This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally filthy?

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

"Moral Trash"? Worst case scenario we are talking about the "literary equivalent of big mac and fries" , and even that if you ask me is far from being accurate. But seriously, arguing about reading preference is like arguing about food - to each his own and no one is "right" or "wrong" as far as what he personally likes. I hate Harry Potter. Some people think that this makes me a despicable creature that shouldn't be allowed in public. Others understand that being a fictional character he won't take it to heart and Miz R. has certainly sold enough books without my purchase. The only real question to me is: What do you care what other people think? Read what makes you happy. No?

Default Re: What do I tell people who say Stephen King's are scary and (get this) morally fil

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    I have a neighbor down the road, known her for over 20 years- ours kids grew up together. She constantly tells me I'll rot in hell for reading SK books. Have given up explaining, and now just smile and continue reading each new book published. She knows not what she is missing!!
    She constantly tells me I'll rot in hell for reading SK books.
    Mr. King's writings are morally filthy?
    Reading through this thread all I can do is shake my head in absolute amazement! The above statements especially are uneducated blather. People say they don't read his books because they are filthy; if they don't read them how do they know they are filthy? That's what I mean by uneducated and there is no way you can change their minds.

My daughter was always under the impression that King's works were nothing but horror/scare fests............

And then I had her read The Green Mile.

She cried over Mr. Jingles as I'm sure many of us did.

She intends to read 11/22/63 at some point soon........

I have no problem reading anything in public. And I mean quite literally just about anything.

Even something in such insanely bad taste as this:

But if someone ever says to me that Stephen King is morally filthy (no one that I know has said it) then I'd bring out one of my special books (among which the book behind the spoiler is one) from my collection and just look at the priceless look on their face. And I'd say, "Stephen king ain't looking so morally filthy now, now is he?"

Say this...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

...then say...

Bite me. - Me

alternate the theories you hold about all things.
    --Padgett Powell...The Imperative Mood

Me, I figure that means you put on a sheet and start
    hollering at the house.

The next time it happens may I suggest saying " It quiets the voices in my head when I read King's work". You won't be asked again for awhile.

I've had people, both friends and strangers, tell me that Stephen King's writing is trash and morally corrupt and that reading his books will warp my mind. I simply explain to them what a ridiculous notion that is, and that reading King's books for many years has had no negative effect on me at all. Then I ask them if they'd like to come down to my basement and look at my collection of chains and syringes.

I definitely think the issue is mis-perception. People just link SK to grisly horror etc etc I don't even see his stories as being scary or gross etc I am about as logical as it is possible to be and don't believe in anything superntural at all...

I just love a bloody good story! and SK has tons of them

...I laughed out loud last night at work, when a colleague said..."I think if King hadn't been a writer, he've been a serial killer---he just looks nuts!"....

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast