Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Postal Service To Cut Saturday Mail - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postal Service To Cut Saturday Mail

Default Re: Postal Service To Cut Saturday Mail

But the president of the National Association of Letter Carriers, Fredric Rolando, said the end of Saturday mail delivery is "a disastrous idea that would have a profoundly negative effect on the Postal Service and on millions of customers," particularly businesses, rural communities, the elderly, the disabled and others who depend on Saturday delivery for commerce and communication.
    Disastrous. I do not think that word means what he thinks it means.

Seriously, people will adjust. Packages will still be delivered, so mail order meds and such won't be impacted. The only profoundly negative effect is on the mail carriers who will be missing out on Saturday employment. He knows this. He is just trying to rationalize and use emotional buzzwords like "elderly" and "disabled." I dislike that kind of intellectual dishonesty. Say what you mean, buddy. No one would blame you. You're the one guy who should care about that aspect of it.

The USPS has to do something to stay afloat. Most people use email/twitter/facebook/etc. anymore for keeping in contact with someone. Most people pay bills online, too. So, that leaves cards, packages, perscriptions and that pesky junkmail left to be physically delivered anymore. Someone suggested going with mail delivery on an every other day basis- that would put alot of USPS workers out of jobs. If they raise the price of a stamp to $1, people will not use their services and that will also put alot of people out of work. I don't know what the perfect solution would be in this case. I guess not having delivery on Saturdays is a good step. At least it's one less day to get junk mail!!!

In Ireland we haven't had Saturday post for a long time. We do sometimes get it at Christmas. You'll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    The USPS has to do something to stay afloat. Most people use email/twitter/facebook/etc. anymore for keeping in contact with someone. Most people pay bills online, too. So, that leaves cards, packages, perscriptions and that pesky junkmail left to be physically delivered anymore. Someone suggested going with mail delivery on an every other day basis- that would put alot of USPS workers out of jobs. If they raise the price of a stamp to $1, people will not use their services and that will also put alot of people out of work. I don't know what the perfect solution would be in this case. I guess not having delivery on Saturdays is a good step. At least it's one less day to get junk mail!!!
    Oh, people would pay a buck a stamp. They'd whine about it, but they'd do it. Most of them, anyway. Regardless, however much it costs the USPS to deliver a piece of mail, we should not be paying less than that.

The thing is, Congress does not give them any funding, but for some reason it gets to kick them around. This means that Congress has all the power and none of the responsibility in this case, which is always a bad combo. Conversely, the USPS has all of the responsibility and none of the power.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Also, the post office goes anywhere in the US with an address (like in the frozen tundra of middle Wisconsin) for the same amount of money as delivering someplace with a big population.
    From the US Census 2012, Wisconsin's population: 5,726,398. While that may not be the largest state population, what we lack in numbers, we make up for in brats. And beer. And cheese. And deer. Oh, and wild turkeys, the turkey population has really taken off in the last few years...

...one less day for a deluge of bills...and there's a downside?......

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by 91rewoT View Post
    From the US Census 2012, Wisconsin's population: 5,726,398. While that may not be the largest state population, what we lack in numbers, we make up for in brats. And beer. And cheese. And deer. Oh, and wild turkeys, the turkey population has really taken off in the last few years...
    Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound snarky, just using it as an example of an area with a small population. Wisconsin came to mind because we had a supplier in Boduel (go to Green Bay and make a left and drive over pot-holes for a couple of hours). Absolutely beautiful but it is a little isolated and cold. I used to have to send overnight mail there and DHL would not even go there. FedEx would not deliver there overnight either. I had to pay for overnight but it would take 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound snarky, just using it as an example of an area with a small population. Wisconsin came to mind because we had a supplier in Boduel (go to Green Bay and make a left and drive over pot-holes for a couple of hours). Absolutely beautiful but it is a little isolated and cold. I used to have to send overnight mail there and DHL would not even go there. FedEx would not deliver there overnight either. I had to pay for overnight but it would take 2 days.
    Hahaha! No offense taken at all! I thought it was funny that you picked Wisconsin as an example, and I had to respond somehow! My sister and I have been vacationing around the state (even though she's lived here all her life and I've lived here for a total of 26 years) and we've found some very isolated places - especially in the northeast. And it is pretty dang cold at times...

I wasn't kidding about the turkerys, the population is getting a little out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I wonder if Netflix is going to give me a discount now that there's one less day I can receive their DVDs?
    Nah, they'll probably raise the price.

The senator in my state says he's going to try stop this from happening. Something about it being bad for small, local businesses. We'll see how that goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12