This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crippled Cruise Ship

Default Re: Crippled Cruise Ship

The speed of the tow is now 1 mile per hour. Docking expected after 9PM eastern. The port has sent out customs inspectors to "clear" the passengers while on board. Am wondering if health officials are also involved. Raw sewage, ventilation issues, food--- makes one think. CNN is doing live cell phone interviews. Appears the passengers have not been informed of the departure arrangement that have been for them. Consensus is just to get their feet on solid ground.

It sounds pretty dreadful voyage for those folks.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

The inside cabins on these ships have no air circulation at all without power and A/C. It must be miserably hot inside of those cabins. This ship is just enormous. It holds about 4 times as many people as a regular sized one so there is 4 times the misery.

There is another concern I have. With no power, I don't think the ship's stabilizers can work properly. There have been reports of people complaining that the ship is leaning and water runs through the cabins. This ship is so tall and top heavy, I wonder if there is a danger of it capsizing. I've heard the channel in Mobile is kind of small for a ship this size so I hope these poor people get there without any more trouble. I can't imagine being in a situation like that. It's like a floating Superdome. At least in the Superdome, you could leave.

I just read that they had cold water, no running toilets, using he restroom in bags and food shortage. Sounds pretty bad. A boatful of smelly people and no toilets.

Once they land in Mobile they'll probably wish they could have just stayed on the ship.

update- it will now be 10:30P to midnight before they will reach port. And an additional 4-5 hours to completely get off as only one elevator is working. Special needs, ill, woman and small children first----- this sounds like a good book in the making. Thoughts are with these people.

Carnival Cruise Lines had a terminal here, politics as usual in Mobile sank that, but it's still there for the ship to dock, and the channel took the other cruise liners ok. There are some decent hotels near said terminal, so I can't figure why they're bussing all those miserable people immediately to New Orleans either...

Yes, I have a disaster story. My husband and I went on a Princess cruise on our honeymoon for nine days. The next youngest people on that ship had to be 30+ years older than us. Nine days is a long time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Yes, I have a disaster story. My husband and I went on a Princess cruise on our honeymoon for nine days. The next youngest people on that ship had to be 30+ years older than us. Nine days is a long time.....
    Did you have any books to pass the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'd heard yesterday that because the ship had drifted quite a bit off course, it was closer to Mobile than Galveston so in order to get the passengers off sooner they changed the destination. The cruise liner's president finally made a public filmed apology but you're right about not much of anything other than press release types of statements coming out before.
    Did he do this before or after being seen in public at a major sports event? I realize that there's really not much he can do at the moment personally, but he shouldn't be out in public enjoying a game while a few thousand of his paying customers are having to endure these types of conditions. This is the equivilant of how the 'big guy' who ran BP acted after one of their wells began spewing oil into the Gulf. Deplorable actions! I hope this guy has to pay out of his butt to make things right for all of those people.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast