Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Absolutely my Favorite book/miniseries

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Absolutely my Favorite book/miniseries

Default Absolutely my Favorite book/miniseries

While most King books don't translate well to the movie screen, I think they did a good job with The Stand miniseries. Of course, the book is my favorite and I've read it many many times.

Default Re: Absolutely my Favorite book/miniseries

...the whole of the series was not bad...but some of the actors/actress choices were lacking...and ya'll know how I feel about Molly Ringwald...

The Stand was the first book i ever read and its the one book, i kid you not, that is always on the pile of books i make my way through. As above, I agree 100% it moved over to TV really well although some of the casting choices left alot to be desired - common thought that Ringwald wasnt the best choice.

It took me forever and a day (or so it seems) to hunt down a copy of the soundtrack lol. Ive also started to collect the comics ...........

Its just a masterpiece and many a friend have been bought a copy of the book and / or dvd as gifts after getting hooked themselves

...the graphic novels, I felt, were very well-handled....

I just finifhed up my second re-read *and* re-watching, with quite a number of years in between. While it's fresh on my brain, I'll indulge myself in expressing my humble opinions.

The second time *reading* The Stand was leaps and bounds better than I remember. It was my first time reading the uncut version and it was delicious. I loved the rich backstories of all the characters. The story of Franny's family (Mom's parlor contrasted with dad's garage.... beautiful!) and that Grandfather clock marking time in a dry age. Wow! Mother Abagail, the Trashcan man, Lloyd, Larry... I loved really getting to know them all.

The second re-watch... well... I'm sad to say that it was oodles worse than I remember it to be. Mayhap it was because the re-watch can right on the tail of the re-read... thus making it seem watered-down by comparison. I dunno. There just seemed to be more cons than pros this time around.

Pros:
    -Gary Sinise - awesome
    -Miguel Ferrer - YUM
    -The *look* of the dead people
    -Ed Harris
    -Jamey Sheridan - In my most humble opinion, he has just the right combination of smug, smart-a**yness, and evil goin on. I think he done good.
    -Mother Abagail and the look and feel of Hemminford Home was pretty spot-on.
    -Tom Cullen was right on the money and, in my opinion, along with Gary Sinise, *made* this story
    -Rob Lowe as Nick Andros. He really held his own.
    - Matt Frewer really brought it as Trashcan Man

Cons:
    -Making Rita Blakemoore and Nadine Cross a composite character - For some reason this just really got under my skin

-Laura San Giacomo was a *terrible* Nadine

-Corin Nemic - I'm sorry, but Harold Lauder was FAT, and he spoke in a much more *know-it-all* kind of way.

-Molly Ringwald - No explaination necessary

-Adam Storke - The guy is drop-dead stinkin gorgeous. I'll give him that, but he couldn't act his way out of a paper sack

- The entire story was way too rushed, watered-down and left waaayyyy too much out. I know that that has to happen, to a certain degree, but in this case - because of the epicness of the story - it should have been done slower, and with more back-story. The fact that Stu was injected with the flu while in Vermont was one of many things that should absolutely have been in the movie!

I guess I'm done. Thanks for lettling me prattle on. I *do* feel better now LOL

The book is my favorite SK novel. The mini-series isn't bad at all, but some parts were cheesy. It could have ended up a lot worse, though.