Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Christian rock or rock from any other faith? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christian rock or rock from any other faith?

Default Re: Christian rock or rock from any other faith?

Christian Rock is very vapid. Not because it's about Jesus but because it's just lame. IMO, the problem with Christian Rock is the same as the problem with mainstream rock today. It sucks. Would Nickelback really sound any better or worse if they were singing about Christ instead of playing baseball in their bathroom?

I don't often listen to Jesus music, but when I do... I make it old school gospel. The Swanee Quintet, Elvis Presley, Al Green, et al.

Staro, no disrespect to your fondness for Christian rock at all!
    I remember singing at the top of my lungs with George Harrison and "My Sweet Lord" when I was little, so I guess maybe I appreciated Christian/spiritual music on a completely different level when I was five.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Staro, no disrespect to your fondness for Christian rock at all!
    I remember singing at the top of my lungs with George Harrison and "My Sweet Lord" when I was little, so I guess maybe I appreciated Christian/spiritual music on a completely different level when I was five.
    Which brings to mind my favorite Hindu Rock song.. The Art of Dying, by George Harrison

I grew up with Christian rock, so stuff like Keith Green and Petra and early Amy Grant were the first things I heard. It made an impact, and some of it is good. There's some I will still listen to (PFR and Jars of Clay, for example). I don't listen to any of the recent stuff, although I hear it from time to time. I don't enjoy it. A lot of the problem is that Christian music sells itself as a ministry, but it's really commercial. Everything about it tends to end up becoming a commercial thing, from the production to the marketing, the handful of hired songwriters who work on many albums behind the scenes, and it's the same people who run the country music scene in Nashville. I'm especially bothered at the idea of marketing "worship music", that something like worshiping God can be sold. So that's why Christian music isn't better, but there are exceptions. They just don't tend to last long...people do get run out of the Christian music industry quite often.

Saw a few bands mentioned here that I have good memories of. Plumb, Skillet, they were good. George Harrison of course is a whole other kind of spirituality, but All Things Must Pass is life changing. I find spirituality in music where it's unexpected, not where it's crammed in.

My favorite person in Christian music would be Rich Mullins. He wrote with a conviction and honesty that seems rare in music.

Another favorite artist is Steve Taylor. I don't always agree with his politics (especially stuff he said on his first few albums), but he is one of the most unusual artists in Christian music. He used sarcasm and satire to shine a light on the problems within the church, which didn't sit well with a lot of people. He also experimented with different sounds constantly, trying different things out. He eventually got tired of all the trouble and became a producer and songwriter for some other groups, mainly the Newsboys. Elle G. is still one of the best songs I've ever listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Giant, Skillet is one of the few Christian bands I REALLY like!

That song is insane live.

Sometimes I stumble upon a tune I really adore...

christian rock ?? sorry...have listened off 'n on...nothing really spectacular, mostly for the reasons louie mentioned...

now some rough 'n ready gospel...give me some mike farris any day

but still prefer bach & the like...'ceptin' maybe when they get all vocally...dreary-dreary me...

I remember feeling guilty for singing to "My Sweet Lord"

Nuns.

Kris Kristofferson, Jesus was a Capricorn...not the best recording...but it is a taste

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast