This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Obesity

Default Re: Animal Obesity

Actually, vets are typically not trained in animal nutrition. They tend to push Science Diet because it is advantageous if they do. I tend to take my vet's nutritional advice with a grain of salt and do research myself. Not all foods work for all animals. (My cats are on a grain-free, lower fat and protein diet because that is what they do well on).

Science Diet is a crappy food, IMO.

I did have an issue with Kramer gaining more weight (he is Whitey's brother and of similar build just short-haired) since we had to trough feed while we were out of town for three weeks out of two months over the holidays. They absolutely gorged themselves. Kramer gained about a pound and a half, and Percy didn't gain anything because he's insanely active. He's back down to where he should be because I have really limited his intake (and I bought a puzzle bowl that they both hate. They eat it all though, it just takes them longer to begrudgingly do it. They just can't gorge themselves on the entire bowl at once anymore).

I tend to think fat animals are kind of gross and not at all cute in the slightest.

The biggest thing for your animal is to find a food that works well with their tolerances, less grain tends to be better for them, substitute treats for food (so if you feed a half cup in treats that day, take them out of their total daily intake), and if you feed them people food, don't feed them fried or heavily processed foods.

Also, take your dog for walks. It is good for you and good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Was chuckling about the cat being dubbed the Round Mound of Purring Sound and then aghast when I read that the owners had intended to have him euthanized because he'd gotten so fat, could no longer even get in his litter box, etc.
    These are the people I want to hurt.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I've used Science Diet for Ozzy and have always been able to keep his weight in a good range so I'm kind of partial to it but you are right, every animal is different and what works good for one, may not be right for another.

One of the problems with figuring this stuff out is that we don't eat the food ourselves (at least I hope we don't) and our animals don't speak so it's hard to figure out what is just right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Science Diet is a crappy food, IMO.
    As Todash and Lily Sawyer can atest to, I have had serious problems finding foods for my lady felines. The vet just recently put them on a Science Diet diet. My little baby started pooping blood. Needless to say that diet didn't last long. I switched right back to their previous food and soon I'm going to start them on a raw diet.

I have tried Science Diet multiple times in the past due to vet recommendations but this was definitely the worst experience. I would really recommend people stay away from it.

All of my cats have been little manipulaters. They know how to work the room when it comes to wanting treats.

I know how that goes, Shasta. My old lady kitty was put on Science Diet because the vet said her kidneys were failing. (They weren't at that point. Needless to say, I didn't go back.) I didn't like Science Diet before then and was a little hesitant to put her on it, anyway. While I was researching actual diets for cats with kidney failure, she constantly threw it up and lost even more weight. (She was on it for a week. The vet had also told me it was ok to feed this food to my healthy cat. It is not.) On doing research for their kidney formula, I was not impressed with their findings. It compared feeding a grocery store brand to feeding Science Diet, and to that I say duh. I ain't buying it; of course Science Diet is better than Special Kitty. There is also separate research indicating that a low protein diet (which is what the Science Diet Kidney formula is) is only a bad thing for cats and any advantage of preserving the kidneys is thrown out the window when their body starts eating itself to get the protein they need.

Science Diet was a good food...20 years ago. Animal nutrition has come quite a ways since then, and they are stuck in the past. They have recently started offering grain free foods, but their ingredients compare with some other brands that are significantly cheaper.

All that said, some animals handle grains really well, and some do beautifully on the standard Science Diet. Their coats are good, and their weight is healthy. I say, more power to their owners and them.

I will always feed a natural, grain free food, because it makes a huge difference, if with nothing else, in coat feel and dander amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    I will always feed a natural, grain free food, because it makes a huge difference, if with nothing else, in coat feel and dander amounts.
    I couldn't agree with this more. My cats are on grain-free and their coats have never been so beautiful and soft!

Every commercial animal food company will claim theirs is the best. It's known as business. Just take a look at the social group- Dogs, Cats, Critters and read the recall listings.
    The consumer, pet companion has to be aware of what is in the foods they feed. As many know, my daughter works for a vet. Your eyes would be opened to see what is recommended. And yes, vets, for the most part, are not aware of animal nutrition-- other than what a food rep will tell them.

here is one of the best books available for natural nutrition and health for critters:
    Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats [Paperback]
    Richard H. Pitcairn (Author), Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Author)

My cats are on grain-free and their coats have never been so beautiful and soft!

...mine either!.....since I gave up my Gaines Burger habit....

Something to be aware of, too, is that a company may make a decent dog food and a terrible cat food. I haven't a clue why, but there ya go.

Part of the issue with SD, I think, is that it's the only widely available prescription food out there. But for cats, at least, the ingredients are terrible: mostly corn, then chicken by-products. (I have heard the dog version is better.) That is to say, non-muscle chicken parts, far less digestible than muscle. I will not use it.

Also, as with people food, there is no law requiring a notice of formula change. Every time I buy a bag of cat food, I flip it around to check the ingredients. Every single time.

I feel sorry for people who don't have easy access to decent pet food.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast