Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Wish you hadn't of............ - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish you hadn't of............

Default Re: Wish you hadn't of............

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    I think it is unfortunate that the member who began this thread is labeled a troll. So much for empathy. He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. --William Drummond.
    I don't think he's a troll, but he posted the OP and hasn't returned to the board since, so he's a drive-by. I would add to Drummond's quote: he who does not return to the thread has no interest in conversation.

I understand your feelings, jimson, for I share those feelings about wanting to read anything new from Stephen King. That others cannot understand those feelings is a sad affair. King wrote about those who are quick to send their feelings, thoughts, what have you...out there. I don't have the exact wording in front of me, but evidence of that is all around us.
    Your call. Nobody really cares what you read.

I fear that in the end the lack of discourse will lead to troubled times. Some have said that we are in the early stages of Civil War II.
    Those people are fools. That, or they're trying to sell you something.

People are choosing sides, targeting the other, ostracizing the other...and it'd be a blue-eyed wonder if we can ever go back to the kind of constructive debate that I'm led to believe was the norm.
    That has never been the norm, not really. Today's polarization, though, is unusual. A large part of it is due to the fragmenting and implosion of a once-mighty political party that is yearly growing more and more irrelevent and is desperately entrenching itself deeper into the muck.

I think it is unfortunate that the member who began this thread is labeled a troll. So much for empathy. He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. --William Drummond.

I understand your feelings, jimson, for I share those feelings about wanting to read anything new from Stephen King. That others cannot understand those feelings is a sad affair. King wrote about those who are quick to send their feelings, thoughts, what have you...out there. I don't have the exact wording in front of me, but evidence of that is all around us.

And I'll hazard that the millions Mr. King has made by the sale of his work are an unfortunate product that is but a small portion of the money spent trying to create the kind of utopia that more often has resulted in dystopia. I've heard and read the expression, how could they allow this to happen! Well, sheesh, it seems like every day brings us closer to something happening...and the anonymity of the web certainly doesn't help, either.

I fear that in the end the lack of discourse will lead to troubled times. Some have said that we are in the early stages of Civil War II. People are choosing sides, targeting the other, ostracizing the other...and it'd be a blue-eyed wonder if we can ever go back to the kind of constructive debate that I'm led to believe was the norm.
    I'll 'hazard' that you're certainly off to a great start here at the SKMB. Of the three posts of yours that I've read, you have done nothing but call our members names and show dismay towards us. What's YOUR deal? 'King wrote about those who are quick to send their feelings, thoughts, what have you....out there.' Is this not exactly what you are doing? You joined this board to obviously let everyone here know YOUR thoughts about King's essay and his stance on the gun control issue, obviously you don't agree with his words (or most of ours either). You're not here to discuss his works, movies, etc. from what I can tell. Seems like you're only here to make a few enemies and ruffle some feathers. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    I don't think he's a troll, but he posted the OP and hasn't returned to the board since, so he's a drive-by. I would add to Drummond's quote: he who does not return to the thread has no interest in conversation.

Your call. Nobody really cares what you read.

Those people are fools. That, or they're trying to sell you something.

That has never been the norm, not really. Today's polarization, though, is unusual. A large part of it is due to the fragmenting and implosion of a once-mighty political party that is yearly growing more and more irrelevent and is desperately entrenching itself deeper into the muck.

Thank you for your reasoned response...a bit better than the response in the other thread...did you use the expression "dumb"? If not, I apologize...someone did. Actually, if you are suggesting that "a once-mighty political party" is this that the other...think again. I assume you mean the GOP. In 2010, I believe there were 25 states w/GOP-controlled state legislatures. In 2012, that number became 30. So no, though the national GOP party seems to be on the ropes, according to some, at the state level, things are taking the same kind of course they took years ago.

But I do thank you for your warm response.

Oh la!

But I'm discoursing!
    I think we'd all be much more willing to discourse but I think we are all SO tired of this conversation. It's been going on and on and on since the essay came out and we just really want to get back to normal. You can go back and look at all our threads on this very topic if you'd like to see our arguments both for and against the essay.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I'll 'hazard' that you're certainly off to a great start here at the SKMB. Of the three posts of yours that I've read, you have done nothing but call our members names and show dismay towards us. What's YOUR deal? 'King wrote about those who are quick to send their feelings, thoughts, what have you....out there.' Is this not exactly what you are doing? You joined this board to obviously let everyone here know YOUR thoughts about King's essay and his stance on the gun control issue, obviously you don't agree with his words (or most of ours either). You're not here to discuss his works, movies, etc. from what I can tell. Seems like you're only here to make a few enemies and ruffle some feathers. What gives?

King wrote in his essay...or perhaps it was elsewhere, related to that essay, that if said essay generates discourse, he has done his job. What part of my discourse do you disagree with? And please tell me or show me...either way will work...where I have "done nothing but call our members names". I joined the board and have posted my thoughts. That you and others apparently have little or no regard for my thoughts on the matter is par for the course. Do not be troubled. I know full well that it is unlikely that I will be welcomed here. I can accept that. Until I leave and trouble you no more, all I can say is to repeat what I wrote in my opener--that is it disheartening to be marginalized. Surely you can empathize with those feelings.

Thank you for your reasoned response...a bit better than the response in the other thread...did you use the expression "dumb"? If not, I apologize...someone did. Actually, if you are suggesting that "a once-mighty political party" is this that the other...think again. I assume you mean the GOP. In 2010, I believe there were 25 states w/GOP-controlled state legislatures. In 2012, that number became 30. So no, though the national GOP party seems to be on the ropes, according to some, at the state level, things are taking the same kind of course they took years ago.

But I do thank you for your warm response.
    Please try to keep the discussion on topic. This thread is not for general politics, there are other Forums for that kind of discussion.
    Thank you.

~ FlakeNoir
    Moderator.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Thank you for your reasoned response...a bit better than the response in the other thread...did you use the expression "dumb"? If not, I apologize...someone did.
    Yup, that was me. Godwinization is always dumb. Every time.

King wrote in his essay...or perhaps it was elsewhere, related to that essay, that if said essay generates discourse, he has done his job. What part of my discourse do you disagree with? And please tell me or show me...either way will work...where I have "done nothing but call our members names". I joined the board and have posted my thoughts. That you and others apparently have little or no regard for my thoughts on the matter is par for the course. Do not be troubled. I know full well that it is unlikely that I will be welcomed here. I can accept that. Until I leave and trouble you no more, all I can say is to repeat what I wrote in my opener--that is it disheartening to be marginalized. Surely you can empathize with those feelings.
    Yep. I think everyone feels like that from time to time. It's tiring. I also think that there is a whole big group that has been used to being in charge for centuries now, and it must be unnerving to feel oneself sliding into minority status. (Of course, this whole time it's been fine for the minorities, right?)

But the arguments both for and against this particular topic have been beaten to death here the last several weeks, and there is literally no point whatsoever to coming here, saying "I'll never read King again," and leaving. Seriously, why bother? The OP was a troll. That is what trolls do best: start stuff for no reason.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be welcomed here, by the way. Most of the people who politicize here are left of center, but certainly not all. I think you'll find, too, that people here do not hold grudges. Come, be friendly, chat. Make political points in the appropriate area (debates) if you feel the need--but prepare to be challenged, to defend your stance. If that is uncomfortable, and I know from experience it can be uncomfortable to be the only one trying to make your point even if you think the facts back you up, then ... just don't. Personally, I've avoided the gun threads for weeks now and feel mentally healthier for it.

Oh la!

But I'm discoursing!
    ...you're also opening up an avenue of "discussion" here, that as a new member-you should have avoided at all costs. Do NOT presume to know our minds and hearts..nor tell us how we should behave, when someone fits the definition of "troll" we'll call them out on it. If the OP needed a "guardian" then they shouldn't have stated what and how they did. I'm all for free discussion of points that run counter to mine, but don't come into our family and pull the written equivalent of a toddler temper tantrum-then vanish into the web...AND in your case sir, it's only polite when entering someone elses "house" to first get to know the residents-instead of crapping on their lawn....you are always welcome here, but you should probably find a pinch of humility and respect first...

Do not be troubled.
    ...no worries on that account....

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast