Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Copyright question - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copyright question

Default Re: Copyright question

I get all that, but when a when an author wants to go back and start re-issuing a book, if the rights are sold, and not rented, per se, they have no control over the publisher's decision to keep the book 'shelved' as opposed to republishing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebdim9th View Post
    I get all that, but when a when an author wants to go back and start re-issuing a book, if the rights are sold, and not rented, per se, they have no control over the publisher's decision to keep the book 'shelved' as opposed to republishing it...
    Sure they do, depending on the rights sold.

Got a question for Ms. Mod: Off the top of your head, what's the most paydays Mr. King has gotten for a single story? Has he been paid three, four, ten, thirty times for a story that he only wrote once (a bit of editing aside)?

Good question--no idea what the answer is but there isn't one hard and fast contract that each writer signs when selling publishing rights. They are negotiable and the writer has some control over how his/her future reprint and other (i.e. foreign translation/film/audio/stage etc.) rights are going to be handled and for how long. That's where having a good agent is a big help.

When all else fails, ask the expert, so to speak...

I just find it bothersome that a publisher claims ownership to something they didn't write just because the author needed to enter into a distributorship agreement with them in order to get their books out there and available to the reading public...
    Go work for a big-time publisher like Simon and Schuster for a while and get back to me on that one.

I was lamenting a common practice by many record labels, movie companies, and publishers. I was not referring specifically to Simon and Shuster nor did I have them in mind. Many copyright issues get dealt with at the radio stations that play the songs as well as the labels that produced them. I worked at Clear Channel for four years which is about as big as they get in radio...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	needful things.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	17002

This is the image I plan to use

I worked at Clear Channel for four years which is about as big as they get in radio...
    ,,,I remember when they began their takeover of all electronic media, we dubbed them "The CC Nazi's".....

I worked at Clear Channel for four years which is about as big as they get in radio...
    My condolences....

Quote Originally Posted by baglady201 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	needful things.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	17002

This is the image I plan to use
    Who took the picture? Who published it? How is it licensed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast