Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Things that annoy you about writers? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you about writers?

Default Re: Things that annoy you about writers?

Poorly written, unnecessary sex scenes. They make me kind of embarrassed for the author, and I am the last thing from a prude.

Oh lordy, where to start?

I'll start with writers who try (and usually fail) to write dialect or regional accent. Mr. King does a really good job at bringing that impenetrable Northeast accent to the page--because he rarely attempts it, and he spreads it on lightly. Read the passages in IT where Mike's father meets the lumberjacks in the bar. Can't do it much better than that, unless your name is Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Poorly written, unnecessary sex scenes. They make me kind of embarrassed for the author, and I am the last thing from a prude.
    I agree with you and unfortunately, SK is guilty of this at times.

I can't stand when authors use the same big word over and over again because they don't know any others. Like Twilight and the word "incredulous." I want to hit the book every time I read it. (Yes, yes, I know you all think Twilight sucks, blah blah blah, move on.)

I also can't stand when writers have overly emotional scenes between a man and a woman. I literally knew I was going to marry my husband the first time I saw him from the BACK but there were no lightning bolts, my heart didn't seize, my eyes didn't flash when I looked at him.

And angry, violent men being "tamed" by love really bothers me too.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    I agree with you and unfortunately, SK is guilty of this at times.
    Really? I am 100% prude and I can't think of a single time Mr. King does this. And I'm very sensitive to any sex scene.

The main thing that annoys me about writers is they never dedicate any of their books to me. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    The main thing that annoys me about writers is they never dedicate any of their books to me. :-(

That's it. I'm writing a book so I can dedicate it to each and every member on the SKMB.

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    When characters "sleep without dreaming." I know most of the time people don't remember their dreams, but some authors *cough* King *cough* use this a LOOOOOOT. I don't know why, but it annoys me...
    I "thanked" this but honestly don't know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Oh lordy, where to start?

I'll start with writers who try (and usually fail) to write dialect or regional accent. Mr. King does a really good job at bringing that impenetrable Northeast accent to the page--because he rarely attempts it, and he spreads it on lightly. Read the passages in IT where Mike's father meets the lumberjacks in the bar. Can't do it much better than that, unless your name is Mark Twain.
    I think the key is spreading it on lightly. Either I know what accent you're getting at, and I'll hear it in my head with just a hint, OR I don't, and no amount of phonetics is going to help me really hear it, but a hint will get across the idea that it's different from mine. There's not much worse, reading-wise, than trying to read a book and failing because you literally have no idea what the character is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Really? I am 100% prude and I can't think of a single time Mr. King does this. And I'm very sensitive to any sex scene.
    I am horrible at remembering exact scenes and passages in books, so I cannot specifically site any right now. And remember, the OP said "Poorly written, unnecessary sex scenes." This has nothing to do with prudishness. I'm referring to sex scenes thrown in just for the hell of it. I seem to remember some in 11/22/63 and the use of the word

poundcake
    to refer to it. I found these scenes extremely hokey and cringe worthy.

Also, just Google something like "stephen king bad sex scene" and you will get many hits. Here's just one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...9DlN_blog.html

I am not alone.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast