This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm So Hungry I Could Eat A Horse

Default Re: I'm So Hungry I Could Eat A Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    I become queasy at the thought of slaughtering horses for consumption. I'm not PETA - it's an organization whose means of getting their message across rival those of right-to-lifers - but I simply can't think of horses as food. Not in my repertoire.
    They've been in our diet for a good long time, even before we were us.

I was working for Stephens College in Columbia, MO, and they have an excellent stable. One of the equestrian students wanted to float her paper by me. It was about slaughterhouses. She was a wee young slip of a lass, and I assumed that she would be violently opposed to reinstating the American slaughterhouses because horses are so cute and I love horses and horses are just unicorns with a haircut.

But I was wrong. She was solidly in favor of the idea, and she convinced me to favor it, as well. The sheer number of abused and neglected horses is staggering... but there's no place to put them. Some are rescues, yes, but by and large there's just too many, and they are truly suffering.

I agree with most others. Eating horse itself doesn't bother me- I like cows just as much as I like horses and have no issues eating beef. The lack of regulation and improper labeling is an issue though. Working in the animal world, there are lots of regulations for withdrawal times in cattle and such after administering medications that generally aren't followed for horses- especially pets that aren't originally intended for human consumption.

All those affected by the news are said to be in stable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    It's because they ate horsemeat during WWII. It was that or starve, and I don't blame them. Under those circumstances, I'm not sure I'd maintain my objections to eating horsemeat. It sure beats eating your children, as is purported in North Korea.

But to continue on with the consumption of horsemeat isn't doing anyone any favors, especially if it's unregulated. I have less of an issue about horses needing to be euthanized and then becoming dog food, though, especially if the horse isn't diseased but is too weak to survive much longer.

I am horse lover I could never ever eat my best friend. In our local supermarkets they sell Russian horse meat but we
    never ever buy it. Here in Finland they not slaughter horses anymore. Good I hated that too. We put them to sleep when
    it's time to let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmeej View Post
    All those affected by the news are said to be in stable condition.
    Now, let's not be putting the a la cart before the horse.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    horses are just unicorns with a haircut
    They are?? How dare those farriers and horse trainers cut off a unicorn's horn!

- It makes me ill how many horses (and other animals) are abused in the U.S. If slaughtering them for human consumption will solve a problem of suffering, at least temporarily, then I'm for it. It could feed a lot of hungry people. However, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to square my feelings about the species with looking at a piece of horse steak and associating it with Good Eats. That's a stretch for me...and hopefully I'll never be in that position to have to expand my horizons as such.

LongTallSally Guest

I'm for better labeling. I've eaten mystery meat, game, you name it. I did the world traveler thing when I was a young person. I've had 'roo. I figure if I can eat kangaroo, horse won't kill anyone. I might worry a bit about the donkey meat... I mean...

eating *ss can't be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTallSally View Post
    I'm for better labeling. I've eaten mystery meat, game, you name it. I did the world traveler thing when I was a young person. I've had 'roo. I figure if I can eat kangaroo, horse won't kill anyone. I might worry a bit about the donkey meat... I mean...

eating *ss can't be that great.
    Ever tried a balut?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Ever tried a balut?
    *gag* No, and I don't wanna.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast