Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
craig toomey and asmr . . .

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: craig toomey and asmr . . .

Question craig toomey and asmr . . .

I remember seeing The Langoliers when I was a kid and it really stuck with me. The character Craig Toomey (Bronson Pinchot) was ripping paper throughout the movie (to calm himself?). I know this has been mentioned in other posts, but I have some new questions about it.

Ever since I was a child, I would experience a feeling when watching instructions, slow quiet speech, or anything with great attention to detail. Two years ago, I discovered I was not alone. This sensation has the name ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response). It's a strange feeling that is incredibly calming and can put you in a relaxing trance. (as silly as it sounds) When I would watch Bob Ross, with his slow, calm, quiet voice patterns, and as he meticulously brought paint to the canvas, I would be unable to turn away from the screen. Today, an entire ASMR community has emerged in Youtube. Videos like piles of salt being played with on a tabletop, towels being folded, playing cards being shuffled, all while the person in the video is whispering in a slow, speech pattern are being posted daily. I can completely understand the allure of tearing paper.

Is Craig Toomey displaying what is now known as ASMR? Did Mr. King write that into the story from his own experiences, or is it just coincidence? I think this might be one of the first documented cases of a rapidly growing awareness of a newly claimed biological phenomenon. Am I looking into this too much, or does this make sense to anyone else?

I've always thought this and I'm glad to finally share it.
    Hope I don't sound too crazy,
    Tom

Default Re: craig toomey and asmr . . .

I've seen some of those videos you mentioned and can understand how they could be almost meditative for some people. I would guess it's the same idea as raking sand in a zen garden.

Unless he's a closet ripper, I've never seen Steve doing that in the 24 years I've worked for him so I feel fairly confident I can say it's not something he personally experiences. I can't say if it's something he'd either read about or seen someone else do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I've seen some of those videos you mentioned and can understand how they could be almost meditative for some people. I would guess it's the same idea as raking sand in a zen garden.

Unless he's a closet ripper, I've never seen Steve doing that in the 24 years I've worked for him so I feel fairly confident I can say it's not something he personally experiences. I can't say if it's something he'd either read about or seen someone else do, though.
    "closet ripper" ... that amuses me . . .

It's not an obvious observation. Growing up, my closest friends would have no idea that I would have these sensations, and I just assumed everyone else got the same feelings too. I'm not compelled to search for what triggers my ASMR, but it is always noticed. Although after working with him for so long, I'm sure something like this would have come up before in conversation before, huh?

Thank you for the quick response and insight!

Unless he's a closet ripper
    ...."Rip, rip...Rip, rip"...

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

You worked for him?! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceefor View Post
    You worked for him?! Awesome!
    Ms. Mod still works for him now, she is his P.A. It has been almost (Ummm Marsha? Spidey? When is the anniversary again? ) 25 years since she first started working for Stephen.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Ms. Mod still works for him now, she is his P.A. It has been almost (Ummm Marsha? Spidey? When is the anniversary again? ) 25 years since she first started working for Stephen.

It'll be 25 years on Nov. 1, 2013. Way to go MsMod!!!!

Here's the social groups celebration back from 2008.

http://www.stephenking.com/community...=38&do=discuss
    Last edited by Spideyman; May 25th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.

I like peeling and shredding the labels off beer bottles. It may be a Canadian thing though.