Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Worth Reading? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth Reading?

Default Re: Worth Reading?

I'd give it an 8, great ghost story, good characters. It was hard to get into but once you give it a chance it is very good.

Solid 9.5. But that said it took me 2 reads to really get it and a third before I was able to really appreciate the fine ghost story it is.

Thankyou for all the input. I think I will indeed retry it at some point, and as someone mentioned also, I will retry Under The Dome, as my dad read it and said once you get into it it is very good!

I'm a little late, but after my first read, I would have given a it a 7 and after my second read a 9. So... A solid 8. Not one of my very favorites, but still a very good read.

And it's got a beat and you can dance to it. Thanks gnt! Stole your liner.

I loved Bag of Bones, it's definitely in my top 5 (assuming I can lump the Dark Tower in as 1). It definitely had a different feel, but to me, it totally worked. Under the Dome is one of my favourites, I hope you give it another shot!

I did something similar but when I returned to it, I enjoyed it very much and was glad I finished it. Persevere!

Bag of Bones is one of Mr. King's most literary works (however you choose to define the term). It's a gothic tale--old house, family secrets, ghosts, revenge--but it also touches on a larger, almost Lovecraftian, mythos. It isn't a fast-paced story with a flamboyant monster like Christine or IT; it's a subtle, more introspective take on the classic ghost story, with a tone often reminiscent of The Reach.

jimson Guest

I liked this one very much.

It's hard for me to say if it was one of his bests but it was good. The love story between Noonan and Mattie Devore wasn't really over the top and didn't give it too much of a "Sparks" feel in my opinion.

The story of Sara Tidwell almost had me thinking I was reading something set in the New Orleans area for some reason.

Brosnan as Michael Noonan seems an odd choice but everyone envisions their own characters when they read. Will make it a point to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    Brosnan as Michael Noonan seems an odd choice but everyone envisions their own characters when they read. Will make it a point to see the film.
    Shoulda used Tom Noonan to play Mike Noonan... that would have been a rip!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast