Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
A strange but neat thing happened............... - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A strange but neat thing happened...............

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: A strange but neat thing happened...............

Quote Originally Posted by king family fan View Post
    I have alot of doubles also incase something happens to one. Then some I have extras as I got better copies or 1st editions with time.
    The way I end up with multiple copies is that I'm always on the lookout for a better edition. I've got all the books in hardcover (except for a couple), some I bought new when they came out and others I bought used later as I was building an all hardcover SK library. Of course, my Carrie and the older books are reprint editions and my Salem's Lot is the anniversary edition. My oldest First Edition is Pet Semetary. I check the Goodwill store frequently hoping someone left their book collection to Goodwill and there is a First Edition Carrie or Gunslinger on the shelf.

Peope don't understand reading either,in my circumstance..have by no means a large library,but at least three or four hundred hard copies..and have given away twice that over the years.Why is it odd that people read?Before television,it was read or play whatever game was in fashion till lights out..How do you increase your knowledge,verbal comprehension,just flat out enjoy the world you cannot reach without it? People today surf the net and that has reallyincreased their knowledge but the real details,to me at least,is in the written word..mystifying that some seem to hold book reading as a waste of time,or an oddity..just don't get that kind of thinking..

I find I enjoy the hands on. The reading leads to questions. If I re read sometimes I learn more.Like perhaps I missed something the first time around. I like to discussion the books with others that read them.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    Peope don't understand reading either,in my circumstance..have by no means a large library,but at least three or four hundred hard copies..and have given away twice that over the years.Why is it odd that people read?Before television,it was read or play whatever game was in fashion till lights out..How do you increase your knowledge,verbal comprehension,just flat out enjoy the world you cannot reach without it? People today surf the net and that has reallyincreased their knowledge but the real details,to me at least,is in the written word..mystifying that some seem to hold book reading as a waste of time,or an oddity..just don't get that kind of thinking..

I find I enjoy the hands on. The reading leads to questions. If I re read sometimes I learn more.Like perhaps I missed something the first time around. I like to discussion the books with others that read them.
    Thanks,I find it odd that people who have to understand reports,their completeness,readability,and precision can't understand book reading..in fact,I was looking at a job,where the screening process actually asked if you read science fiction or horror,in a way that made it clear that such activity was looked down on..of course,nothing about the video game where the character kills various and sundry people,in inventive ways..stuff like that makes me shake my head..

I've seen copies of Stephen King's stories on the shelves of my customers, although when I've asked who is the King fan, the person I ask has usually replied, oh, that's so-and-so...and only a couple times have I suspected that the fan was right there, in front of me and I didn't press them on it. I haven't asked everyone...but I thought it was interesting, the times when only one title was on the shelf...Hearts...in the case of what I'll call a couple of old hippies. They were the right age. Word gets around, I believe, one way or another.

...I actually have gotten my wife somewhat interested in King...which is really neat...joint discussions, instead of me blathering on...

To be fair people notice the King books on a bookshelf because there's so many of them. If Harper Lee was your favourite novelist no-one would notice from seeing your bookshelf. If I entered someones home and they had all 723 novels by Barbara Cartland I would be filled with an insurpressable urge to say "Oh! Someone likes Barbara Cartland!"

Thats awesome! Tell her to join in with us anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I actually have gotten my wife somewhat interested in King...which is really neat...joint discussions, instead of me blathering on...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    What are some of her favorites?

I would never let anyone borrow one of my books. I am so weird about my books. It's like letting someone borrow my kids for the week. (I'd be more inclined to the second idea more so than the first.)

I have a wonderful wall of books, all sorts of books. But, my King books stand out I'm sure. No one has ever asked me about them. I live deep deep in Republican/Religious country. I always get the feeling that after looking at my book case, the people who see my books feel lucky to make it out of my house alive because of course, anyone who likes stephen king must be running a torture dungeon in the crawlspace.

My sons teacher sent home the wrong report card. LOL Anyway so I called and she offered to drop it by the house. Mean while I discover he has two golden tickets. Honor roll,principals list. The teacher gets here we start talking ,I invite her in. Long story short she sees some of my king collection. We get more involved in conversation. we start walking through looking at my King things and she borrows The Dark Half. Anyway thought that was pretty cool. As anything like this happen to any of you?
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast