Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Roadkill Dining - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadkill Dining

Default Re: Roadkill Dining

A few years ago, the county commissioner back in my little hometown in western PA wanted to feed roadkill to inmates of the county jail. His reasoning: About once a day, someone in the county hits a deer with a car or truck. One carcass alone can yield up to 120 quarter-pound burgers and serving roadkill would reduce food cost $2.30 per day per prisoner. Nothing ever came of it. Well, except it was "fodder" for a lot of jokes...

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    A few years ago, the county commissioner back in my little hometown in western PA wanted to feed roadkill to inmates of the county jail. His reasoning: About once a day, someone in the county hits a deer with a car or truck. One carcass alone can yield up to 120 quarter-pound burgers and serving roadkill would reduce food cost $2.30 per day per prisoner. Nothing ever came of it. Well, except it was "fodder" for a lot of jokes...
    I ain't never had prison food before, but from what I've heard of it, venison burger sounds better than what they usually get.

There is also a Roadkill Cafe in northern California, I have the apron to prove it. Seriously, the very idea gives me the heebie jeebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    And don't forget about the turtles!!!
    Not many turtles in the NC mountains.....but you're right, I'd stop for them too!
    ....I'll put on the brakes for any living creature, other than a spider or snake

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    I ain't never had prison food before, but from what I've heard of it, venison burger sounds better than what they usually get.
    ....zzzzzzzzzzgoogle "meal-loaf" sometime....

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    Not many turtles in the NC mountains.....but you're right, I'd stop for them too!
    ....I'll put on the brakes for any living creature, other than a spider or snake

We have a brilliant program called Top Gear here, it's a motor based program, where 3 blokes take road trips etc in different cars to test them etc, and get up to adventures. On the American episodes, one of the "tasks" they had to do was camp for the night, cooking only road kill for dinner. One squashed something or other, they sent Jeremy Clarkson out to find something with a bit more meat on it. The shot of him coming through a field with an absolutely enormous cow strapped to his roof still makes me chuckle. His reasoning for this was he found it "dead by the road, so it's road kill". They had to do several hand brake turns to get it off. Where it sat bloating and stinking next to their very small bbq. They went hungry instead.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....zzzzzzzzzzgoogle "meal-loaf" sometime....

Yuck and double yuck

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    We have a brilliant program called Top Gear here, it's a motor based program, where 3 blokes take road trips etc in different cars to test them etc, and get up to adventures. On the American episodes, one of the "tasks" they had to do was camp for the night, cooking only road kill for dinner. One squashed something or other, they sent Jeremy Clarkson out to find something with a bit more meat on it. The shot of him coming through a field with an absolutely enormous cow strapped to his roof still makes me chuckle. His reasoning for this was he found it "dead by the road, so it's road kill". They had to do several hand brake turns to get it off. Where it sat bloating and stinking next to their very small bbq. They went hungry instead.
    I like that show. The episode you mentioned sounds vaguely familiar to me. It's definitely something I can picture Clarkson doing.

Roadkill can feed a lot of raptors. Eagles, hawks and such.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast