This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 256

Thread: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    What, and your obsession with guns isn't? What do you not get about controlling anything that can kill a person? It's done with cars, alcohol, and drugs. Aren't guns involved in that mix?
    Cars and drugs are not constitutionally protected civil rights.

    But, even if using the comparisons of alcohol and cars....we dont really ban anything. You can own a car that drives 200MPH, when one can only legally go maybe 80 on any public road in this country.

    As far as alcohol, I can buy as much as I want. Are kegs outlawed? How about buying a 30 pack instead of a 6 pack?



    Hate is regulated by the First Amendment and is punishable if it results in a crime. Ergo: guns should be more strictly regulated by the Second Amendment and citizens punished if guns result in a crime as well. Key to hate eradication in the first case is enactment of laws that punish a person for acting on hate; eradicating violence caused by guns requires enactment of laws that restrict a person's access to certain guns and punishes them if they get ahold of such weapons and use them in any crime.
    Absolutely speech is regulated....when it is a crime. And typically, the rational for that is the old....My right to swing my fist ends at your nose. ie, my rights end when they effect your rights. However me simply owning a piece of metal and plastic does not effect your rights one bit. Not one iota.

    Background checks for everyone buying a gun is part of the solution. Mandatory reporting by physicians of Freaky McFreaks to a database used by ATF/Justice and gun dealers is another piece of the answer. Providing better mental health screenings and access is a third pie slice. But you have to admit that restricting gun access as well as ammunition capacities on guns *must* be part of the solution as well. It doesn't work without it.
    Bans on ANYTHING is really not the way to go to solve our problems. As we can see with drugs. A prohibition on drugs has certainly not stopped our problems with drugs, and in fact, only created more problems. The black market thrives, gang activity and violence are all related to prohibitions. The drug war is one huge contributor to the violence problem in this country. It is time THAT prohibition goes away as well, but that is a different story all together.

    I have no problem with mandatory reporting of 'freaky mcfreaks' to NCIS. I would say that it should be limited to people that are actually a danger to themselves or others however to prevent other civil rights violations. That would also go along with providing better mental health access that I have been saying since the first page of this thread. As far as gun access and ammunition capacitys....again, no. Once again. We did not try to reduce drunk driving by limiting the amount of alcohol one can purchase and own. Or even the strength of alcohol. That IS prohibition. And history has shown us that time and again...prohibitions fail. They do not lower crime, but increase crime and its associated violence.

    Prohibitions = Bad.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Hoss, you know how I feel about this, but time to tone done the snark a notch or two--it's coming across as too personally directed and diluting your arguments. IMO
    Two notches? But, but, but ma!

    Oh OK, fine. You're no fun. How can I refuse thee?

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Comin' to you on a bloody road
    Good shootin', I got a clip load
    And when ya shoot, ha
    You got somethin'
    So don't worry, cos I'm just huntin'

    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man

    Got my rights the easy way
    And I'll obfuscate 'em
    Each and every day
    So honey don't you fret
    Obviously you can't see nothin' yet

    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man(play it Steve)
    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man

    I was brought up on N.R.A. creep (listen now)
    I learned how to shoot before I could *bleep*
    I was educated on gunstock
    Then I started blastin'
    Now I can't stop

    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    I'm a tool man

    Grab the guns
    And I'll pull you in
    Give you hope
    And be your only strawman, yeah
    (Yeah) yeah (yeah)

    I'm talkin' about a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    And you a tool man
    Ah tool man
    Oh lord a tool man
    I'm a tool man
    And you a tool man
    dum duuum dum bump


    Holy sh!t, that hurt. Warn me before you drop a bomb like that, Pat.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Red face Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Well. Thanks for that creepy mental image that will give everything I do this morning a grotesquely sinister tinge. (It's the word "flesh" more than anything else; there is just something wrong with that word.)
    You're welcome.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    I thought of one instance where machine guns might be justified in animal control...

    Have you SEEN that monster kitty that Pat owns? That thing could take at least 20 bullets before it hissed to a glorious end!

    I heard it likes BBQ though, so I must say I feel a bit of simpatico with it.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I thought of one instance where machine guns might be justified in animal control...

    Have you SEEN that monster kitty that Pat owns? That thing could take at least 20 bullets before it hissed to a glorious end!

    I heard it likes BBQ though, so I must say I feel a bit of simpatico with it.
    Dont be silly. No where did I say anything about fully automatic weapons while hunting or pest control.

    Heck, fully automatic weapons are only useful for one thing that I know of. Suppressive fire.

    Fully automatic weapons are typically called 'spray and pray' ie, meaning they are not very accurate at all. They are far different than modern semi automatic sporting rifles, in both design, their internals, and their application.

    Just because two guns look similar on the outside, does not mean their function, their internal parts, or their legal appropriate uses are the same.

    That is one of the biggest problems with this whole 'ban assault weapons'. Heck, even the term 'assault weapon' is nothing more than a political made up term back in the 1990's. Now, some are trying to use the terms 'assault clips' or 'assault bullets'. Really?

    The gun control anti-civil rights crowd is getting nauseating with their terms.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,210

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I thought of one instance where machine guns might be justified in animal control...

    Have you SEEN that monster kitty that Pat owns? That thing could take at least 20 bullets before it hissed to a glorious end!

    I heard it likes BBQ though, so I must say I feel a bit of simpatico with it.
    Bite your tongue, man. Buster Brown is not the problem; the little one - Jumpy Bean - is.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky
    Posts
    5,859

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I thought of one instance where machine guns might be justified in animal control...

    Have you SEEN that monster kitty that Pat owns? That thing could take at least 20 bullets before it hissed to a glorious end!

    I heard it likes BBQ though, so I must say I feel a bit of simpatico with it.


    ~errrp~
    Downtown Buster Brown, now he might just be a huge pussy and all, but his fat azzzzz obviously don't need no pistolas, and like he always says, 'Why they just ain't nothin' mo' betta then airin' out the ol' toolbox after smokin' some wild piggy'.....heyyyyy now wait just a little minute there Buster Brown, just where in the hell did you get that piglet sized paper, see I seen you eyeballin' that vintage Cheech & Chong's Big Bambu album we've been savin' for the big apoplecticlypse

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    Cars and drugs are not constitutionally protected civil rights.

    But, even if using the comparisons of alcohol and cars....we dont really ban anything.
    We do, actually, "ban" things related to cars, drugs, and alcohol. Only, we call it regulating. Please note that in the below examples, "cannot" generally means "cannot legally."

    Cars: You cannot drive an unlicensed, uninsured vehicle. Doing so will generally get you in trouble fairly quickly. You cannot drive without carrying a piece of plastic that identifies you as being above a certain age, having passed at some point a written and driving examination and, recently, an eye test and short test on road signs. You cannot drive if you have exhibited such poor driving behavior that you have had the little piece of plastic taken away from you. You cannot drive impaired. You cannot drive in the left lane for purposes other than passing. You cannot, in most places, blacken your car windows to such an extent that they prevent someone (a police officer, most especially) from viewing the inside of the vehicle. And so on.

    Drugs: You cannot obtain certain drugs without a prescription. You cannot get certain drugs at all, as they have been banned because they are thought to cause harm. You cannot purchase street drugs.

    Alcohol: You cannot buy it if you are under the age of 21. You cannot transport an open container of it in your car.

    Absolutely speech is regulated....when it is a crime. And typically, the rational for that is the old....My right to swing my fist ends at your nose. ie, my rights end when they effect your rights. However me simply owning a piece of metal and plastic does not effect your rights one bit.
    Although I understand your argument and do not deny that it has a certain logic, materially I disagree. Because if you slandered me, the law provides such for such remedy that I could undo some, maybe all, of the harm you have done. I can press charges so that you are tried in criminal court and my reputation is officially defended, and I can also address the matter in civil court, where the law could force you, theoretically, to reimburse me for damages. If, however, you shoot me and I die from the wound, thereby losing my natural (inalienable) right to life, well, yes, you have committed a crime and will probably go to jail. That's all well and good. But there is nothing that can be done to give me, the victim, my rights back. There is no court than can restore my life. THAT is the material difference between shooting someone in the head and slandering that person.

    You might argue, "Well, that's just a risk you take, living in a free society." And indeed, life is not without risk. But when we live in an environment where we are vastly more likely than those in similar (affluent, "free") countries to be shot dead (depending on the area of the country you live in; areas of high gun ownership correspond heavily with areas of high homicide risk), I would argue that the current exercise of your secondary right, which is not natural and had to be granted by a piece of paper by the government, does, in fact, infringe upon my natural, inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, rights that form the very foundation of this country. Now, when I say "secondary rights," I don't mean to imply that they are not important. Maybe it would be better to call them ancillary rights. The purpose of those secondary or ancillary rights, ALL OF THEM, is to help safeguard our inalienable, or natural, rights. If they are doing that, then they are working the way that they were intended to. If they are not, they're not. While it is unreasonable to expect, in any society of humans, that no one be killed by another, or by one's own hand in a moment of anguish that would pass if it were allowed time to do so, I do not think it is unreasonable to value life in this country, the United States of America, a country where "life" was arguably considered the most important natural right by its founders, AT LEAST enough so that we don't dispose of it more often than the next most violent affluent country. That is a reasonable goal.

    Bans on ANYTHING is really not the way to go to solve our problems. As we can see with drugs. A prohibition on drugs has certainly not stopped our problems with drugs, and in fact, only created more problems. The black market thrives, gang activity and violence are all related to prohibitions. The drug war is one huge contributor to the violence problem in this country. It is time THAT prohibition goes away as well, but that is a different story all together.
    I'm going to meet you halfway here. I've never smoked a cigarette or done any illegal drug in my life. I have no intention of doing so. My path to lesser health has been paved largely with refined flour, trans fats, and chocolate, the way God intended. But ... good grief. Yes. Let's look at the drug war reasonably and see that it's not working and that in some instances, we really are butting in where we don't belong, making criminals out of people who feel that toking up is something they want to do but have no intention or history of harming anyone else because of it.

    But ... guns are a bit different from drugs and alcohol, because of the supply chain. It's a different situation from drugs and booze because with a little discretion and not much more cash, I could get me a nice little setup going in my basement to produce either of those things. There are no meth factories; you ever notice that? Only meth houses. Guns are pieces of engineering, and you better get 'em just right, or you're likely to blow yourself up the first time you take aim at a target. They're not a DIY endeavor, is what I'm saying.

    Countries that regulate guns more strictly than the US have a lower death rate by firearm and overall. In some cases, regulation works.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    Ya think? Personally directed comments has been the sole basis of Mr. Burritos posts. Well that, and his obsession with the 'right wing' and neocons. Lol.

    Of course, there are others that are now comparing gun owners to villians in SK screenplays.

    I knew I most likely would not be winning any friends when I came here, but I did not expect such open hostility.
    There have been, in this thread and others, plenty of logical, clearheaded, dispassionate, reasonable, sensible posts championing the stricter control of guns.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Uncut version? (Brady's body torn apart)
    By Dogbyte420 in forum Silver Bullet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 11th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •