This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    There may at some point down the line once his contractual agreement with Amazon has expired be an opportunity to make the essay available at no charge but for now, that's not an option.
    Will it be made public how many copies of the essay are/have been purchased? I'm just curious due to the proceeds being donated.

Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    So his contract prevents him from sending the proceeds to a charity instead of a political organization? He could have sent the proceeds directly to the Sandy Hook victims.

http://www.nptrust.org/alert/charities-providing-relief-for-victims-of-the-sandy-hook-tragedy

Was this not an option? Was it not something considered?

In my opinion, it would have been a much better choice of where to send the proceeds. It is not political, and it is going directly to the families.

And if as you say, that in any debate...all have already chosen their sides. Than why would SK even say that he hopes to 'provoke a constructive debate'. Just come out and say...hey, here is how I think. Take it or leave it.

But again, my biggest problem is not that my former favorite author disagrees with me on something. That, would simply be impossible. It is his choice of organizations that he chose to send these proceeds.

As I said, it would have been just as egregious if he had chosen to send the money to the NRA. They are both political organizations, who are very much adding to the polarization of the discussion. They both have lobbying arms. They both are not charities.

If he cant post it free for all on his website....then send the proceeds to a charity.
    First, he was under no obligation to publicly reveal what he chose to do with the proceeds from the piece or even to give them away at all, but yes, several charities that assisted Sandy Hook victims and organizations devoted to finding ways to promote reasonable solutions to gun control were all considered. Your questions have been answered elsewhere in other threads on this topic so the information is readily available for you to find.

Your points are taken but it is not going to change the here and now of how the essay is being distributed.

Ah. I see. You are really just a troll, and are not here for discussion at all. I am glad I was able to identify the one early one. As there is always at least one.

Good day to you.
    Pat is actually not a troll, not at all. He is a bit peculiar (I wouldn't say that, but I imagine he'll take it as a compliment, which is indeed the spirit in which it is intended) and expresses himself in unconventional ways, but as far as I can tell, he never says anything for the purpose of getting a rise out of someone, which is the definition of a troll. He is, in fact, one of the most consistent people I've ever known.

He may be a bit more terse than usual right now, but those of us who are regulars on this board have had a tough time of it lately and have been fielding a lot of incoherent anger and fuzzy logic. It tries one's patience.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Will it be made public how many copies of the essay are/have been purchased? I'm just curious due to the proceeds being donated.
    It wasn't our intention but it hasn't been SOP for any other piece, fiction or non-fiction, that Steve publishes to release sales numbers. I don't think he'd have an issue with doing so, but can't speak for him so would have to get back to you.

You are really just a troll, and are not here for discussion at all. I am glad I was able to identify the one early one. As there is always at least one.
    You mean all these years I've been talking to a...(gulp)...TROLL? AAAAUUGGGGH!!!!

First, some people don't like what Steve says. Then, some people accuse him of profiting from a tragedy. Then when it turns out he's not profiting from a tragedy, some people don't like who he's donating to.

Man, if Steve would just do what these people wanted, the world would be so much a better place and no one would be gettin' shot or nothin'.

I read SK because he's a damn good storyteller. Last time I checked, he still was. My ability to enjoy his works does not hinge on my agreement (or disagreement) with his beliefs. If your ability to enjoy his works hinges on this, then it's your loss. Yes, SK loses a constant reader this way, but it could be worse. At least neither of you lost a child like twenty parents in Connecticut did.

I am not saying that I wrote an essay to 'provoke a constructive debate'. Do you not see how that is different? And how SK is thus, not provoking a constructive debate, but choosing sides in said debate? When the proceeds are supporting an organization that is part of the political discourse, it is simply encouraging further polarization and not debate.
    So, your entertainment dollars you eluded to in the post previous this need to find a comfortable place and the fact that 99 cents is going to something you find uncomfortable, is terrible? Yet sending those dollars to a fictional story that is about death and other things that SK writes about presents no moral dilemma for you? But a political organization with which you disagree is an outrage to your senses?

That makes me curious as to what your point in posting this was in the first place? As you essentially say here, it is more SK's job to stimulate a debate, and not give an opinion. Your job is apparently the opposite. Why is SK responsible for his words in a public forum, yet you are not?

Perhaps it is because yours are childish, whiny tripe?

But hey that is MY OPINION.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Ah. I see. You are really just a troll, and are not here for discussion at all. I am glad I was able to identify the one early one. As there is always at least one.

Good day to you.
    Oh puhleeeze, you make me blush you scamp you
    But yeah okay, maybe I mighta started out as one way back in da day, but now I've been elevated to the grand exulted position of, Troll House Nookie, yeah I know, pretty huh?.
    And here for the discussion???...you couldn't handle the discussion, but if you had any freakin' idea how many bullsh!t 'discussions' I've had, over how many years, and with plethora o' like minded dolts (yeah okay, that might could be considered name callin'), over their expertise in nothin' but bitchin' moanin' & groanin' over this stupid silly crap y'all just make up in your collective conspiracy minded fertile imaginations, that you obviously Do Not Understand in anywhere close to it's entirety, nor want to I'm bettin', then you just might wonder why I even gave you the privilege of my presence...no, no need to thank me, your drivel is more than enough.
    And ya know somethin' else, it's clucks like you that have been busy tryin' oh so hard to #$%@ it up, and for years, now it's coming to a head and we'll all end up payin' the price for all the moronic nonsense y'all pull out of your azzzzz, so ya happy now?...oh I know I am.
    And a most swell day to you too sir, and you know what they say about them doors, yeah, yeah that's right, they swing both ways.....hmm, which reminds me of a dog I once had.....

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    But yeah okay, maybe I mighta started out as one way back in da day, but now I've been elevated to the grand exulted position of, Troll House Nookie, yeah I know, pretty huh?.
    And here for the discussion???...you couldn't handle the discussion, but if you had any freakin' idea how many bullsh!t 'discussions' I've had, over how many years, and with plethora o' like minded dolts (yeah okay, that might could be considered name callin'), over their expertise in nothin' but bitchin' moanin' & groanin' over this stupid silly crap y'all just make up in your collective conspiracy minded fertile imaginations, that you obviously Do Not Understand in anywhere close to it's entirety, nor want to I'm bettin', then you just might wonder why I even gave you the privilege of my presence...no, no need to thank me, your drivel is more than enough.
    And ya know somethin' else, it's clucks like you that have been busy tryin' oh so hard to #$%@ it up, and for years, now it's coming to a head and we'll all end up payin' the price for all the moronic nonsense y'all pull out of your azzzzz, so ya happy now?...oh I know I am.
    And a most swell day to you too sir, and you know what they say about them doors, yeah, yeah that's right, they swing both ways.....hmm, which reminds me of a dog I once had.....
    Who is writing this stuff down? I need to be keeping a PITH Expressions Journal! Priceless! Thank you, Pat, for making each and every day even more filled with sunshine than it already is! "Your drivel is more than enough." Why can I never think of these things at just the right moment? I'm in your debt for the years of postings you so lovingly provide the rest of us SKMBers! I mean that from the bottom of my heart, and you know it. You had a dog that swung both ways? My son's pooch is so confused ever since he "got fixed" he'll swing any way you let him! I mean, stuffed toys, potted plants, once he got ahold of a still warm blow dryer and let me tell ya. He wasn't prepared for the sizzle he received from that embrace! All I can say is keep those posts coming, my friend. <3

Good day to you.
    Who, PatIntheHat? The Hatman's a troll?? -Where've I been living, under a rock?

Pat may be a lot of things, but being a troll is not in his repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    But yeah okay, maybe I mighta started out as one way back in da day, but now I've been elevated to the grand exulted position of, Troll House Nookie, yeah I know, pretty cool, huh?
    First - and probably the best - laugh of the day. You're better than Maggie Smith, Falmouth.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast