This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 256

Thread: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Sheesh. I'd have baked a cake and all.
    Ack, fuhgeddabout them two...bake one of those extra special Depp~Fiennes cakes and come hang out with me instead. Raawwwrrrr!

    jay1799; I felt your initial post was very well written and thought out, but I was disappointed to read that a Constant Reader would no longer read King because of where the proceeds of the essay will go. I understand your reason for not wanting to buy the essay on principle, but to revolt against King's works as a whole seems extreme. But hey, each to their own.

    Ooh, and PITH...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Don't have time before the Board closes to do so, but they're there. If you still haven't found them by Monday, let me know.
    The board closes?

    I guess that means any posts I make this weekend will be held up under moderation "Cause I am still a newb". No biggie, but I guess I will know that it is not for censorship.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky
    Posts
    5,859

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    That is understandable. However, I didnt come in here calling everyone names. I didnt come in here spitting fire and anger.
    Ya know me neither, then I met you, you seem to be the common denominator..well, only 'cause there ain't nothin' common 'bout me
    And you think that's spittin' anger huh?...*SNRT*, 'k, but hey, you go ahead and call me whatever ya want, no really I'm totally down with it, why me very own Mama called me an imbecile just last night..she's so damn cute And truly, I'

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    I believe I have been quite well tempered in this discussion. If you are just going to dismiss anyone who disagrees with Mr. King on this matter with vitriol and anger, then I question why? Is it to close of debate? To attempt to drive off any dissenters? That is not conducive to a discussion either. As can be seen in several other posts above, that I dont need to quote nor respond to directly.
    First, tempered, who cares (well yeah I'm sure somebody does, many probably, but I could give a good hoot), content however, now that guaranteed a reaction, and if you can't cop to that you really are full of it.
    And let me tell ya somethin' else, since assuming ass'umptions seems to be your big forte', why do you ass'ume I agree with Mr. King, I mean I'm sure I do, to at least some degree, but maybe, & quite possibly, not all that much...I got no idea, I got no Kindle.
    Got nothin' to do with our gracious & most generous benefactor's opinion (ohhh was that one slick suck up huh), here or anywhere else, it's really got more to do with the constant barrage of pouty petulant Parrots squawkin' for their crackers I've been hearing and reading, almost constantly, ever since this administration came in, and the whole time Willie the Weiner was in office, in the nineties with the first assault rifle bans, the ones with no real teeth, but the ones that made a whole lotta people, people I personally know, a whole lotta money, because this is what the crap you spouted out is all about, asshats & jagoffs making cold hard cash on selling cold hard death, not about your GODDAMN "RIGHTS" YOU ARE IN NO DANGER OF LOSING.
    Oh yeah, well then give me one plausible scenario just how that's gonna take place, just one.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    The board closes?

    I guess that means any posts I make this weekend will be held up under moderation "Cause I am still a newb". No biggie, but I guess I will know that it is not for censorship.
    Info in the FAQ, but short answer is it closes at 4 PM Eastern and reopens on Sunday but posts don't get moderated until Monday.


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    ...I need to invest in a "Troll Chow" company, and build a huge bridge...coz they WILL come...I usually never tire of spirited debate, but I gotsta to say I am weary to my bones of all this....to each their own, and otherwise, as the reknowned Mr. Bunker would say..."stifle yourself!"....this is my home away from home, and now it's being over-run by "outlanders"....I seriously respect everyone's viewpoints, but the fringe element that just "relocated" here is on my last nerve...nobody twisted your damn arms to read the essay, or to be a fan of King's works AND you have no say in where the dollars go!...say your piece and move along...I don't care for where the money went either, but I ponied it up to see what the man had to say...I found it well done, and I'm a "gunner"...all this blah, blah, blah is doing nothing but detracting from the basis of this Board-appreciation of one another and Steve's work...steppin' off the stump now and headin' for the silo of chow...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Ack, fuhgeddabout them two...bake one of those extra special Depp~Fiennes cakes and come hang out with me instead. Raawwwrrrr!

    jay1799; I felt your initial post was very well written and thought out, but I was disappointed to read that a Constant Reader would no longer read King because of where the proceeds of the essay will go. I understand your reason for not wanting to buy the essay on principle, but to revolt against King's works as a whole seems extreme. But hey, each to their own.

    Ooh, and PITH...
    Thanks.

    Trust me, it was not an easy decision, and not one I made lightly. It is also why it took me a few days to formalize my thoughts and write the post that I did.

    But, when someone not only wants my civil rights violated, but is actively supporting an organization whose sole goal is to violate the civil rights of tens of millions of Americans and their families...then I have to make a Stand against it.

    One can disagree that the right of self-defense is a basic civil right, but I would simply disagree with that person; and no one should be infringing upon my choice as to the best way to protect myself, my property, and my family.

    My own and my families safety and security are just as important to me, as I am sure are Mr. Kings. I would never expect to tell him that whatever safety and security measures he chooses to utilize are improper, as long as he personally is not harming others. He should grant me, and the tens of millions of legal American gun owners that same courtesy.

    I may have drifted off course a bit in this post, however the ultimate statement is the same. The support of an organization whose main goal is to disarm millions of Americans by slowing eroding away a Constitutionally protected right, until it is no longer a right at all...goes against anything I believe in. I implore Mr. King to reconsider this decision.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    As he noted in his essay, he is not suggesting that all guns be banned or that the Second Amendment be repealed.


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay1799 View Post
    Thanks.

    Trust me, it was not an easy decision, and not one I made lightly. It is also why it took me a few days to formalize my thoughts and write the post that I did.

    But, when someone not only wants my civil rights violated, but is actively supporting an organization whose sole goal is to violate the civil rights of tens of millions of Americans and their families...then I have to make a Stand against it.

    One can disagree that the right of self-defense is a basic civil right, but I would simply disagree with that person; and no one should be infringing upon my choice as to the best way to protect myself, my property, and my family.

    My own and my families safety and security are just as important to me, as I am sure are Mr. Kings. I would never expect to tell him that whatever safety and security measures he chooses to utilize are improper, as long as he personally is not harming others. He should grant me, and the tens of millions of legal American gun owners that same courtesy.

    I may have drifted off course a bit in this post, however the ultimate statement is the same. The support of an organization whose main goal is to disarm millions of Americans by slowing eroding away a Constitutionally protected right, until it is no longer a right at all...goes against anything I believe in. I implore Mr. King to reconsider this decision.
    Tell me, do you think that slander and libel should be protected under the 1st Amendment? That you should be allowed to shout "BOMB" in an airport with no repercussions? That we should allow public nudity in all places and at all times?

    When I had civics class as a high school freshman, we were having a pretty involved discussion about freedoms (15-year-olds do have opinions and care about such things, actually) and our teacher let us fight it out for a while, and then he said one thing that left room for smaller arguments but stopped the bigger ones in their tracks. "As a US citizen, I have a lot of rights. I have the right to stand and swing my fist if I want to. But my right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins."

    Look at the statistics of gun deaths and overall homicides in the US compared with other comparable countries. Those numbers being so high? That's my nose.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    As he noted in his essay, he is not suggesting that all guns be banned or that the Second Amendment be repealed.

    That makes no difference. He is endorsing the incremental removal of a civil right.

    Would you be in favor of limiting voting? How about limiting freedom of speech? The right to a fair trial? Privacy rights? They are all civil rights.

    Again, he can think whatever he wants. It is his choice to believe anything. He could come out tomorrow and say that the experiment to grant 18 yr olds has failed. They only care about their iphones, and twitter and following the latest celebrity doings blindly without thought. Raise the voting age to 21. It is not like I am doing away with voting. I am just restricting it further! And that would be his right to say such under the first amendment.

    I would be against that as well. And if he was donating the proceeds to an organization that wanted to restrict the voting rights of millions of Americans, I would choose to no longer support him either, especially if he was at the same time saying..."Hey, I am just trying to open up a dialog here"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Great Pacific North-West
    Posts
    5,332

    Default Re: Change Brady to a charity, or give it away for free.

    Stephen King is no different from the rest of "we the people" in that he can do what he wants with his paycheck, after legal obligations, applicable fees and taxes of course.

    He also shares the right to tell the truth as he has found it, or to lie. Stephen King has proven himself time and time again to be an honest broker, but we have the right to believe what he says or not, or to not give a rats-thin-ass, and to say so. Hopefully we will present more with fact than stubborn ideology, but we don't have to. We have the right to be tools.

    And in conclusion, I submit that (LOL@mysoapbox.com) we all have the right to boycott products and services etc., for what ever reason we choose. We also have the right to sneak into Walmart in middle of the night, once in a blue moon to buy fine pistachios (not the dyed red ones either) despite boycotting said establishment. None the less, good luck to all of those who say they'll never read King again, he's just too good to quit, better even than guilty pistachios at midnight.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Uncut version? (Brady's body torn apart)
    By Dogbyte420 in forum Silver Bullet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 11th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •