This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit confused by the military base at the beginning

Default Re: Bit confused by the military base at the beginning

I assumed they died nearly instantly because it was just that powerful before it got to the outside and mutated.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusfunk View Post
    I assumed they died nearly instantly because it was just that powerful before it got to the outside and mutated.
    Despite only just finnishing the book, it was a while ago that I actally started it (I am not a heavy reader, just a bit at a time) so I can't rememberif it is explained. But I did start watching the films recently, and I am pretty sure it says that Captain Trips is a mutating antigen, and the first bunch of people died from it within minutes, then it mutated outside of the base and gave people flu like symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    Despite only just finnishing the book, it was a while ago that I actally started it (I am not a heavy reader, just a bit at a time) so I can't rememberif it is explained. But I did start watching the films recently, and I am pretty sure it says that Captain Trips is a mutating antigen, and the first bunch of people died from it within minutes, then it mutated outside of the base and gave people flu like symptoms.
    I'm not too sure about the book myself, I haven't read it in a while, but I watched the movie again last week. They did indeed say that in the movie. I believe they said even the ones that managed to get their respirators on died within...seven minutes? I could be wrong on that one.

All these different interpretations of "why" is why I love reading Uncle Steve's books.

Perhaps, they were victims of an attempt to kill the flu before it could escape. Some type of poison or something. Kinda like how the CDC was burned up in The Walking Dead.

I just reread The Stand late last year. My assumption is that they were killed instantly...on purpose. As in "no one here get's out alive."
    These kinds of solutions can be fun to imagine, but if the author doesn't suggest them in some way then s/he must mean for us to wonder and not to know.
    Last edited by blunthead; July 7th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    All these different interpretations of "why" is why I love reading Uncle Steve's books.
    That's why we read. And don't count on movies.

The way I read it is that the virus was super lethal when created in the lab and killed all the immediate hosts. But super lethal viruses tend to "burn out" because they can't spread if they kill their means of doing so too quickly. So I think once it hit the open air or its first outside host Campion, it mutated into something slightly less lethal which would also allow it to spread as easily just not kill as quickly.

In the movie, doesn't Starkey say something about them dropping like flies, but, once it's airborne, people will think they've got the common or garden flu? In other words, those in the base took a concentrated dose with immediate results, but those on the outside take a weaker, dispersed hit.

I agree with Mairzey Dotes and imajica, concentrated on the inside, no escape. Once airborne, strength diluted, affected people differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12