Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Wish you hadn't of............ - Page 10

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Wish you hadn't of............

jimson Guest

Default Re: Wish you hadn't of............

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Not sure why you're reading Mr. King's comments as critical of Conservatives. They are critical only of extremists. The two examples you referred to are Oswald on the left and Palin on the right.
    Kind of depends what you consider extreme. Lee Harvey Oswald is extreme, the Westboro Baptist Church is extreme. I don't put Palin in that category.

If you all want to converse about a different subject, then see my posts in the novels section. As long as you keep making comments here I will reply, after all don't want to be a hit and run troll, do I?

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    Kind of depends what you consider extreme. Lee Harvey Oswald is extreme, the Westboro Baptist Church is extreme. I don't put Palin in that category.
    These days, almost everyone puts Palin in the "nutjob" category.

If you all want to converse about a different subject, then see my posts in the novels section. As long as you keep making comments here I will reply, after all don't want to be a hit and run troll, do I?
    Now, now, don't get pissy. I specifically said that I don't think you're a troll. You made one post, then didn't return to it for more than a week, so we assumed that you were a drive-by and wouldn't return. That happens pretty frequently.

I'm glad that you did return, if only to defend your arguments and facilitate discussion. Some have said that they're sick of this thread--if so, then they probably should refrain from clicking on it.

That said, I doubt that we're going to agree on the specifics. I think that Palin is an extremist media-whore. You disagree with my assessment. I think that we can both agree, though, that her rhetoric does not approach the extremist actions of Oswald. Maybe we should meet on that common ground and just leave it there.

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    These days, almost everyone puts Palin in the "nutjob" category.

Now, now, don't get pissy. I specifically said that I don't think you're a troll.

That really wasn't addressed to you specifically.

Probably shouldn't go off into the general political realm but yes, Palin's rhetoric comes no where near the extremist actions of Oswald. I would accept a comparison of her to Democrat Alan Grayson of Florida and his "Republican healthcare plan is for you to die quickly" rhetoric.

You can't be standing anywhere near the center to consider her to be more extreme than someone like him.

Oswald? about the only "right wing" counterpart I can think of that compares to him might be McVeigh.

I suppose to the victor go the spoils and the winner gets to redefine what is extreme by moving the center significantly left, but I don't accept it.

Back to the subject at hand. While there is a concerted effort to paint those who do not support a ban on currently legal firearms as the extreme ones, I consider those who favor total prohibition of firearms ownership to be extreme. This is who King is supporting by directly funneling the proceeds of his essay to the Brady Center.

If the proceeds went to a fund for the families of Sandy Hook or to some mental health organization, I would gladly purchase and read the essay.

While I might overlook his book afterward comments and the veiled support of Democrats that appear in his novels, in my opinion, he crossed a line in supporting an extremist organization.

I don't expect to be agreed with, but that is how I feel.

wish you hadn't of...put that thumb tack on the cute cheerleaders chair

wish you hadn't of...forged your parents siganture on the 'f' report card just days before the parent /teacher conferences...

wish you hadn't of...let the beloved cat out on a dark and snowy night...bye-bye, kitty

wish you hadn't of...sold that 'revenge of the jedi' poster right before they changed the title... DOH !

wish you hadn't of...told them you didn't know which end to light

wish you hadn't of...paid $$ to see 'spaced invaders'

jimson Guest

I have found this board to be unusual in the way it is laid out and also have never experienced a forum where all posts are held up for review.

Because I didn't see all the sub forums, I did not realize that this conversation was taking place somewhere else and I erred in starting a new one here.

Any other thoughts I have on this issue, I will post in the appropriate forum and allow this thread to die.

Cheers,
    Jim

I moved it to Hot Topics because that's where debates that can become contentious start or end up. It appeared that's where this one was headed. There wasn't a need to start yet another one.

Never said he didn't have the right, only that he is in danger of losing a constant reader by doing so. Haven't decided yet.

Perhaps I'll keep reading, but put my hardback collection on e-bay and donate the proceeds to the NRA, LOL.
    That's absolutely your choice.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Perhaps I'll keep reading, but put my hardback collection on e-bay and donate the proceeds to the NRA, LOL.
    How freakin' far out, a tool with a sense of humor...~sniff~ I find my toolbox such an emotionally vapid place

Thanks to the OP, for I had not heard of this essay and will soon plunk down my 99 cents!

Also, I think it foolish to cease reading the works of an author you enjoy because you do not share his or her beliefs. I'm not a foaming at the mouth racist but I still love me some H.P. Lovecraft!

One of my favorite movies is by a director who sodomized a 13-year-old girl. One of my favorite musicians is notorious for beating his girlfriends. I made a decision long ago to just enjoy the art, without worrying about the defective personalities of the people who make/made it.

If someone wants to deprive themselves of something good to make a point, that's their right, but it would exhaust me to research an artist's opinion, politics, beliefs, criminal record, etc., before I allowed myself to enjoy their work.

Just my opinion.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910