This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about North Korea?

Default Re: What to do about North Korea?

believe me, i get that, RG: that 'P' word is, and can be, strong in virtually every country: even the really bad ones...

...one never knows in these situations whether the 'patriotism' (or...mind control ) will hold up under the onslaught that would inevitably follow some crass, powerful gesture on the part of the NK leadership: we all thought saddam husseins troops would last a wee bit longer...same w/the taliban in afghanistan

hunger and devastation can do interesting things to a man...or a country.

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Certainly, North Korea can do us no harm. They're years away from becoming a nuclear power and years away from a delivery system that can strike much farther away than Tokyo or Guam.

Years away, however, means that the clock is ticking. Eventually, we're going to have this same discussion again, only with slightly different starting assumptions.
    I thought it was generally accepted that NK was already a nuclear power. Considering that both the US and Russia developed ICBMs more than 40 years ago, how long do we really think it will be before NK has them?

I don't think the US will launch any kind of strike without at least tacit approval from China, and if they ever felt the situation warranted that, like others here, my guess is that they would intervene themselves.

The answer to the question is "not much."

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    I thought it was generally accepted that NK was already a nuclear power. Considering that both the US and Russia developed ICBMs more than 40 years ago, how long do we really think it will be before NK has them?
    It is generally accepted (known) that Israel is a nuclear power. North Korea (like most places on the planet) understands the theoretical basis to be a nuclear power but still has to do all the practical work, i.e. the stuff that makes it an effective weapon.

I don't think the US will launch any kind of strike without at least tacit approval from China, and if they ever felt the situation warranted that, like others here, my guess is that they would intervene themselves.
    The answer to the question is "not much."
    Exactly. China is never going to give us a green light to strike North Korea (which is next door to them). They would intervene themselves first. For those of you listening in, imagine if Mexico started working on a weapons program and throwing threats at Russia or China. Do you think the United States would give a green light to those countries to strike Mexico?

yes, RG...the US might !! especially if rand paul wins the next presidential election: i do believe he just won the CPAC straw vote...

y'know those tea party types: if they can get someone lse to do it...why not !!

and it'd solve some of that pesky immigrant problem so many of them seem to be obsessed with

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    It is generally accepted (known) that Israel is a nuclear power. North Korea (like most places on the planet) understands the theoretical basis to be a nuclear power but still has to do all the practical work, i.e. the stuff that makes it an effective weapon.
    I was under the impression that they had already developed warheads. Not sure where I got that idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    I was under the impression that they had already developed warheads. Not sure where I got that idea though.
    They have, as have many countries we don't talk about. Having a nuclear device (I hesitate to call it a warhead) isn't the same thing. The delivery system is what matters. North Korea most likely has bombs of the size and weight of Fat Man and/or Little Boy during World War II. Once you get the basic physics in place, there is a long, slow process of trying to get the bomb small enough to carry it to the target in a missile. That, of course, requires you to build accurate missiles which is a technology in and of itself.

I feel bad for North Korea. The people there are so censored, some don't even know that men have walked on the moon. A lot of them also have diseases and are starving.

Quote Originally Posted by Elihunt View Post
    I feel bad for North Korea. The people there are so censored, some don't even know that men have walked on the moon. A lot of them also have diseases and are starving.
    It was recently reported that one out of ten North Koreans starve to death daily. The monies we and other countries have sent to NK in the past was supposed to feed the people but instead fed the army. I say stop support. But wait, the UN with China's yea vote, has already said that and now the US is being threatened by that little pipsqueak???? Solve me that riddle, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    It was recently reported that one out of ten North Koreans starve to death daily. The monies we and other countries have sent to NK in the past was supposed to feed the people but instead fed the army.
    That could be at least somewhat understandable, but the grunts in the NK army are almost as malnourished as the peasants. The aid-money went to the people who already own yachts.

I say stop support. But wait, the UN with China's yea vote, has already said that and now the US is being threatened by that little pipsqueak???? Solve me that riddle, please!
    It's not a credible threat, at least not at this point in time.

'tis true, S&D...they are not considered to be a credible threat...

but, then again....that's exactly what the powers that be thought about Al Qaeda...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast