This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about North Korea?

Default Re: What to do about North Korea?

Figures never lie but liars always figure.

louie...you sound like a tea party liberal

pretty sure both chomsky and nader would just plonk down a hefty progresive tax ssystem and make sure their pet ideas were taken care of first...kinda like anyone else...

their ideas, while good at times, haven't caught on with any form of majority of americans...interestingly, they've both, through the years, offered a wide range of ideas...only to be met with distance and disdain

can't say that about the tea party: they caught on real quick with a sizable percentage of the voting populace

the market place of ideas is fully wide open, as far as i'm concerened...but i stand by what i said...all of it manageable, if done correctly, despite what that huge $$ you floated is at this second...it can all be fixed if we all have the willpower to do so...

'course...worrying about that is kinda silly, dontchathink...if the NK's do manage to launch an attack on us...we're in a costly war anyway, right ??

what'll happen then: uh, sorry...can't do nuhtin'...outta dineros !!

prolly not, sir !!

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    louie...you sound like a tea party liberal
    I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that one, friend.

The Tea Party has no issues with over-spending, unless a Democrat is the one doing the spending. The Tea Party seemed to have no qualms with President Bush and his trillion spent in Iraq, TARP (which was enacted by Bush in 08, before he left office), and hundreds of thousands in corporate welfare. Also the Tea Party seems to want to dismantle the Social Security and Medicare system. I am not for this at all. I would like to protect these programs for our seniors.

I usually find myself on the "anti" side, when it comes to most of our wars. Tea Party folks dont seemed to concered with war... well, unless President Obama is the one waging it.. they were probably the same people chanting "stay the course" under Bush.

Again, unlike the TP, I pro-choice, and also pro marriage equality.

So Im not sure where you are getting that Tea Party label.

could be your similar obsession w/ the debt and taxation...but, since it was kinda tongue-in-cheek it really doesn't matter

no worries, lou...anybody who is so 'pro' freedom is fine by me...after all, freedom is what it all should be about in the USA, right ??

Did either of you guys see the PBS Newshour tonight? One guy from State/SAIS (Johns Hopkins) and one guy from the Fletcher School at Tufts were on arguing about whether this is all a lead-up to another war with Korea. One was Korean-American and said Kim Jong Un's posturing and threats are all very sane and orderly, that this is a way for North Korea to posture more and see if they can get away with being indulged by another American president. The other guy said this is a real threat but that he won't be able to inflict real harm on the U.S., only its military bases in South Korea and Japan.

I think he and Achmadinejad attended the same school, the Saddam Hussein Academy for Certifiables. And I think that while North Korea won't be able to take out Austin, TX, as was mentioned in the broadcast, that China will intervene and tell Un to eff off and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Even if what you say is true, and let's just assume it is (I am not one to pick fights

Much of our military involvement around the world over the past 50 years has had some pretty nasty uninteded consequences. Remember the "quagmire" in Iraq after "Mission Accomplished"? After the fall of Saddam, it was an absolute mess over there. Probably still is, but you don't hear much about Iraq anymore in mainstream news coverage. Saddam was our enemy, yes. But he was also once our friend. Why? Well, we needed him to keep on eye on Iran, another enemy back in the 80s (remember that photo of him shaking hands with Don Rumsfeld that circulated the email spam boxes of America back in 2004 or so..).

So why was Iran an enemy? Well, anyone remember the coup d'tetat of 1953? If not, Google is your friend..

And remember another group of "friends" we had in the 80s when we were in the Cold War... they were called The Taliban...

Now listen.. Im not dogging out America.. Im a proud American. I love America. And I want us to propser and have peace. But im just trying to say, military actions have uninteded consequences. Let's stop.

Hear that tin-pot clanking sound? That's saber rattling.
    It has grown so loud I think it's woken up Beijing.
    Causing some alarm in South Korea and - what for?
    Kim Jong-un's declared his country's in a state of war.

Hard to tell how serious the North Koreans are,
    But I think they may have pushed the "crazy talk" too far.
    South Korea's President has said her country will
    Go to war if they're attacked... A thought that doesn't thrill

China or the Russians - not to mention the U.S.
    Is Kim Jong-un listening? That's anybody's guess.
    So far it's been only words - this time - no overt acts,
    And there are some hopeful signs he's finally facing facts:

People in his country are severely under-fed.
    He'd be out of luck with half his population dead.
    U.S. has positioned ships and bombers off his coast;
    Have to say that I agree with Uncle Louie's post.

Yep, I believe what's going to happen to N. Korea is the same thing that happened to the USSR in the late 80s. The USSR was so focused on trying to become a world superpower that they ended up not being able to even feed their own people, and take care of their own basic needs at home. A truly Communist regime, such as N. Korea, simply does not have the level of productivity it would require in order to both maintain its people, and to become a legitimate world threat (at least in the long-term), IMO.

And it is true. The US simply doesnt have the power to continue borrowing as we have in the past, esp. now with the world turning away from the dollar as its reserve currency. We've borrowed and over-spent for too long now, and the breaking point is here. What good did the trillion in Iraq do? What good will a war with Iran or N Korea do? Do these war hawks in the general population ever take a look back at history before they slap a magnet on their pick-up and start blasting Lee Greenwood songs on their radios?

Nuke'em till they glow and bomb'em in the dark.
    Just kidding.
    Sort of.
    If military action needs to be taken, hopefully another country will get ticked-off at them enough to take care of things, or the regime will collapse on itself. I'm conservative politically, but we don't need to get in another war unless there is a direct threat to the US. With the way our military has been cut back, we simply can't play the 'heavy' all the time. We've too often taken the brunt of criticism for doing other countries' dirty work for them.

The NK has shut down entry into the Industrial Zone - a move that could further hurt their own people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93002620130403

I just read elsewhere this am that China is moving some of its military to the NK border!!

Also heard that -un is trying to muscle SK's new president, Ms. Park.

'Course the UN's (with China's aye vote) sanctions are the reason for all this posturing.

There will be an international uproar against NK if any of Seoul's shopping areas such as Etewon (sp) or Osan are disturbed!!
    Last edited by Haunted; April 3rd, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast