Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What to do about North Korea? - Page 10

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about North Korea?

Default Re: What to do about North Korea?

@RG, we have an extensive history of war profiteering in every war since WW1.... why all of a sudden should I think that N Korea is different than other wars/conflicts we've had world-wide since the early 20th century?

Why all of a sudden should we think this situation is going to be any different than the previous ones? That's really all Im asking here. Call me a kook, but im a little leery of the drums of war.

Since North Korea is such an isolationist county, much thought on what is going on over there is conjecture. Personally, I think the situation is quite serious. Under Kim Jung-Il’s regime (his father), this kind of stuff was used to gain leverage and to get concessions and deals from the west. But many of the reports I’ve read indicate that Kim Jung-Un, because of his youth and inexperience, is steadily losing control of the Korean People’s Army, and may feel the need to attack South Korea to maintain control. And I don’t think he cares about his people. Many are starving and reports have been coming out of cannibalism going on. He probably would be happy if half the population perished through war. But will the KPA follow his orders is the real question? And I don’t think we can rely on China to bring reason to the situation, as I think they are also afraid of his leadership stability.

But you all will remember who originally warned us of war profiteering? President Eisenhower (was he a conspiracy loon?).

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    @RG, we have an extensive history of war profiteering in every war since WW1.... why all of a sudden should I think that N Korea is different than other wars/conflicts we've had world-wide since the early 20th century?
    This is very tiresome. The etiquette of debate is simple. If you put forth a supposition, it is up to you to support it directly without fallacies. If asked a question, you are supposed to answer it. The same is true of the person you are debating with. Your statement above isn't evidence. It is a the very definition of fallacy, touching base on three major ones. We are talking about North Korea and the current situation. If things are as clear cut and black and white as you indicate, you should be able to support your argument with some kind of evidence ACTUALLY having to do with North Korea. Please answer the earlier question, and/or demonstrate to us how the United States is creating the situation in hopes of creating a war to profit from. Your arguments are only valid if you can demonstrate the United States is instigating the situation, i.e. purposely stirring the pot.

Why all of a sudden should we think this situation is going to be any different than the previous ones? That's really all Im asking here. Call me a kook, but im a little leery of the drums of war.
    Nobody has called you a kook. Nobody has defined you, except yourself. Your failure to directly support your arguments or answer questions related to them with evidence rather than innuendo does not cast you in a favorable light. This appears to be your argument:

"People did bad things in the past so we must assume they are doing bad things now."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    The etiquette of debate is simple. If you put forth a supposition, it is up to you to support it directly without fallacies. If asked a question, you are supposed to answer it. The same is true of the person you are debating with. Your statement above isn't evidence. It is a the very definition of fallacy, touching base on three major ones.
    Pretty sure this isn't a formal debate. It's a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Pretty sure this isn't a formal debate. It's a discussion.
    Fair enough but what he is doing is still impolite.

Well, I have no evidence that the current situation is all about profiteering. I am simply going on our past track record, and am leery when we we "cry wolf", especially after the whole WMDs fiasco (rather, lack of WMDs fiasco). Ok, so Ill keep an open mind, and an open ear.... I'd rather just not rush into another war if it's not necessary.

However, oftentimes political (and religious) debate can leads to things getting heated, people getting offended, and things being said that people dont mean or take the wrong way. Im gonna cool down a bit, because Id rather stay on friendly terms with everyone here, bc I come here for SK discussion (as we all do) and to make new friends who love SK as well. And afterall, if I feel like riling myself up, Ill just head over to Huff Post or Red State or somewhere

What concerns me is what our nation will do when the dollar shows sharper declines than it has already shown. There are already calls to replace the dollar as the currency used by the world and the dollar has been replaced in some cases. The British sterling was all the rage once upon a time. With us borrowing .46-cents on the dollar, with the growing obstacle of debt, what recourse is open to those we elect to govern us? And then there's this talk of profit. How has our nation reacted in the past to saber rattling from North Korea? Assuming other nations are keen to our capabilities...and the belief, merited or not, that we are not capable of protecting our interests or those of others, what actions would they take?

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Well, I have no evidence that the current situation is all about profiteering. I am simply going on our past track record, and am leery when we we "cry wolf", especially after the whole WMDs fiasco (rather, lack of WMDs fiasco). Ok, so Ill keep an open mind, and an open ear.... I'd rather just not rush into another war if it's not necessary.
    Then you should be thrilled because we aren't the ones crying wolf. We clearly don't want to rush into another war either. We have pretty much stated that we will only react if they attack us. This is a 100% turnabout from the past acceptance of preemptive attacks. The current Administration, like myself, largely believes that simply being prepared for attack is prudent but that ignoring further provocation is the best course of action.

However, oftentimes political (and religious) debate can leads to things getting heated, people getting offended, and things being said that people dont mean or take the wrong way. Im gonna cool down a bit, because Id rather stay on friendly terms with everyone here, bc I come here for SK discussion (as we all do) and to make new friends who love SK as well. And afterall, if I feel like riling myself up, Ill just head over to Huff Post or Red State or somewhere
    With me things will never get heated, frosty perhaps but never heated. I like a good discussion/debate (I don't really distinguish between the two) but for us to have that discussion there has to be some meat and potatoes to it. Without actual evidence to back up our statements, we don't really have much to discuss. Staying on topic, North Korea has been threatening us with Nuclear attack. When was the last time you heard of any country do that wherein we calmly turned the other cheek? You and I actually agree on many things. I just don't think every case is the same. Once bitten has made you twice shy does not always apply in international politics.

It's all good RG. I think Ill stick to more light hearted subject matter for the time being.... like the Dark Tower and Jack Torrance

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast