This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Jockey

Default Re: Lawn Jockey

I haven't seen them in this part of the world. I've seen a lawn gnome or two from time to time.

I don't really have lawn zombies.

...you don't see many anymore...they had such racist connotations....if they are seen now, they seem to be predominantly whitebread...

...and lawn zombies???...

...these little beauties ARE available for purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...you don't see many anymore...they had such racist connotations....if they are seen now, they seem to be predominantly whitebread...

...and lawn zombies???...

.these little beauties ARE available for purchase...
    Flannery O'Connor wrote a short story, the title of which has racist connotations. She wrote mostly short stories, but the OP might be interested in reading that story, as well as others she has written. The story is from 1955, I believe.

Also, Umbanda...a Brazilian religion, uses...totems I guess you'd call them. Men & women spirit images. Perhaps that angle plays into the lawn jockey from Duma Key?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbanda

Ok, so THAT'S what a lawn jockey is! Weird old things, and an interesting history, thanks for the links. Cleared that up nicely. Think I'll stick to the pink flamingoes, however.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Holy cow. I've only ever seen the white ones; my imagination had to do a little work when reading DK. But that, because of the distorted facial features that make it look frog-like, is scary.
    Last edited by Todash; March 15th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

Hi BleakMid I am at the point where they are visiting Herons Point and the Lawn Jockey is pursuing them. I didn't have a clue what one was either so had to look up online. Must be an American thing eh? Great book last few pages to go. I had to look up what bleachers and turnpikes where when started reading SK years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pennywise74 View Post
    Hi BleakMid I am at the point where they are visiting Herons Point and the Lawn Jockey is pursuing them. I didn't have a clue what one was either so had to look up online. Must be an American thing eh? Great book last few pages to go. I had to look up what bleachers and turnpikes where when started reading SK years ago.
    Hi, glad you're enjoying it, I loved every page of it. Yeah, I find myself constantly thrown by references and colloquialisms in SK's books. I should start a thread where we can post 'em all for translation! I'm reading IT at the moment and there have been two mentions of 'lunch buckets' - OK, I get the idea, it's something you take your sandwiches to work in, but a bucket?!! That's one example but there are many more.

For all the American members out there - are the colloquial references that pepper SK's books US wide or are they peculiar to Maine, or what?! It'd be interesting to know.

Now I'm gonna go and look up 'turnpike' and 'bleachers', oh and possibly 'midway'........and after that I might have a nice cuppa Rosie and some Holy Ghost

http://www.minershallmuseum.com/?por...s-lunch-bucket

Miners carried their lunch to work in an actual bucket. Buckets have evolved over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    http://www.minershallmuseum.com/?por...s-lunch-bucket

Miners carried their lunch to work in an actual bucket. Buckets have evolved over time.
    Nice, I like it! It makes me think of the origins of the humble Cornish pasty (can you get pasties outside of England?). Miners took them to the mines for lunch and left them above ground until they came up for a break. Their wives would cut the miner's initials into the pastry prior to baking so they could be identified later, and the crinkled edge, which nowadays we eat, was used by the miners to hold the pasty, thereby not soiling the rest with their coal blackened fingers. When they were finished eating they'd toss the crust away. Also, many pasties contained both sweet and savory - the meat and potatoes at one end and some kind of sweet fruit at the other. Lord, I suddenly want a pasty....

There are still quite a few around here, most have been Anglicized with a bit of paint.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast