This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally filthy?

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

I would go through the whole "Where there's smoke, there's fire thing. " But you guys probably already know that.

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

Moral Trash... People, who say such things, usually don't read his books.
    Scary... yes, his stories are really scary in some moments.

Here's the perspective of a theologically conservative Christian.
    As a former member of the Legion of Decency (a reference from On Writing, not the Legion of Decency from It), I used to say people shouldn't read or watch horror or things that could evoke fear, including SK's books. If people say the same things I used to, I say I understand where they're coming from but don't agree with that hard line anymore. If they press me I'll ask them to list every TV show they watch and what radio stations they listen to, in which case I can probably say "why are you watching those shows or listening to secular (non-Christian) radio then?"
    If someone holds those views, I'd tell them they probably shouldn't read King if they feel that the Lord is telling them not to. If they tell me I shouldn't, I tell them I respect their right to believe whatever they want to, then might remind them the only people Jesus ever blasted were those who were the most religious people of His time.
    Some of the most godly people I know don't and won't read King, but also some of the most godly people I know do read King as well.
    It's similar to the argument I used to hear saying that Christians shouldn't read Harry Potter (you haven't hear that one?), and I never read the series until a friend who is a minister showed me some websites giving a defense of the Potter books from a Christian perspective.
    I'd advise against getting in arguments with people over what they think is or isn't proper reading material, be it King, Koontz, Anne Rice's vampire books, etc. There's nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree agreeably, and walking away.

I had to run through my bible while reading Under the Dome... never seen so much scripture quoted in one novel in... well... quite awhile. And that even includes the kind of fiction writers you find most often in Christian book stores... I like the questions the book posed... Is there a God out there bigger than those terrible extraterrestrial oppressors who are so advanced even their children play around with the fates of entire other civilizations...
    Last edited by Ebdim9th; May 16th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

I would take issue with any religion that told me what I could and couldn't read/listen to/watch. Being instructed to close your eyes or ears to learning and education sounds pretty dangerous to me and has the potential to cause much harm.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Dsurrett, I have a sister and brother in law,who refused to read the Harry Potter books when they came out,or allow their children to..I tried telling her it is pretty innocuous stuff,and I thought it was well crafted by Ms Rowling,funny,etc..but they are devout Christians and I think they were advised by the church not to entertain those books at all..she wouldn't listen,and it was just not worth getting in a dispute over,so that was that. Here's the kicker..they and the kids are big Lord of the Rings fans..ha,I guess there was no sorcery or evil beings in those books! Just makes me sad when people let other people influence their minds to that point,in the name of God..

I have also heard people say phrases like that, that authors like Stephen King have bad influence on us. Should I say that I do not agree?

Anyway, I do not think that one needs to listen to others in these issues. As they say, tastes differ. Some people (like my aunt for example) cannot bear watching or reading horror, they have nightmares after this, they are scared. Others use such books or movies to escape from the reality, they have a special world of their own in this. It is pure psychology. I spoke with one person who know psychology very well, and he was asked this question: why some people watch horror movies, what do they get from it? His answer was clear, that these very horror stories can give us answers to what is happening in the life, they help realizing some things. And I am sure it is correct. Nothing can make us think about important life questions like horror stories, because in them there are a lot of deeply hidden issues and secrets.

As for me, I have never been telling anyone who is not close what I am reading, watching, or listening to. That is my private life, and everybody does not need to know everything about me. This way allows me not to hear too many bad things about things I love. If I want to discuss something from Stephen King, for instance, I come here, or talk to my friend who also thinks that SK is cool, but not to the people that do not care

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    Dsurrett, I have a sister and brother in law,who refused to read the Harry Potter books when they came out,or allow their children to..
    My sister was like that--not because she thought that they were Satanic or anything, but because the people at her church did... and what would they say if they knew she'd let her kids read them?

So I dangled my niece upside-down by her ankles in front of the first HP movie. "Mama said I can't watch this! Hey, those stairs are moving! No, Mama said no! Ohhhh... a flying broomstick!"

I would say, "They're supposed to be scary, that's the point." and to the second, I'd say, "The morality of a book is a highly subjective experience; you're welcome to not read them."

A quote came to mind...

"There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are either well written or badly written. That is all." - Oscar Wilde
    I think Stephen King's books have good themes such enduring and finding strength. Even his books that may appear not have any life lessons reveal things about human nature and are just fun read.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast