Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1408

Default 1408

This is one of my favorite Stephen King movies!

Default Re: 1408

....not bad a'tall...

I didn't get much out of it, personally. It's got good acting, but it's not even vaguely scary, which it probably ought to have been.

Scared me! But then, I scare pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by gniknehpets View Post
    Scared me! But then, I scare pretty easy.
    I do, too, typically! And to be fair, I've got friends who thought it was terrifying.

Ah, well; I'm in the minority on this one, it seems. (But I don't think it's a bad movie; just nothing special, in my eyes. I hope I'll enjoy Cusack's Cell more!)

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    I do, too, typically! And to be fair, I've got friends who thought it was terrifying.

Ah, well; I'm in the minority on this one, it seems. (But I don't think it's a bad movie; just nothing special, in my eyes. I hope I'll enjoy Cusack's Cell more!)
    Nope, I'm with you. I liked the story a lot better. But then, I usually do.

I do my best to try to judge a movie strictly as its own thing, and forget the story/book/comic/whatever as much as possible. Sometimes that's easier than other times.

My problem with the movie version of 1408 is that it simply did not scare me once Enslin got in the hotel room. Radios turning themselves on suddenly? Not scary to me. Ghosts who look like overlit television images? Not scary to me. Not even creepy.

But what is or isn't scary is one of THE most subjective things in cinematic terms, so I can't criticize anyone else for finding the movie to be scary, the same way I can't criticize someone who isn't at all scared by a movie that terrifies me. And I've heard from waaaaaay more people who loved 1408 than from people who, like me (and Shasta) were left unmoved by it.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    I do my best to try to judge a movie strictly as its own thing, and forget the story/book/comic/whatever as much as possible. Sometimes that's easier than other times.

My problem with the movie version of 1408 is that it simply did not scare me once Enslin got in the hotel room. Radios turning themselves on suddenly? Not scary to me. Ghosts who look like overlit television images? Not scary to me. Not even creepy.

But what is or isn't scary is one of THE most subjective things in cinematic terms, so I can't criticize anyone else for finding the movie to be scary, the same way I can't criticize someone who isn't at all scared by a movie that terrifies me. And I've heard from waaaaaay more people who loved 1408 than from people who, like me (and Shasta) were left unmoved by it.
    I wish I could separate the movie and book but I can't. But in this case, I agree. My scared-bone just wasn't tickled.

It's weird. There are times when I can very easily separate book and movie, and times when I can't. I didn't mind any of the changes to The Lord of the Rings, for example, or in Kubrick's version of The Shining. But the various changes that were made to the tv version of Bag of Bones drove me nuts.

I think what it amounts to is this: if a movie captures me emotionally -- regardless of what the emotions are -- then I will roll with it. If it doesn't, then I become extremely critical. And I find that what tends to work on me emotionally in cinematic terms is when the cinematic elements are strong. Good acting, good music, good cinematography, good editing, etc. Preferably all of the above. If a movie has those things, then I can take the story on its own terms and forget the source material. If it doesn't (coughbagofbonescough), then I'll spend the entire time focusing on why this was changed, or why that was changed.

I didn't do that with 1408, per se, though. I think that might be because while I like the story, it has never been one of my favorites by King, so when I sat down to watch the movie, I really didn't remember much about it.

I really like the movie 1408. I like Cusack, I like Samuel L, I love the story and find the movie scary. The original King is scarier and I like the ending better, but what else is new? I think it's a real good movie.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast