This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Default Re: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

the few times that a cashier has handed me and extra $10 or $20, I always tell her and give it back...my kids say why? and that I should've kept it, but I explained that at the end of the day she would be short in her money drawer and then she would probably get into trouble....as much as I would love the extra change, I don't want someone else to get into trouble for it, even though it was her error....but at the same time, she could just be tired or having a bad day and I try to put myself into her shoes- what if I handed out too much change? I would hope I could meet up with honest customers as well.

Pupusas.....stuffed masa pockets served with pickled veggies and mild picante; mine were stuffed with pork and cheese....and no, no dessert! We were too stuffed ourselves at that point. The burrito was Giant Economy Size.

Those look delicious!

...finger lickin' good!....

Hey guys, I did this nice thing the other day, almost by accident, so I'm going to share it because from now on I'm gonna try to do it on purpose.

This weekend we ordered pizza delivery. I always tip, not as much as if they had to wait on us in the restaurant, but some because they did have to drive it to us, and I know they're usually broke students anyway. And then if it's crappy weather or it's really late or they're friendly (genuinely friendly, not angling-for-a-tip friendly) I tip more. Anyway, that is not the point of this; it's just setup.

Like I said, we ordered pizza delivery. And when the guy rang the doorbell and I answered it, he pulled out the receipt and said "Oh, they gave me the wrong one. Oh well, just sign here." They had given him the one without the signature and amount lines, which is where I usually write in a tip. Now, I always get a genuine smile when they see me write in a tip, so I can tell they don't always get one (which is sad, guys; come on, tip the poor 19-year-old that delivered your pizza ... he might be your doctor someday). So I said, "Hang on a minute, be right back," and left him out on the porch while I ran in and dug through my purse. All I had was five ones, which was decent but not really big considering the size of the order, so I am guessing that the huge smile on his face when I came back and gave it to him had to do with the fact that I tipped him in cash.

So my nice thing is that I think I'm going to try to tip in cash when I can, even if I pay with a card. He just looked so dang happy​.

Simply deciding to be in a good mood is a kindness to others (and yourself). I overslept yesterday and started my day rushed, I got ready fast and ran out the door. I was not wanting to get crap for being late, so I put it in high gear and was feeling pressured. It was going to be "one of those days!"
    It turns out that after all that wigging about being late, I got there about 20 minutes early. I walked in the door and the place was buzzing with stress. Everyone was scowling, you could have cut the tension with a knife.
    My first thought was... maybe they didn't see me and I can just go right back out, drive home and call in. My second thought was to run down to the convenience store and buy some doughnut holes (a store favorite), and not let myself get sucked into the abyss of abyssiness. I did the latter. Within five minutes the sugar and fellow feeling kicked in and set the restart button. It wound up being a very good day. Doughnuts and good moods on purpose, I recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Hey guys, I did this nice thing the other day, almost by accident, so I'm going to share it because from now on I'm gonna try to do it on purpose.

This weekend we ordered pizza delivery. I always tip, not as much as if they had to wait on us in the restaurant, but some because they did have to drive it to us, and I know they're usually broke students anyway. And then if it's crappy weather or it's really late or they're friendly (genuinely friendly, not angling-for-a-tip friendly) I tip more. Anyway, that is not the point of this; it's just setup.

Like I said, we ordered pizza delivery. And when the guy rang the doorbell and I answered it, he pulled out the receipt and said "Oh, they gave me the wrong one. Oh well, just sign here." They had given him the one without the signature and amount lines, which is where I usually write in a tip. Now, I always get a genuine smile when they see me write in a tip, so I can tell they don't always get one (which is sad, guys; come on, tip the poor 19-year-old that delivered your pizza ... he might be your doctor someday). So I said, "Hang on a minute, be right back," and left him out on the porch while I ran in and dug through my purse. All I had was five ones, which was decent but not really big considering the size of the order, so I am guessing that the huge smile on his face when I came back and gave it to him had to do with the fact that I tipped him in cash.

So my nice thing is that I think I'm going to try to tip in cash when I can, even if I pay with a card. He just looked so dang happy​.
    As a waitress in a past life I can definitely tell you cash tips are preferred!

Where I live we don't have 19-year-old delivery people. It's all older people and that makes me sad (of course) so they always get big, big tips! They're probably just doing it for fun but it breaks my heart.

I have been nice and not killed anyone. Just thought I would mention I am still murder free. And living in Florida, that is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I have been nice and not killed anyone. Just thought I would mention I am still murder free. And living in Florida, that is saying something.

I was extremely kind and volunteered to stay on at work an extra three hours today so my insufferable OCD riddled boss could go home as he was suffering from man flu. Normally I want to stab him with a plastic pot plant for his irksome petty ways but the prospect of my impending 10 lovely days annual leave filled me with a feeling of generousity not seen since the Grinch discovered he had a heart.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast