Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Things that annoy you about writers? - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you about writers?

Default Re: Things that annoy you about writers?

SK has done that a couple of times and shocked me. I guess he did it right. I don't have examples off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    Looks like it is a good show. Did they have Rasputin in it? The Doberman, in Russo's story, the dog at the construction yard? That must be Sully's lawyer friend w/Newman-Sully...Abraham Wirfly...Melannie G as Toby, Carl's wife...ooooo-weee!
    Oob..you are kidding right? you are a fan of the book but never saw the movie?Which is my issue,never even knew this was a book..
    This is one of my favorite movies,Paul Newman and the rest of the cast were simply wonderful..you will thank me for having seen this movie..

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    Oob..you are kidding right? you are a fan of the book but never saw the movie?Which is my issue,never even knew this was a book..
    This is one of my favorite movies,Paul Newman and the rest of the cast were simply wonderful..you will thank me for having seen this movie..
    Yeah...no, I've never seen the movie. When I saw the clip that you posted I thought...hmmmm, I wonder what my take on the story would have been had I seen the movie first? This is my favorite story from Russo...I've read three now. The short clips reminded me of Grumpy Old Men...Walther Mattheau, Jack Lemon, Ann Margaret? Ann flashes? Yippi ki aye boy howdy! So...yessirree mister. Probably the only two movies I'm aware of that a snowblower figures in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I hate it when a writer will use the same word several times in a sentence. It was cold,cold,cold. I heard yah the first time.
    I do not like a thing that Uncle Steve does from time to time. In IT, he had Stan recite the name of birds when he comfronted the monsters in the standpipe or whatever. This basically saved him. Peter Sraub did the same thing in Floating Dragon..characters singing "The red red robin". This seems sorta silly to me. I don't buy it.

In regards to preaching to the readers, Koontz is guilty of this big-time.
    As far as the repetition thing goes, it's a form of mediation to ground and calm oneself in anxiety-producing situations. A lot of us probably do it in one way or another and don't even realize we do it. Prayer is another way of doing it. What's the difference really in reciting names of birds or reciting the "Our Father?" Yes, there is the religious aspect to it, but basically we are just concentrating our thoughts and calming ourselves when we do these things. I totally buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I was talking to a friend about this the ther day. They didn't like that sK will sometimes do that. I like it though I wasn't used to seeing it with other authors. I like the foreshadowing.
    I like it too. Because what's the story behind it, right?

Someday I shall write a story where someone never sees someone again but nobody dies.

Super-short paragraphs annoy me. Koontz's books have these; or at least the last couple of his that I read did, and that's one of the reasons I finally swore off on him. The paragraphs are like two sentences long, so I feel like I'm reading a first-grade Dick-and-Jane book. I like big, long, juicy paragraphs, with lots of teeny, tiny print. A shorter paragraph every once in a while for emphasis is fine, but why do it constantly in a book written for adults? It's just W-E-I-R-D.

If an author writes really choppy, it can annoy me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The writer I get most annoyed with is myself. "Why?" you ask. For being lazy or whatever and not writing when I know I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    Super-short paragraphs annoy me. Koontz's books have these; or at least the last couple of his that I read did, and that's one of the reasons I finally swore off on him. The paragraphs are like two sentences long, so I feel like I'm reading a first-grade Dick-and-Jane book. I like big, long, juicy paragraphs, with lots of teeny, tiny print. A shorter paragraph every once in a while for emphasis is fine, but why do it constantly in a book written for adults? It's just W-E-I-R-D.
    I don't know, long paragraphs irk me sometimes. Not always though. Depends on what's going on in said long paragraph, I suppose.

I hate writers who switch from first person narration to third person in the same book FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Now, if the story calls for it, say like in WTTK, then it's fine. But otherwise it seems sloppy, unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    I hate writers who switch from first person narration to third person in the same book FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Now, if the story calls for it, say like in WTTK, then it's fine. But otherwise it seems sloppy, unprofessional.

Some writers write that way; call it metafiction, if you want to give it a term. But, I think it just comes natural.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast