Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Vexing Words - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vexing Words

Default Re: Vexing Words

I hate the word: fashionista. I would digress

(remember it means puke to me!)
    all over a fashionista!

LongTallSally Guest

I had an ER nurse use the word 'alleged' six times while I tried to explain what someone had done to me... complimented her on the use of the word after that.

I'm not sure I hate any one particular word, but I really can't stand Textese. I won't acronym anything up unless I'm forced to either for propriety's sake or character limits. I wasn't educated only to rebus my communiqués to someone.

I hate the name "Molly". I absolutely loathe that name and I don't know why. Whenever I hear it it's like nails on a chalk board.

Irregardless. It's just "regardless", okay?
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

Not so much words as a phrase...hoping against hope...I get the face scrunchies every time I read it.
    I kinda "get it"...but not really.
    Story I'm reading now...Laura Warholic...there's a hang-up about starting a sentence, speaking, beginning
    w/the word well...which is a deep subject...deep...and meaningful.
    I've done it and don't understand it completely, as yet...so I'll try to avoid using the word.

..."sup-pose-bly...instead of supposedly...this coming from supposedly educated people...it's vexing and makes me want to digress over a societal chick whilst she using textese, hoping against hope that her alleged "friend" ergo "stud" will meet her for coffee in Chicargo...

tooken-- I been hearing that a lot. Maybe it's a southern slang for "taken". Just the other day: He's tooken the book back to the library.

I'm often made fun of because I place an "r" at the end of idea. Still have the NYC accent of idear!

Quote Originally Posted by LongTallSally View Post
    I had an ER nurse use the word 'alleged' six times while I tried to explain what someone had done to me... complimented her on the use of the word after that.
    Sounds like the nurse was in law school.

In one of my Humanities classes we studied filmmaking, and I was introduced to what may be my least favorite word: filmic. The author of the textbook we were using seemed to adore the word, using it many times cruelly, maybe even invented it him/herself. There are some words, I don't care if they really are words, they suck.

I have a dislike for many French words because I either have no idea how to pronounce them, or I'm forced to contort my face while saying them:
    cineaste
    oeuvre
    haute couture

I'm sure I could list more, but you get the idea.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast