This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Wish you hadn't of............

Default Re: Wish you hadn't of............

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    ...unfortunately I'm taking my cat to the vet to be put to sleep. She's ancient, 22, guess that's proof she's had a great life! Cheerio folks.
    Bless your cat's heart, Ally, and yours. 22 years might be a record. She must have been loved.

(((((Ally)))))

I'm so sorry about your cat Ally, but sounds like she had a long good life with you. She did have her forever home with you.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

jimson Guest

Wow! I was unable to get into here for some time and now see what a discussion I started (Mods, please delete the post I made in politics, I was unaware that this had ever been approved.)

First of all as long as the proceeds of his essay go to the Brady Center, I will never read the essay. The Brady Center is on record as stating that total firearm prohibition is their goal. a bit further than banning so-called assault rifles I would say. If someond posts it somewhere where I can read it without contributing money to that organization, i will be happy to.

I will not apologize to any of you for my being Conservative, and am simply lamenting the fact that my favorite author apparently publicly and visibly supports causes I abhor.

Of course it's more than just the gun issue.

I will simply repost what I had written in the political forum, cleaned up a little, when I mistakenly thought this thread was never approved.

In the afterword of his book "11-22-63" about a time travelers attempt to prevent the Kennedy assassination, he wrote:

"This is an afterword, not an editorial, but I hold strong opinions on this subject particularly given the current political climate of my country. If you want to know what political extremism can lead to, look at the Zapruder film. Take particular note of frame 313, where Kennedy's head explodes."

Now I could be mistaken, but I would wager a years salary that he isn't referencing Occupy Wall Street or Code Pink rather than the Tea Party, and this is particularly stupid since you can't get more left wing than Lee Harvey Oswald.

In the afterward of his book "Full Dark no stars" He writes: "I can remember reading George Orwell's 1984 at the age of 13 or so with growing dismay , anger, and outrage, charging through the pages and gobbling up the story as fast as I could and what's wrong with that? Especially since I continue to think about it today when some politician (I'm thinking of Sarah Palin and her scurrilous "death-panel" remarks) has some success in convincing the public that white is really black , or vice-versa."

WTF? talk about convincing the public that white is really black. Using ultra left wing historical misdeeds to indict the right wing??

Regardless of how you feel about Sarah Palin, if you think the idea of so-called death panels came completely out of the blue, consider the democrat idea of mandatory end of life counseling for seniors. You might also want to check out a book by Obama's first HHS Secretary choice Tom Daschle, entitled "Critical" in which he suggests that seniors need to accept the maladies of aging rather than treating them and praises other cultures for simply accepting possible terminal illness rather than fighting to live.

Now he weighs in on gun control by writing an essay "On Guns."

I'll never read it even though it's on sale for kindle for 99 cents because the proceeds go to the Brady Center to prevent Gun Violence.

This is significant, because that organization didn't declare victory and disband after the Brady Bill was signed and they are on record as stating that their ultimate goal is the complete prohibition of firearms ownership, a bit further than banning so-called assault rifles I'd say.

Kind of strange for a writer whose book heroes and heroines often use firearms to protect themselves and defeat evil protagonists.

Now I am conflicted. As much as I love his stories, can I in good conscience ever buy another one of his books?

He appears to be just another celebrity who abuses his popularity, arrogantly crapping on roughly half of his fan base.

King, why can't you just shut the hell up and write your stories?

Thanks for ruining it for me.

"This is an afterword, not an editorial, but I hold strong opinions on this subject particularly given the current political climate of my country. If you want to know what political extremism can lead to, look at the Zapruder film. Take particular note of frame 313, where Kennedy's head explodes."

Actually, I think he's very clearly refering to the POLITICAL CLIMATE and not one party or the other. Extremism has gone insane on both sides, hence the term political climate.

Why do you feel like you can say what you want but he should just "shut the hell up and write?" Did he give away his right to free speech when he became famous? Because you clearly feel like free speech is something to use. Why do you get that benefit and he shouldn't?

And I hate to tell you but I would be willing to bet that other books you bought of his with your money ended up going to charities you didn't like. This one just happens to be advertised.

jimson Guest

I understand what you are saying, however if an entertainer quietly supports any organization I disagree with, at least I don't have to know about it. Mr King is an author, not a political commentator.

Once an entertainer publicly sticks one toe into political advocacy, I consider it an abuse of his popularity. That is just my opinion.

I certainly don't have the giant venue in which to express my views that he does. That is why I don't consider it the same as a layperson expressing their 1st amendment rights, and why I consider it exploitation.

He certainly has the right to do so, and I suppose he has enough money that he doesn't care if he pisses off a significant number of his fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    Wow! I was unable to get into here for some time and now see what a discussion I started (Mods, please delete the post I made in politics, I was unaware that this had ever been approved.)

First of all as long as the proceeds of his essay go to the Brady Center, I will never read the essay. The Brady Center is on record as stating that total firearm prohibition is their goal. a bit further than banning so-called assault rifles I would say. If someond posts it somewhere where I can read it without contributing money to that organization, i will be happy to.

I will not apologize to any of you for my being Conservative, and am simply lamenting the fact that my favorite author apparently publicly and visibly supports causes I abhor.

Of course it's more than just the gun issue.

I will simply repost what I had written in the political forum, cleaned up a little, when I mistakenly thought this thread was never approved.

In the afterword of his book "11-22-63" about a time travelers attempt to prevent the Kennedy assassination, he wrote:

Now I could be mistaken, but I would wager a years salary that he isn't referencing Occupy Wall Street or Code Pink rather than the Tea Party, and this is particularly stupid since you can't get more left wing than Lee Harvey Oswald.

In the afterward of his book "Full Dark no stars" He writes: "I can remember reading George Orwell's 1984 at the age of 13 or so with growing dismay , anger, and outrage, charging through the pages and gobbling up the story as fast as I could and what's wrong with that? Especially since I continue to think about it today when some politician (I'm thinking of Sarah Palin and her scurrilous "death-panel" remarks) has some success in convincing the public that white is really black , or vice-versa."

WTF? talk about convincing the public that white is really black. Using ultra left wing historical misdeeds to indict the right wing??

Regardless of how you feel about Sarah Palin, if you think the idea of so-called death panels came completely out of the blue, consider the democrat idea of mandatory end of life counseling for seniors. You might also want to check out a book by Obama's first HHS Secretary choice Tom Daschle, entitled "Critical" in which he suggests that seniors need to accept the maladies of aging rather than treating them and praises other cultures for simply accepting possible terminal illness rather than fighting to live.

Now he weighs in on gun control by writing an essay "On Guns."

I'll never read it even though it's on sale for kindle for 99 cents because the proceeds go to the Brady Center to prevent Gun Violence.

This is significant, because that organization didn't declare victory and disband after the Brady Bill was signed and they are on record as stating that their ultimate goal is the complete prohibition of firearms ownership, a bit further than banning so-called assault rifles I'd say.

Kind of strange for a writer whose book heroes and heroines often use firearms to protect themselves and defeat evil protagonists.

Now I am conflicted. As much as I love his stories, can I in good conscience ever buy another one of his books?

He appears to be just another celebrity who abuses his popularity, arrogantly crapping on roughly half of his fan base.

Thanks for ruining it for me.
    Do you honestly think that Steve set out to "ruin it for you?" EGOCENTRIC much? You almost sound demented on this subject. How freaken silly.

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Do you honestly think that Steve set out to "ruin it for you?" EGOCENTRIC much? You almost sound demented on this subject. How freaken silly.
    Of course I don't think "Steve" set out to ruin it for me. He doesn't even know I exist. Still he obviously doesn't care if he offends fans of his that are Conservative, and do not support a group like the Brady Center.

"King, why can't you just shut the hell up and write your stories?

Thanks for ruining it for me................................................ ................................"

That is what you said. You came in here and asked him to just shut the hell up. Considering that this is his official site, you have more nerve than a toothache.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; March 13th, 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added quotes

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post

Thanks for ruining it for me................................................ ................................

That is what you said. You came in here and asked him to just shut the hell up. Considering that this is his official site, you have more nerve than a toothache.
    Well maybe I should have chosen more respectful wording. I apologize Mr King and Mr Kings fans.

Kind of hard to keep up with things here when your posts are held up for approval. I was accused of being a drive by troll but what happened is that I checked the forum a few times after submitting my comment and never saw it, so I moved on.

In any case, since I see another of my posts hasn't made it on here, I wanted to restate that I consider it different when a celebrity with a large following uses that pulpit for political advocacy than when an unknown like me expresses an opinion on a message board.

An entertainer or even a business whose fans or customers are from a wide spectrum might be advised to keep their opinions to themselves. Chik Fil A anyone?

I want to enjoy my favorite entertainer's talent, not hear their political opinions, and I get turned off when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    I understand what you are saying, however if an entertainer quietly supports any organization I disagree with, at least I don't have to know about it. Mr King is an author, not a political commentator.

Once an entertainer publicly sticks one toe into political advocacy, I consider it an abuse of his popularity. That is just my opinion.

I certainly don't have the giant venue in which to express my views that he does. That is why I don't consider it the same as a layperson expressing their 1st amendment rights, and why I consider it exploitation.

He certainly has the right to do so, and I suppose he has enough money that he doesn't care if he pisses off a significant number of his fans.
    As an American he has the right to say whatever he wants, it doesn't matter how big the venue. When you start limiting what people say based how how big their audience is you're seriously impeding on the freedom of speech.

And who gets to choose when an audience becomes too big to say what you want?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast