Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gunslingers club - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gunslingers club

Default Re: Gunslingers club

Claire we won our independence as farad I'm concerned we can do what we want. Life Liberty And the Pursuit of Happiness

i own no guns at this time...i've owned only two throughout my life: a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol; both i traded off; the rifle for the pistol...the pistol for a set of tires and a car cd player with speakers that the dude installed !

i have nothing against guns...and think most of the talk of banning is off base; it is the behavior we must attend to, not the item..

true..it might offer some semblance of safety to try and ban some of the more powerful weapons...but, once done, either the NRA line will come true and only the bad guys will carry such weapons...and still use them indiscriminately

...or the idiots already misusing their 2nd amendment rights will just revert back using smaller caliber weapons: i'm not sure what we accomplish by just having the kill ratio be possibly lowered...but let us not fool ourselves in the slightest: people will still die, nonetheless

there is a greater societal problem that must be addressed in all this... but banning things never works the way we wish it would...if that were the case, there's be no drug problem...kids wouldn't smoke cigarettes...there'd be no drunk drivers and no drunk driving deaths...

all this talk about banning is just a power grab that resolves absolutely nothing except to inhibit the freedom (not the 2nd amendment version...just the everyday version) ...it might let you sleep a little better...but that is about it

now...regulation...tighter regulations...regulations that put the onus of being responsible on the individual...that i would be behind 100%

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    As a Brit, I have been following your threads on here regarding guns,with interest. I find the idea of ordinary folks carrying guns as wierd as... as... well I struggle to find a comparison because it is so "off the scale" to me. I struggle to understand your deeply embedded "right to bare arms" attitude. .
    Me too.

And I am an American.

To the OP, there are several threads spanning 40 something pages on this subject. The post about the mass school shooting in this very section of the forum is one of them, as well as several in the "Guns" sub-section of the Non-Fiction forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterloper View Post
    Claire we won our independence as farad I'm concerned we can do what we want. Life Liberty And the Pursuit of Happiness
    ...ease off dude, she isn't disputing any of that...just expressing her thoughts as an "outsider" so to speak, and how in her country-our laws and such are hard for her to "absorb...so stop thumping your chest and let people comment as they see fit...that's part of our Democracy too...

Probably too old an expression for you to be familiar with, TheInterloper, as you are apparently quite young, but it's comments like that that have earned us the pejorative term Ugly American.

This quote is not in the Constitution, as I'm sure you know. It is a statement in the Declaration of Independence. While I doubt anyone disagrees with the sentiment, it has nothing to do with whether or not you have a right to a gun. As far as you are concerned, the sky might be pink with polka dots. Your opinion is not automatically fact or fiction. The simple truth is we, as Americans, cannot do what we want. We have regulations and laws which govern us and do impede upon the happiness of some. We have all sorts of creepy people out there who claim their rights are being violated and their happiness denied because we won't allow them to have "relationships" with young boys. Do you see where your logic (or lack thereof) falls apart? Society exists because it creates rules by we coexist and it isn't a Utopia where we can do "what we want."

The right to bear arms in the United States is an important one. For better or for worst, it is part of our national identity and psychology. All that being said, the Constitution only states that you have the right to bear arms. It also stipulates how such things are to be REGULATED. It isn't open season on anything you want. You don't get to have a nuclear weapon in your garage. We don't allow just anyone to keep Anthrax in a jar in their garage. We don't allow people to carry rocket launchers, and most people agree that cop-killer bullets are not for public consumption.

Love it or leave, the good old USA can (and does) tell us what to do.

true that, ms mod and G : all these 'hot button' issues are only made worse when the people completely miss the point and acts as if someone is 'out to get 'em'...or 'their rights'

it is this sort of attitude on the part of too, too many who just can't seem to wrap their meager minds around a society built upon allowing, even encouraging a plethora of views...rather than just theirs

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

So, your an anarchist then?...kewl.
    No really, I'm down with it, been ready for it my whole life, why it's one of my most favorite wet dream type fantasies, I mean the taking, of course there will be the ubiquitous pillaging type stuff, and then ultimately the owning of my very own mountain top stronghold for me and all of mine to rule our roost & roosters...hey, um, which mountain is yorn did ya say, and is it pretty?...I only ask because I loooooves me a nice view, makes me happy, that, and doin' whatever it is I want, whenever it is I want, and maybe even to whomever it is I want if it makes me happy...you know, if they can't stop me, right, right, huh huh, am I right?...oh yeeeeahhhh babes, whatta country!
    Cue Mr. Rogers 'Won't You Be My Neighbor', in three, two....

I'm sorry if I caused offence by my original comment. GNTLGNT is quite right, i'm looking at it from a complete outsiders view, 'tis all.

No need for apology as far as I can see--you were giving your POV and most of us understood and had no problem with that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast