Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Pope Benedict to resign - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope Benedict to resign

Default Re: Pope Benedict to resign

I was kind of surprised to see the news, too. I didn't know The Pope could just give notice like that. I can't imagine it's an easy job, and he's had it during a rough time. I wonder if he ever gots up in the morning and wished he had a more simple job, like working the counter at Vatican City's Burger King? "Te delectat FRIES cum illa?" I'm sure that Latin is as good as Brian's here:

Coincidence?

"Hours after Pope Benedict resigned, a lightning bolt was photographed hitting St. Peter's Dome at the Vatican, during a storm in Rome." http://www.coasttocoastam.com/articl...t-peter-s-dome

whoa.

Well not for nothing, but why does the Pope's personal problems, thoughts, desires, etc., outweigh the ordained appointment he has? I didn't think you could tell God "I quit", but maybe I don't understand religion that well.

Also... conclave? Why do men VOTE on who is to be Pope? Isn't that God's job? If so, wouldn't they all know who to vote for as soon as it starts? It takes debate to understand the will of God in your head? Why are the votes all done in secret if it is the will of God? Why is it only a cardinal that gets a chance? Why can't anyone be Pope if God so wills it?

Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    Why is it only a cardinal that gets a chance? Why can't anyone be Pope if God so wills it?

Just curious...
    Any Catholic male between 18 (I think) and 80 can be elected Pope.

where is Vikilynne? Hi Viki, just joshin ya.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    Also... conclave? Why do men VOTE on who is to be Pope? Isn't that God's job? If so, wouldn't they all know who to vote for as soon as it starts? It takes debate to understand the will of God in your head? Why are the votes all done in secret if it is the will of God? Why is it only a cardinal that gets a chance? Why can't anyone be Pope if God so wills it? Just curious...
    Catholicism is not magic. No man knows God's will. The cardinals pray and discern over the issue in hope that God will guide them as men to make the right decision. Many of your other questions can only be answered in long, involved answers. If you are truly curious and not just trying to "stir the pot" so to speak, I suggest you use the Internet for some good and do a little research. Many of your questions can be answered with a little research. On the other hand, if you have a closed mind and have already made your decisions about what Catholicism is and is not, then so be it.

i'm still up for SURVIVOR: VATICAN

or...would that be ..BIG BROTHER: THE FATHER EDITION

or...maybe...considering the ultimate power the new pontiff will most certainly wield...it should be called THE BIGGEST LOSER: CARDINALS AMOCK

but, seriously...it seems benedict has been edging this way for some time..and it is clear that the woieght of something has fallen up him roughly...it would not be surprising at all to know that, just like every other mortal, it is the sum total of the many troubles that have preoccupied both the pontiff and the church have taken a larger toll upon him, especially

as for the future...it would daft in the extreme not to fully understand that, barring a stealth candidate, the hard right turn of the vatican will continue onward..and whomever it was who jested that the new pope will drag the church into the 16th century is far more accurate than anyone might imagine

this pope won't vote on his succesor...but he will loom over the proceedings with a largesse of will that in no way will favor vatican II and it's pronouncements

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia A View Post

Coincidence?
    Nope. There are no co-inky-dinks in this world. I can't explain what the significance is of the lightning bolt appearing to hit St. Peter's, but it's a pretty big sign from the universe regarding something. It might as well be lit up in neon.

And Jen - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    I wonder if he ever gots up in the morning and wished he had a more simple job, like working the counter at Vatican City's Burger King? "Te delectat FRIES cum illa?"
    - I am CRYING, I'm laughing so hard over this! I kept flashing on the footage of the cardinals standing behind the Pope as he spoke his intent to abdicate in Latin - and wondered what they would have done if he'd said that! OMG - best laugh of the week, by far.

This is funny....talking about the French Canadian cardinal who is being cosidered for the job...........

Stephen Colbert has come out strongly against Cardinal Marc Ouellet to replace Pope Benedict, who resigned from the papacy Monday. The TV satirist's reason? He's Canadian.

"Cardinal Marc Ouellet is also a contender with only one major weakness: he is a Canadian," Colbert said on his late-night show Monday. "The pope cannot be polite. 'Sorry, but I think God might not want you to use a condom, eh,' won't work."

Colbert also objected to Ouellet on the grounds that the pope's iconic staff shouldn't change. "Who wants a pope whose staff looks like this?" he said, showing a photoshopped image of Ouellet dressed in pope robes and holding a Team Canada hockey stick.

Ouellet, No. 3 at the Vatican, is the head of the Vatican's office for bishops and widely believed to be among the top contenders to replace Pope Benedict.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast