This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 'It' a Tommyknocker?

Default Re: Is 'It' a Tommyknocker?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesArm View Post
    In the Tommyknockers, there is a mention of a writer who lives in Bangor who writes scary books, obviously King himself. BUT, the character in Derry doesn't imagine laughter coming from a drain, he sees Pennywise in clownperson coming from the drain.
    Are you sure? On pg. 277 of the hardback, there's the following line:

"Sometimes he would lie in the dark and think he heard chuckling noises coming from the drains and he would think: You're going nuts, old-timer."

This is during one of Ev Hillman's scenes. I don't remember anyone seeing Pennwyise coming out of the drain. I'm not positive of it, but unless someone points directly to the supposed scene, I'm going to keep assuming that my memory is the correct one.

As for the question of whether Derry would exist on the level of the Tower where King exists...the way I see that, it's possible that this might be a different level than the one the version of King in Song of Susannah lived on. So perhaps there are levels in which King is real and Derry is a real place, too.

It's a good, fair question, though.

In "A Book of Days--the Town Concluded"...section 14 of that chapter, Tommy had begun to hallucinate..

"as he drove up Wentworth Street, he thought he saw a clown grinning up at him from an open sewer manhole--a clown with shiny silver dollars for eyes and a clenched white glove filled with balloons."
    p 510 in a u.s.a. pb version

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    In "A Book of Days--the Town Concluded"...section 14 of that chapter, Tommy had begun to hallucinate..

"as he drove up Wentworth Street, he thought he saw a clown grinning up at him from an open sewer manhole--a clown with shiny silver dollars for eyes and a clenched white glove filled with balloons."
    p 510 in a u.s.a. pb version
    Ah-ha! I didn't remember that at all. Thanks!

The creature in It is not a Tommyknocker. The origins of the creature are revealed in the book itself, when we are given a direct view into the creature's thoughts.

I have lots of crazy theories about every thing,
    but...no , all together different creatures.

IT is a cosmic entity . Space aliens are not.

...argument settled....it's neither a cosmic critter or a space immigrant....it's a Colorado Brewery...

I don't think It is a Tommyknocker, mainly due to this:

The writer and critic Kim Newman has cited another influence on the novel, saying that in it King had "more or less rewritten Quatermass and the Pit," a 1950s BBC television science-fiction serial involving the excavation of a long-buried alien spacecraft, and the growing influence of the dormant machine on surrounding human beings.

I've never been a big fan of The Tommyknockers. I remember the movie scaring me as a kid, especially those damn dolls! I found the book slow moving, but interesting in parts. I always joke that my favorite thing about the novel was the line from Queen's "Hammer to Fall".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123