This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: E-cigs....

jimson Guest

Default Re: E-cigs....

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    Another thing I learned is that smokers metabolize caffeine at twice the rate of a non smoker. Suddenly, the regular amount of coffee that I drank sent me into the shakes. It may be a good idea to ease back slowly on the amount of coffee/pop you drink. I found that being overly hyped up didn't help me when I tried to focus on not going bat poop crazy over a craving.
    I doubt that would be a problem for me as I can't imagine enjoying coffee that much without a smoke to go along with it.

Well so far today the badgers are winning the battle. It seems that my e-cig bit it... could have something to do with trying to light it... don't know. I have been pacing myself, no five hour stretches though. Three hours was all I could stand. I'm doing a lot of stuff at the computer researching some interests of mine and I am finding it near to impossible to not smoke sitting here.
    I put my cigarettes in the refrigerator so at least they won't be in reach at all times. I've had about 10 cigs already. poop.
    It's hasn't been too bad when I'm doing active things around the apartment so I'm getting a lot of stuff done around here.
    The eating. I don't want to eat because it'll make me want to smoke. I'm only going to eat around the time I can have my next smoke. I really am astounded by the will power it takes to do this, almost more than I have to even keep trying without a crutch. I'm not ready to give up though. I have to bow in humility to those of you who cold turkey'd it. Cheers!

Pats, going to P.M you later when I get a bit more time... hang in there girl.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Pats, going to P.M you later when I get a bit more time... hang in there girl.
    (((((Flakey))))

I'm doing ok really. I am feeling good about this, even if it's hard today I have smoked way less than I thought I could manage. I can do this. I may be bald by the time I do, but I can do this. I imagined myself as a nonsmoker for the first time last night before I went to sleep and it felt pretty good.

Patricia, as per the scientific facts regarding nicotine addiction and the effects on the brain, I just wanted to make sure that you understand that every time you inhale nicotine through cigarettes or from the vapor, (even just one puff) you essentially reset your addiction to square one. You simply cannot indulge yourself in any nicotine anymore... period. Otherwise you are not in the process of quitting or "stopping". Even one puff reinvigorates your addiction and you start from scratch.

Just let go girl. It's going to be ok.
    "One pixel can change everything."

I know people who have successfully quit other drug habits by tapering their doses over a period of time. I can see no reason why it wouldn't work with nicotine as well...same reward circuits are in play in the brain.

Pats... I was supposed to write this in a P.M, but what the guys n girls above are talking about relates directly to what I was going to say. If you're going to stop smoking using the book that my partner and I used, then it is ESSENTIAL that you continue your normal smoking habits while you're reading the book... right up until the very last word. This is how "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" works.

What Brian is saying is true about reintroducing nicotine into your system, but for the cold turkey way to work... you have to be at exactly the right point in your 'readiness' to begin the process of stopping.... the book will get you to that point.

Read the book, my lass.... read the book. (Holy crap, I'm sounding more and more like the Reformed Smoker.)

I was never able to quit ANYTHING cold turkey successfully. And like I said earlier, none of the scientific research indicates that nicotine replacements hurt your chances any.

I read the book.... and took the course.... the book works as long as you don't kid yourself you can have that 1 ciggy and you will still be fine. The book did work for me briefly. But i broke the "1 ciggarette" rule. And i found, when i read it again years later, it didn't have the same effect cos i knew what was coming and how it was "meant" to work. Your friend flakenoir is correct, it is brilliant, but it really is a "one off" kind of thing, never to be repeated. Just my two penneth worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Grrl View Post
    I was never able to quit ANYTHING cold turkey successfully. And like I said earlier, none of the scientific research indicates that nicotine replacements hurt your chances any.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    I read the book.... and took the course.... the book works as long as you don't kid yourself you can have that 1 ciggy and you will still be fine. The book did work for me briefly. But i broke the "1 ciggarette" rule. And i found, when i read it again years later, it didn't have the same effect cos i knew what was coming and how it was "meant" to work. Your friend flakenoir is correct, it is brilliant, but it really is a "one off" kind of thing, never to be repeated. Just my two penneth worth.
    I think what it comes down to with addictions is that everybody will be affected in different ways... physiologically, emotionally and mentally--we are all different and can't expect to have the same experiences.
    My partner and I both used the book to stop smoking, but we had different journey's. I stopped smoking the minute I finished my last cigarette on closing the book. My partner had several 'last cigarettes' over the next few months... he told me he did this out of choice, not compulsion--I'm not sure how true that was... but the end result has been the same. It has been 9 years since we both stopped smoking (in our own time and on our on clock) so I would say that the book has worked for us.
    Until I started participating in this thread, I hadn't even thought of smoking since... ?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast