Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What to do about North Korea? - Page 8

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about North Korea?

Default Re: What to do about North Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    Nuke'em till they glow and bomb'em in the dark.
    Just kidding.
    Sort of.
    If military action needs to be taken, hopefully another country will get ticked-off at them enough to take care of things, or the regime will collapse on itself. I'm conservative politically, but we don't need to get in another war unless there is a direct threat to the US. With the way our military has been cut back, we simply can't play the 'heavy' all the time. We've too often taken the brunt of criticism for doing other countries' dirty work for them.
    Ok, dude.. honestly... besides Vietnam, Korea, Cambodia, Cuba, Panama, Nicaragua, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, Somolia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Pakistan, and Yemen, name me one single country we have meddled in the affairs of....

But here's the thing to keep in mind... politicians are put into power by people with money and influence... people with money and influence have a vested financial interest in war profits.... look no furhter than that to figure out why we go to war 95% of the time..

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Ok, dude.. honestly... besides Vietnam, Korea, Cambodia, Cuba, Panama, Nicaragua, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, Somolia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Pakistan, and Yemen, name me one single country we have meddled in the affairs of....
    Chile

But here's the thing to keep in mind... politicians are put into power by people with money and influence... people with money and influence have a vested financial interest in war profits.... look no furhter than that to figure out why we go to war 95% of the time..
    I'm going to say this with at much tact as I can manage. Get over it. Yes, the United States (like every other Nation) meddles in the politics of other countries. Yes, the United States has, at times, engaged in wars whose sole purpose was to move money around from the public coffers to war profiteers. This too is the same of most nations, super powers in particular. No, the United States doesn't always do this. Sometimes her meddling and military intervention is exactly as advertised. Sometimes it is on the side of the angels. All that is academic, however, as we are talking about North Korea.

The United States isn't meddling in the affairs of North Korea for any other reason than South Korea, China, and Japan are meddling. Nobody wants to go to war with them. There is no profit in it. The only way the United States will be at war with North Korea is if/when she attacks us or South Korea. At that time, China, the United States, and South Korea will kick the ever living crap out of that country. Japan will operate in a support role. That's it. That is all there is to it. China isn't mobilizing troops on the border of North Korea to fight us. They know we have no intention of landing troops there. They know we would just blow the country off the map. They aren't mobilizing troops to fight the South Koreans with whom they have a far more stable (and profitable) relationship with. Do you see where I'm going with this?

This isn't about the United States being greedy meanies here. Nobody cared about North Korea at all, until North Korea decided to MAKE us care. Do not compare apples and oranges.

kudos, RG...

louie...????

really ????

as lil' chuckie b used to intone...oh good grief

Mexico, Colombia, Japan, and Germany. Just for starters.

@RG, there is no profit in a war with N Korea? Really, now? Some military contractor isn't going to make money over fist if we go to war? Military contractors are in the business of everything from drones, bombs, and tanks to toliet seats, combat boots, and food service. There is always money to be made when we go to war. And the taxpayer is always on the line. I mean, honestly, how do military contactors make money if we dont go to war? They have a vested, financial interest in armed conflict. And they have lobbyists too.

Anyhow, so you think N Korea may be a legit threat? Maybe. But then again, plenty of people thought Saddam Hussein was an iminent threat too, sitting on piles of WMDs that were oddly never found, and 10 years later, still haven't. Some thought there was a risk of evil communism spreading all the way from some jungle sh**hole called Vietnam all the way to America, so we do what? Engage in a 13 year conflict with them... 60,000 or so American boys dead.. and for what? Do you know how much bank the war hawks made during that conflict? So I apologize if I am leary of the drums of war..... I am a student of history. I like to believe if we learn from it, we may not be forced to repeat it.

Also, it's not really my fault for being leary of the war drums either... it's like the boy who cried wolf.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Also, it's not really my fault for being leary of the war drums either... it's like the boy who cried wolf.
    I'm always leery of stuff like this. Is it a coincidence that all this has started with military budget cuts looming?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast