This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vexing Words

Default Re: Vexing Words

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I have a dislike for many French words because I either have no idea how to pronounce them, or I'm forced to contort my face while saying them:
    cineaste
    oeuvre
    haute couture

I'm sure I could list more, but you get the idea.
    Wtf, are you a translator? I think French is a gorgeous-sounding language but you'll never catch me trying to say it.
    Last edited by blunthead; March 20th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    I don't have a problem with statistic . . .but for the life of me I can not say it correctly . . .I get caught up on 'tis' every time and it comes out tit!
    Mine is processor. I start adding esses and sound like I'm stuttering. Thank goodness they moved on to computers from word processessessors.

I have trouble with my own last name. I think it's a throat muscle thing, probably from repeated throat infections growing up due to having ruptured my spleen, which is a major aspect of one's immune system, requiring it be removed. I think Tom Brokaw would have a problem with it, you know, though I don't know if he has a spleen.

"My own last name"

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by LongTallSally View Post
    I had an ER nurse use the word 'alleged' six times while I tried to explain what someone had done to me... complimented her on the use of the word after that.
    "Protocol" was the .50 cent hospital word what lit up my shorts (believe it was itemized as 'Alphabet Therapy' @ $1679.00 or so a pop)...I told a room-to-room be-boppin' & most highly successful billin' Internist, that the very next person to say, 'protocol', to me, I was gonna punch 'em right in the throat..and I am so happy to report, he not restrained himself, butt my newly found displeasure of a "word", word, it finally got around the whole joint..I'm thinkin' it's might could be somethin' about the tone..and probably facial expression.

Words like always...never...when the situation is rarely either.
    Reminds me of those Picasso's...like this one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picasso106.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	17140

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    he not restrained himself
    "only", "he not 'only' restrained himself", well you know, 'he not restrained himself', that sounds just plain stupid and it's not right...ohhhh, "vexing"...well there ya go right there, "it's not", it vexes me so...well it's just that I always want to, nay, have this need to spell it, "it'snot", and that'snot right no it'snot!...ahhhhhh now that feels soooo much betterer, ya just gotta squeeze it and git it on out sometimes, know what I'm sayin'?

No words specifically, but I absolutely loathe the go-to "I give up" or "I can't think of anything else" phrase...

IT IS WHAT IT IS

No it's not, it never will be and you should be fed to badgers for saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ..."sup-pose-bly...instead of supposedly...this coming from supposedly educated people...it's vexing and makes me want to digress over a societal chick whilst she using textese, hoping against hope that her alleged "friend" ergo "stud" will meet her for coffee in Chicargo...

Overheard at an outdoor festival - I swear - not kidding - read phonetically as it's spelled out:

"Stop shmackin' yer lips while yer eatin' srimp (not a typo!) in the shtreet."

*That* was fingernails down a chalkboard for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I have a dislike for many French words because I either have no idea how to pronounce them, or I'm forced to contort my face while saying them:
    cineaste
    oeuvre
    haute couture

I'm sure I could list more, but you get the idea.
    Get someone who speaks French to teach you the phonics behind French. It'll demystify the pronunciation for you as you're able to sound things out. I promise you'll become intrigued with it as a result.

I can not STAND it when people use the word "ickle" instead of little. I actually want to hit people that say that. And I also hate it when people are teaching their kids to say "thank you"..... you pass something to the child and the moronic parent is saying "ta... say ta"....Perhaps it's just an English thing, but i want to scream IT'S THANK YOU!!!!! In fact, baby talk I abhor. There is no need for it. Crumbs, I can feel myself getting wound up just thinking about it!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast