This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Obesity

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Animal Obesity

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Science Diet was a good food...20 years ago.
    This statement that atomicinchworm made brings up another issue:

Just because a product used to be good doesn't mean it's still the same product. We live in an age of big companies being bought and sold constantly and the quality of your favorite brand can be seriously compromised in these transactions. When a company is purchased for a large sum of money, the first thing the new ownership seems to want to do is start finding ways to save money and the product quality can suffer. Many of these transactions are for quick profit and the new ownership may not even care about what they have purchased.

I buy a lot of paint in my line of work and I'll find that all of the sudden, a top quality product that I've used for years doesn't seem the same anymore. After a little research, I discover that the paint company was sold and things have changed. I'm sure the same thing happens with pet food.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I buy a lot of paint in my line of work and I'll find that all of the sudden, a top quality product that I've used for years doesn't seem the same anymore. After a little research, I discover that the paint company was sold and things have changed. I'm sure the same thing happens with pet food.
    This is absolutely the case. It is the case with Nutro, which was a top notch food that has been inundated with poor quality ingredients when they were bought out by Mars. It just seems crazy to me that people will purchase these foods when they are at the price point they are when there are so much better foods available for cheaper. Or at least not much different in price.

Todash is also absolutely correct about companies with different quality cat food over dog food. Iams, for example, has ok dog food. I wouldn't feed it, but as long as your dog tolerates corn well, it is a perfectly ok option. Their cat food is absolute crap. It's like the company takes everything leftover from the dog food processing and sweeps it into the cat food.

I had Mao on Purina One hairball formula kibble, and half a can daily of Friskies wet food. He loved it all and did really well on it. But - this was an indoor-outdoor cat, so he was burning off the calories and needed them. He was never fat and his weight fluctuated only a pound between winter and summer.
    I never wanted him to end up looking like this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    I had Mao on Purina One hairball formula kibble, and half a can daily of Friskies wet food. He loved it all and did really well on it. But - this was an indoor-outdoor cat, so he was burning off the calories and needed them. He was never fat and his weight fluctuated only a pound between winter and summer.
    I never wanted him to end up looking like this guy:

I seriously want that cat. Wook at his widdle face!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    He's actually a feline with a thyroid problem, which isn't so common for cats. I want him, too! His owners are very good at taking care of him, though.....he's gotten the meds he needs and has slimmed down. I love his tiger markings.

...widdle?...that things head is bigger than a coupla canned hams...which apparently was it's daily diet as well!....

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    He's actually a feline with a thyroid problem, which isn't so common for cats. I want him, too! His owners are very good at taking care of him, though.....he's gotten the meds he needs and has slimmed down. I love his tiger markings.
    Maybe I need the owners to take care of me...I can't seem to get a handle on my weight since my thyroid went wacko!

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    Maybe I need the owners to take care of me...I can't seem to get a handle on my weight since my thyroid went wacko!
    Oh my god I have the EXACT same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    Oh my god I have the EXACT same problem!
    Me too, isn't it awful? The last couple of days I've been really drained, and had a massive issue waking up. Every time I opened my eyes I felt drowsy...then I remembered I hadn't taken my meds for a couple of days. Doh!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Me too, isn't it awful? The last couple of days I've been really drained, and had a massive issue waking up. Every time I opened my eyes I felt drowsy...then I remembered I hadn't taken my meds for a couple of days. Doh!!
    Who knew such a teeny tiny gland could wreak such havoc? With EVERYTHING!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast