Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Just heard....RIP James Herbert - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just heard....RIP James Herbert

Default Re: Just heard....RIP James Herbert

This makes me really sad. I am going to go out and buy every Herbert book I can find now! I remember reading 'The Fog' way back when I was 15 or 16 and (as someone stated in an earlier post about the 'sexy bits') walked around rather aroused for the two days it took to read it!!

I was off the grid earlier... so sad to hear this.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Default James Herbert

Not seen it mentioned on any other thread. I have just read that James Herbert has died at the age of 69. Apparently he died in his sleep and no cause has yet been given. I have only read a couple of his books, his stories didn't always grab me but I'm sure he will be sorely missed by millions of fans.

Default Re: James Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
    Not seen it mentioned on any other thread. I have just read that James Herbert has died at the age of 69. Apparently he died in his sleep and no cause has yet been given. I have only read a couple of his books, his stories didn't always grab me but I'm sure he will be sorely missed by millions of fans.
    Hi Liselle, this thread was tucked away in amongst the others so I've merged your thread with the earlier one.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Unhappy James Herbert

I know this is Stephen King's site but I am sure that some SK fans will not mind me posting:

R.I.P James Herbert, one of the best horror/fiction authors to come out of the UK and one of the first horror authors (as well as SK) to influence my reading genre.

A very sad day for the literature world.

James, you will be greatly missed

...I too enjoyed his work...a master craftsman has hung up his pen...

Default Re: Just heard....

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    Go for it, The Rats, The fog, The Magic Cottage....he wrote alot.
    Will do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I too enjoyed his work...a master craftsman has hung up his pen...
    Almost literally, since he wrote everything longhand rather than on a machine (or so the man himself had it).

He was one of my favourite writers - better, in some ways, than SK IMO, though that's probably just because I have/had that much more in common with JH culturally than I do or can with Stephen - and the news of his passing, as with SK's accident, was one of those sharp-intake-of-breath, can't-quite-believe-what-you're-seeing moments.

For those who are interested: check out 'The Rats' trilogy (The Rats, Lair, Domain - should be available in a single volume on Amazon), The Dark, Shrine, Sepulchre, Haunted, and Creed. Pretty much everything else is OK, but for me, these are the stand-outs (for various reasons).

My Sister is a big fan of his, I saw a copy of The Rats in my local Morrison's (UK supermarket) for 1.99 so bought it, but haven't read it yet. I also have The Fog and The Dark - both bought for my Sister to read first, and me eventually.

I didn`t know he was dead until I logged on just now. How sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast