This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

Default Re: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia A View Post
    The other day when I was at the post office near my house and I told the grouchy clerk that her hair looked really pretty. I'm in there often and she is always wearing a scowly face. It just hit me to say something nice to her, and when I did she beamed and gave me a big beautiful smile. I told her she had a beautiful smile too, and that she should wear it more often. She giggled and said, I will and thanks. As I was going out the door she waved at me still smiling.
    That felt good.
    And she'll probably smile at you forever now.

I decided while driving home yesterday I was going to be nice and calm the entire time. No horn, no flipping the bird, letting every jerk cut in front of me without trying to stop them, the works.

It was a surprisingly relaxing ride home. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I decided while driving home yesterday I was going to be nice and calm the entire time. No horn, no flipping the bird, letting every jerk cut in front of me without trying to stop them, the works.

It was a surprisingly relaxing ride home. Lesson learned.
    Excellent!
    Audio books help. I am so much nicer and more patient as a driver while listening to a good story. I even look forward to red lights and jammed traffic if the story is particularly good. Sometimes I even sit in the parking lot to finish up a part I have to see how it turns out before I go.

The other day when I was at the post office near my house and I told the grouchy clerk that her hair looked really pretty. I'm in there often and she is always wearing a scowly face. It just hit me to say something nice to her, and when I did she beamed and gave me a big beautiful smile. I told her she had a beautiful smile too, and that she should wear it more often. She giggled and said, I will and thanks. As I was going out the door she waved at me still smiling.
    That felt good.
    Is this the beginning of an adult film?

Yeah, I know the way out....

I know many people who's not from Finland says that Finnish people is not so nice to each other and
    to foreigners. Well that's not true. In my work I see many different people everyday and most of them is
    very kind and smile and talk. I also seen when two totally strangers who have never met before can say-Hey I can
    pay your coffee and the other one says with a smile on his/her face that Thank you and that makes my
    day much happier too when I see that. Same with the lunch. There's coming about 5 or 6 guys and they sometimes can
    say to me when I am cashier that day - The last one paying. And what made me most happy, was once when again two
    strangers who had never met each other before came to drink coffee and the other one had forgot to take his wallet with him, so
    the other guy was saying that- it's OK I pay your coffee today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo87 View Post
    I know many people who's not from Finland says that Finnish people is not so nice to each other and
    to foreigners. Well that's not true. In my work I see many different people everyday and most of them is
    very kind and smile and talk. I also seen when two totally strangers who have never met before can say-Hey I can
    pay your coffee and the other one says with a smile on his/her face that Thank you and that makes my
    day much happier too when I see that. Same with the lunch. There's coming about 5 or 6 guys and they sometimes can
    say to me when I am cashier that day - The last one paying. And what made me most happy, was once when again two
    strangers who had never met each other before came to drink coffee and the other one had forgot to take his wallet with him, so
    the other guy was saying that- it's OK I pay your coffee today.

In the local paper, a lady wrote a letter to the editor. I don't know if she is "Finnish" but by the content of
    her letter, possibly. Seems she is in the habit of leaving her purse in the shopping cart. Other customers have
    found her purse--this has happened "numerous times"--and the purse has been turned in to Customer Services.
    There are a good many folk here, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation Finns...and although the lady wanted to
    thank those anonymous people who turned in her purse...every single time...odds are that a number of them
    call Finland the Old Country. (And yes, there's a number of other nationalities here, too, count yourself in.)

When I've worked for "old Finns"...if they ask you to have coffee...you best, by God, have coffee with them...and...if you happen
    to be 40' up on the extension ladder...and the old Finnish lady comes out to invite you in for kahvi aiga...whatever you do,
    do not drop your pencil...as she will see that, retrieve it, and begin to come up the ladder to give it to you.

And you...are too busy holding on for dear life as the ladder shakes and vibrates and the old man is busting a gut over
    by the saw horses. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post

I can't take you anywhere!
    Go now & do good.

Several months ago, my son and I were eating at a local restaurant and two men dressed in army camouflage were eating beside us. My son and I talked about how nice it was that there were men like they that served our country. As we left and paid our bill, I asked the cashier to add the two soldiers' bill to mine and just tell them when they left that their bill was paid by someone who appreciated their service. My son still talks about how he wishes he could've seen their faces when they tried to pay! He was so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post

It occurs to me... I hope she didn't think I was flirting.
    HOSS! You harshed my kindness buzz!

It occurs to me... I hope she didn't think I was flirting.
    No worries, that kind of thing is "cool" now.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast