This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the Stand or IT?

Default Re: the Stand or IT?

I'd also suggest IT as well. I just find it a slightly more engrossing read.

I know I'll get reamed for this but I am not a fan of The Stand. I recently reread it and it took me forever; and I am a lifelong SK fan who has read just about everything. I would suggest you read It first, if this is your first "long haul" with SK. To me, it's a much quicker, scarier and "fun" read.

I know I'll get reamed for this but I am not a fan of The Stand.
    ...no you won't, you simply stated your like/dislike...you didn't embellish it with the written equivalent of a toddler's temper tantrum...that's when "The Reamer" comes out of the Holy packaging...

Default The Stand or IT?

Hello, everyone!

I've decided that I want to read all of Mr.King's work. The books that I have read are The Dark Tower series (obviously), On Writing, The Shining, 'Salem's Lot, and I'm currently reading The Green Mile.

But, I'm debating on what I should read next. The Stand or IT? They're both considered to be King's best depending on who you talk to. So, I thought who better to ask than the Constant Readers on here. If y'all could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

Long days and pleasant nights to ya,

- Eld

Default Re: The Stand or IT?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Eld View Post
    Hello, everyone!

I've decided that I want to read all of Mr.King's work. The books that I have read are The Dark Tower series (obviously), On Writing, The Shining, 'Salem's Lot, and I'm currently reading The Green Mile.

But, I'm debating on what I should read next. The Stand or IT? They're both considered to be King's best depending on who you talk to. So, I thought who better to ask than the Constant Readers on here. If y'all could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

- Eld
    Ummmm...isn't that what this post is all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Eld View Post
    Hello, everyone!

- Eld
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post

I should have mentioned that I'd moved the post into this thread rather than leaving it as a new one as I thought the poster might be able to find the answers here and less chance of repetitive posts about the same topic.

If you want to read a sprawling epic, read The Stand. If you want a more intimate, homey feel, read IT.

Both books incorporate still-current issues: bullying, mental health, spirituality, violence, morality.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    ....no, it's about a blended King novel...StandorIt....

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    Interesting. Why the seasonal choice? Just curious.
    I associate The Stand with the warmer weather of Spring/Summer. I think the story meshes better with these days and nights. And likewise I associate IT with the cooler weather of Fall/Winter. I find the subject matter and energies of the story are better absorbed and comprehended around these times of the year.

Plus I feel that the seasons should always be factored in when making big life decisions like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I should have mentioned that I'd moved the post into this thread rather than leaving it as a new one as I thought the poster might be able to find the answers here and less chance of repetitive posts about the same topic.
    Got it! Thanks for the clarification Ms. Mod.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast