This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Dodgeball Removed From School

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    This is ridiculous!!! What is the world coming to??? First they take away this amazing game because all the out of shape kids get sad because they suck and now they are trying to take away our guns because of the crazy kids who think they are toys?? This is one of the best activities I remember about young gym class. Why dont they make everyone run before they start the game to get all the kids in shape for what is about to happen? I dont know if anyone has a good solution for this but people are becoming way to sensitive for all of the wrong reasons. They are only taking away from the majority by switching to volleyball for the obese kids.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky
    Posts
    5,859

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Ahh them olden golden skool daze...on the west side (well yeah the best side) of Cincinnati, we'd play Tether-ball as a contact sport (elbows allowed, butt no head butting in the face), Dodge-ball was strictly for the sport of payback.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under The Keg
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I guess the possibility does exist for it to be a bullying mechanism (that possibility exists in every game, however) but whoever is overseeing the game shouldn't let it get out of hand or offer an alternative game for those who don't want to play. I hate bullying but I also hate when parents and schools start trying to eliminate all competition. I think competition is important because you get a giant dose of competition after your school days are over and you need to be prepared.
    Well said, fljoe0......

    Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Ahh them olden golden skool daze...on the west side (well yeah the best side) of Cincinnati, we'd play Tether-ball as a contact sport (elbows allowed, butt no head butting in the face), Dodge-ball was strictly for the sport of payback.
    I took a few lumps in Tether-ball too......

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    We also played, "Kill the man with the ball." There was nothing like getting the football and then having 50 people chasing you. That one wasn't school sponsored - we had to play that one on our own. Now that was a payback sport.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under The Keg
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    We also played, "Kill the man with the ball." There was nothing like getting the football and then having 50 people chasing you. That one wasn't school sponsored - we had to play that one on our own. Now that was a payback sport.
    Holy cow, fljoe0!! We played that too, but never during school.........LOL. You had to go home first and find your oldest clothes to wear before playing that!!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Dodgeball is going the way of tug-of-war and red rover. (Anyone remember that game?) Too great a risk for injuries, at least that's what schools around here say. I used to love all these games when I was a kid.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under The Keg
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    Dodgeball is going the way of tug-of-war and red rover. (Anyone remember that game?) Too great a risk for injuries, at least that's what schools around here say. I used to love all these games when I was a kid.
    We played those in school too Autumn Gust. Have they really banned tug-of-war? Red Rover I might be able to see due to all the physical contact, but ToW?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    You people clearly were not bullied in school.

    This game was a war for me and I hated every second of it.

    Throwing balls directly AT people? How is that NOT a set-up for bullying? I think it should have been gone years ago and I'm glad it is.

    I can remember at least one boy getting a broken nose from this game.

    There's a reason there are a million movies and TV shows with horrifying dodge ball scenes.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under The Keg
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    You people clearly were not bullied in school.

    This game was a war for me and I hated every second of it.

    Throwing balls directly AT people? How is that NOT a set-up for bullying? I think it should have been gone years ago and I'm glad it is.

    I can remember at least one boy getting a broken nose from this game.

    There's a reason there are a million movies and TV shows with horrifying dodge ball scenes.
    Thanks for your perspective, Shasta.

    I was not bullied in school. I also was not a bully. In our grade school the girls were never thrown at the way the boys took to each other. It was the code of the times in our neck of the woods. The teachers also had a better handle on kids than they seem to now. My wife is a teacher and she can testify to this firsthand. I think it was an easier time to teach and discipline kids instead of having one eye constantly looking behind you to see if you did anything wrong in today's world.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Dodgeball Removed From School

    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Thanks for your perspective, Shasta.

    I was not bullied in school. I also was not a bully. In our grade school the girls were never thrown at the way the boys took to each other. It was the code of the times in our neck of the woods. The teachers also had a better handle on kids than they seem to now. My wife is a teacher and she can testify to this firsthand. I think it was an easier time to teach and discipline kids instead of having one eye constantly looking behind you to see if you did anything wrong in today's world.
    It wasn't just boys - it was girls too.

    And when a teacher would say something they would always say, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." And that would be the end. And it's awfully hard to watch 30 running around kids, with flying balls, no matter how hard you try.

    I was bullied in school and in no way, shape, or form was I as targeted in dodgeball as I saw other kids get targeted.

    Now kickball, on the other hand - kickball was rad. Anything where you weren't told to throw a ball as hard as you could at someone's body was pretty much rad. There are plenty of other games you can play to teach competition without having a game in which you directly target people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •