This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope Benedict to resign

Default Re: Pope Benedict to resign

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I wasn't assuming on my post, just speculating that that was one of a multitude of issues that would wear a much younger man down...I too respect his right to go out out as he chooses, rather than die in the traces, so to speak...
    I wasn't referring to you at all, which is why I quoted the post about "conspiracy theories" beginning. I've already seen people on Facebook asking if there will be allegations released regarding the Pope, which is what I meant by people presuming the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I wasn't referring to you at all, which is why I quoted the post about "conspiracy theories" beginning. I've already seen people on Facebook asking if there will be allegations released regarding the Pope, which is what I meant by people presuming the worst.
    ...gotcha...just my natural apologetic DNA kicking in...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmeej View Post
    Never fear... I'm sure that the next occupant of Peter's throne will drag the church all the way into the 16th century.
    Well... if you believe in the Prophecy of St. Malachy, Gloria Olivae (Glory of the Olives) will be replaced by Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), and interesting things will happen:

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the
    Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the
    seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the
    people. The End."

So... not only will the City of the Seven Hills be wiped out, but so will the line of Popes, Christ's vicars on Earth. Happy days

I respect the reasons he has provided and think it's admirable he has declared the role is too demanding of his ageing years, rather than continue on until the day he dies. He is already 85-years old, people are living a lot longer than previously so who knows how many more years he may have remained Pope? Better to admit he is no longer capable of fulfilling the role fully than to continue on just because no other Pope has ever resigned. Personally I think it's a sad world we live in when people automatically presume the worst in a situation like this.
    I was just pointing it out, not presuming anything and I'm certainly not a person that would jump to any conclusions without seeing it with my own eyes. Unfortunately (as you mention) there are those that will try to create something other than The Pope's failing health. Just look at what some shameful people were saying about Sandy Hook less than 36 hours later. A highly unusual event like this is just what the kooks need to get going......

This may set a precedent for those following him freeing them from the office if their own health fails both mentally and physically. With Easter just over the horizon his resigning now does make a lot of sense. Wonder if there is time to get a new Pope before then?

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...gotcha...just my natural apologetic DNA kicking in...
    ...it's a guy thing....just apologize when a woman says something-coz you KNOW yer gonna be at fault...it's the GG's "Survival Tip for the Perpetually Wrong"...

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiaraus View Post
    Well... if you believe in the Prophecy of St. Malachy, Gloria Olivae (Glory of the Olives) will be replaced by Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), and interesting things will happen:

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the
    Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the
    seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the
    people. The End."

So... not only will the City of the Seven Hills be wiped out, but so will the line of Popes, Christ's vicars on Earth. Happy days

Attachment 16781

Father Dougal for Pope

Okay, the Vatican have just announced they will modernise how they elect the new Pope, this time it will be like this: A bunch of Cardinals will audition for the job and a panel of three Catholic "experts" will choose 12 of them (for the 12 apostles). Then those 12 will compete in a televised weekly show doing Pope-y stuff to determine the winner. Each week one Cardinal will be eliminated by the voting Catholic public. The last two will battle it out by performing miracles live on tv (that way the winner already has points towards his sainthood later on). That's a much better way to do it than wait around for smoke to come out of the Vatican...

Yar, sometimes even us Catholics have a sensahuma!

Okay, the Vatican have just announced they will modernise how they elect the new Pope, this time it will be like this: A bunch of Cardinals will audition for the job and a panel of three Catholic "experts" will choose 12 of them (for the 12 apostles). Then those 12 will compete in a televised weekly show doing Pope-y stuff to determine the winner. Each week one Cardinal will be eliminated by the voting Catholic public. The last two will battle it out by performing miracles live on tv (that way the winner already has points towards his sainthood later on). That's a much better way to do it than wait around for smoke to come out of the Vatican...

Yar, sometimes even us Catholics have a sensahuma!

Boy oh boy, I hope this is televised in the States. I'm dying to see what Pope-y stuff entails.........LOL

Pope-y stuff!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast