Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Stephen Kings sobriety Date ! - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kings sobriety Date !

Default Re: Stephen Kings sobriety Date !

like I can totally explain that Polaroid of me in that ssssmokin' pink chiffon prom dress, honest

...yeah, but you accessorized it with muck-boots, and that's unforgiveable...

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...yeah, but you accessorized it with muck-boots, and that's unforgiveable...
    But butt, they were from the Fabulous Farmer's Daughter collection at Sears & Go Bucknekkid.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    ...um, okay, like I can totally explain that Polaroid of me in that ssssmokin' pink chiffon prom dress, honest!
    I always wondered what happened to my prom dress......

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    I always wondered what happened to my prom dress......
    That was you in there!?..h my god, but we might be cuzzes..oh yeah, right, we might be cuzzes!

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    According to Wikipedia...

The first novel he wrote after quitting drugs and alcohol was Needful Things.
    ...and I adore that story. Leland Gaunt is one of his most memorable evil characters, but I also love the development of Alan Pangborn as a cop who has learned to re-trust his instincts. And then there's always the final chapter of Ace Merrill's, um, interesting existence.
    I love re-reading it for all the references to other SK stories, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    I doubt that a former alcoholic or drug addict likes to be reminded of castaway days perhaps bringing back ugly memories and sad times for the entire family. As blunthead shows, if you really need to soothe your curiosity, Tiny, and find out what year Stephen got a grip on his addictions then google it. Who wants to be embarrassed on his own international site by his own fans twenty years later for mistakes that almost cost him his family and perhaps more?

No offence, just my opinion.
    People in recovery, as mentioned in recovery literature, "don't live in the past but don't shut the door on it either."

One of the greatest gifts of recovery is sharing your "experience, strength and hope" with others. When prominent public figures speak about their recovery, it shows humility, 'keeps them honest,' and inspires other people in recovery, most especially the newcomer. It's a personal testament that people can, and do, recover and sometimes go on to live very successful lives.

I have found that people who work an honest program don't wallow in shame. Their focus is on life in recovery, and part of that, in my opinion, is facing their past mistakes with humility, grace, and a sense of humor.

Perhaps I overreacted or spoke to soon. I am also the type to be open and unashamed of my past, mistakes and all.

Salute to Mr King for his winning fight over alcoholism. We all the know story and stories. That's it, for me.

I think it was a reasonable question for Tiny. Ayko, I agree with you that not everyone wants to be reminded of an addiction...it is a terribly dark time for many folks and, sometimes, it should be best left alone. A strole down memory lane is not always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    I doubt that a former alcoholic or drug addict likes to be reminded of castaway days perhaps bringing back ugly memories and sad times for the entire family. As blunthead shows, if you really need to soothe your curiosity, Tiny, and find out what year Stephen got a grip on his addictions then google it. Who wants to be embarrassed on his own international site by his own fans twenty years later for mistakes that almost cost him his family and perhaps more?

No offence, just my opinion.
    I believe you are mistaken.
    it is unlikely that Mr King is 'ashamed' of his alcoholism in the manner you
    describe above. Those of us who have "come through" do not
    have the same attitudes about 'stuff' that you (all "earth people") do.

He has spoke of his addiction many times in public, but not at length...
    this , almost certainly, is because he doesnt want to set him self up
    as a "poster child" .

As a fellow drunk, who has "been there and returned" I can say
    , with no doubt, that he doesnt mind us (me) talking bout it here.
    I can say this with 99% certainty .

No one is "proud" of their addiction, but many of us are proud of
    our recovery .

The very first post I made on this site (or second) was called
    "The A word";; its a thread in 1408. check it out.

I do not know Mr. King...but I know of what I speak.
    signed - Tiny, sober 11 years .

Nicely done, Tiny. Hope that streak continues one day at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast