Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally filthy? - Page 14

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally filthy?

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

I always just look them in the eye with my best lunatic glare and say, "I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    I always just look them in the eye with my best lunatic glare and say, "I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"
    Oooo, Donnie Darko!! Did you know that the original song they wanted to use for that dance routine was 'West End Girls' by The Pet Shop Boys?? PSB's wanted too much money for the rights.

I love Donnie Darko! "I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion" is one of my favorite things to say to people whenever they balk at doing something I want then to do, or ask me something I'd rather not answer.

The look on their faces, of how I relish that look!

I love Donnie Darko! "I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion" is one of my favorite things to say to people whenever they balk at doing something I want then to do, or ask me something I'd rather not answer.

The look on their faces, of how I relish that look!
    This was one of my first films I bought when I decided a while ago I wanted to start collecting my all time favourite films on DVD. I love it.

Maybe this will help.

Stephen King has written fiction in a wide variety of genres and this is reflected in his works of "The Body" (filmed version is Stand By Me ), "The Dead Zone" - more of a suspense / thriller (and one of my favorites), "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" (filmed as The Shawshank Redemption ). If they've only watched his films then you can direct them there. Many people who don't know Stephen King, don't even realize that "The Green Mile" and "Shawshank" films are based on his work. Try it sometime. Ask someone if they knew Stephen King wrote those stories. You'll be surprised how many times people are astonished at this realization. Some will even debate you that it can't be Stephen King because "he only writes horror."

Mr. King has never applied the horror genre to himself, but rather it has been applied to him over the years. It's understandable because he has written horror, but he is not limited to that genre, and some of the popular films have also been popular horror as well.

On the moral issue: One of the reasons that Stephen King's writing is attractive to so many is that us, as a reader - a person, can relate to the situations he relays to us in his fiction. Sometimes he gets too close to what humanity does feel on a whole, but we don't act on these immoral thoughts. However some of his characters do. Unfortunately so do some people in real life. He's just reflecting on what some of the evil in the world there is. He didn't create it, but simply offers an alternative version of what is already out there. Sometimes to the extreme, but thankfully it's fiction. He gives us an opportunity to think about these situations, and take a look inside a darker world, that hopefully isn't our own. Some people don't want to look, and I can understand that too. However I don't feel they should judge if they haven't read his work. If they don't like it, that's okay, but I would give it a try first.

I hope that will help.

Dave Hinchberger

Didn't the man himself make that argument to someone...and she told him he was wrong, that he didn't write those!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    This was one of my first films I bought when I decided a while ago I wanted to start collecting my all time favourite films on DVD. I love it.
    One of my favs also! I like movies that don't spoon feed you the entire plot. David Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive' is my all time fav- that one really messes with your head!

"I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"
    Great saying!

My view on this is that sometimes Stephen King does go overboard with his sometimes heavy projection of immorality, and that makes readers feel overly depressed, or worse, make them actually want to do these horrible things. Things like Rage, the Bachman book, come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi81 View Post
    My view on this is that sometimes Stephen King does go overboard with his sometimes heavy projection of immorality, and that makes readers feel overly depressed, or worse, make them actually want to do these horrible things. Things like Rage, the Bachman book, come to mind.
    Stephen's writing has been popular for such a long time now that I would be fairly surprised if people didn't know what kind of material he covers before they read his first book. My point is, we all have free choice in what we read and if I were susceptible (in the way you've described) to being influenced by what I read, then chances are, I would make choices to prevent that from happening.

Stephen isn't responsible (in the least) for how people interpret his work. If mental illness is an issue in the individual, then IMO it is the responsibility of family members, health professionals and friends to keep things in check.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast