

(((Bob))) Hope the rest of your day goes better but it sounds like you're already finding some coping skills to deal with the anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I had such a good day yesterday, from an emotional standpoint, I was thinking "Wow, this medicine really works" even though they said the full effect would take 4-6 weeks. Yesterday afternoon I felt like Gene Kelly in "Singin' In The Rain", I hadn't felt so good in a long time.

Then I woke up at 3:45 AM feeling panicky, and didn't fall back asleep. By 7:00 I was in total panic attack mode, my poor wife didn't know what to do for me. I almost didn't come in to work today but forced myself anyhow. I opened a few emails and felt everything spinning out of control, each email I opened seemed to drive up my anxiety another notch.

I went into an empty office and breathed deeply, holding an orange under my nose. I didn't come out for almost a half hour. But when I finally did, I felt a lot better. I was able to write up a procedure for a software install and am starting to feel in control again. I just hope I'm not worn out before the day is over from this roller-coaster ride.
    You probably got some immediate emotional relief from just knowing you had addressed the issue, but yeah, some medicines have to build up a--dang it, I can't remember what it's called; one of you nurses help me out--basically a certain level in your blood before you get the full therapeutic effect. It has to do with how it's metabolized. (My husband has explained this to me before, but I just remember something to the effect of "blah blah liver blah blah kidneys blah blah metabolize blah.") BUT. Sounds like you did pretty great on your own! You are going to have up days and down days, but overall it will get easier.

Citrus is my happy place too.

Hope you feel better Bob..I saw somewhere the quote "To remain calm,one must take on the appearance of being calm" and I have used that before in stressful situations,to take a deep breath,repeat the quote mentally and concentrate on that..and it seems to help me..hang in there..

(((((BOB)))) I know first hand what you are going through and I promise you that it will pass. Keep on clinging to what makes you happy with all of your might until it does. I haven't had a panic attack in a few years but I will never forget how they feel. They are like having a nightmare while you are awake and they make you feel helpless and hopeless, but they are BIG FAT LIARS. There is always help, and always, always, always and forever hope.

(((Bob))) hang in there. Sending inner calming vibes. Don't be afraid to step aside to a quiet place and relax for awhile. You are doing OK!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast