Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Things that annoy you about writers? - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you about writers?

Default Re: Things that annoy you about writers?

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    You make their horrific disappearances sound like a GOOD thing!
    Gotta remain positive!

I hate it when a writer will use the same word several times in a sentence. It was cold,cold,cold. I heard yah the first time.
    I do not like a thing that Uncle Steve does from time to time. In IT, he had Stan recite the name of birds when he comfronted the monsters in the standpipe or whatever. This basically saved him. Peter Sraub did the same thing in Floating Dragon..characters singing "The red red robin". This seems sorta silly to me. I don't buy it.

In regards to preaching to the readers, Koontz is guilty of this big-time.

When a writer doesn't do his/her homework, when they write about something they are not entirely or even vaguely familiar. In Richard Russo's, Nobody's Fool, a great story!...Russo describes the framing of the floor of Sully's old family home, calling the floor joists "lengthwise-running foundation beams". Gaaaaawp! And then, if that wasn't enough--they are removing the hardwood floor to install in the camp of Carl Roebuck--but there is no sub-flooring beneath the hardwood floor. Floor joists have evolved to a number of different species...I-joists...Glue-lams...another a kind of trestle-joist...and who knows, maybe the good folk in North Bath, New York (where Russo's story takes place) do call them "lengthwise-running foundation beams" but I doubt it. Makes me wonder if Russo some knows ole-card of a contractor, one whom Russo asked for advice, feedback, and this is the result? Someone should clue him in on the Henway. Yet, I enjoyed this story. Sully is a real hoot.

I've seen other examples of this minor irritation in others...in one from Koontz, though I don't recall the details.

But Russo's story brings to mind other things I've wondered about. Like, Sully has been having a 20-yr affair w/another woman who is married. Was Matthew Arnold the Big Talking Head whose essay about a touchstone added to the discourse about what art should be? But then, there's all manner of satire out there...and whatever Plato or some other long-dead holy guy of art had to say on the matter of comedy has been lost to time and the elements.

Over detailed description. "The ivy curled around the rose trellis that climbed the old white stone of the southern mansion." Just made that line up, but you get the point. I confess to skimming those scenes (many go on for paragraphs).

That's why I can't get into Ann Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    That's why I can't get into Ann Rice.
    Oh, if you're talking about over description I was thinking more "romance" (in broad terms) novels. I like more of an Alice Hoffman book, if I'm going to read a story that combines more than one element.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    When a writer doesn't do his/her homework, when they write about something they are not entirely or even vaguely familiar. In Richard Russo's, Nobody's Fool, a great story!...Russo describes the framing of the floor of Sully's old family home, calling the floor joists "lengthwise-running foundation beams". Gaaaaawp! And then, if that wasn't enough--they are removing the hardwood floor to install in the camp of Carl Roebuck--but there is no sub-flooring beneath the hardwood floor. Floor joists have evolved to a number of different species...I-joists...Glue-lams...another a kind of trestle-joist...and who knows, maybe the good folk in North Bath, New York (where Russo's story takes place) do call them "lengthwise-running foundation beams" but I doubt it. Makes me wonder if Russo some knows ole-card of a contractor, one whom Russo asked for advice, feedback, and this is the result? Someone should clue him in on the Henway. Yet, I enjoyed this story. Sully is a real hoot.

I've seen other examples of this minor irritation in others...in one from Koontz, though I don't recall the details.

But Russo's story brings to mind other things I've wondered about. Like, Sully has been having a 20-yr affair w/another woman who is married. Was Matthew Arnold the Big Talking Head whose essay about a touchstone added to the discourse about what art should be? But then, there's all manner of satire out there...and whatever Plato or some other long-dead holy guy of art had to say on the matter of comedy has been lost to time and the elements.
    The movie,Paul Newman,Bruce Willis,Melanie Griffith,etc,was great..

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    The movie,Paul Newman,Bruce Willis,Melanie Griffith,etc,was great..
    Looks like it is a good show. Did they have Rasputin in it? The Doberman, in Russo's story, the dog at the construction yard? That must be Sully's lawyer friend w/Newman-Sully...Abraham Wirfly...Melannie G as Toby, Carl's wife...ooooo-weee!

That the good books have to end.

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    ..."So-and-so never saw him or her again." There is a difference between foreshadowing and beating me in the head with the fact that my favorite character is going to die.
    I was talking to a friend about this the ther day. They didn't like that sK will sometimes do that. I like it though I wasn't used to seeing it with other authors. I like the foreshadowing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast