Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
JD Salinger

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Salinger

Default JD Salinger

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn’t happen much, though.” JD Salinger

That is just how I am feeling... I wish I could just calll Mr. King up and say thank you for Duma Key.

Default Re: JD Salinger

I read Catcher In The Rye a few years back and just didn't understand what all the fuss was about.
    I'd like to tell Mr. King 'Thankee big-big!' face-to-face. Yes, he's heard it a million times, but I really don't think way deep down inside that he tires of it........

I like how the metaphor of the pond can be interpreted in a number of ways...when the pond is frozen (read the home)...the child is sent away and all indications are that that will continue after Holden leaves the place where he narrates the telling...if the pond is the world of literature, the writer stops sending things out the door...and if the ducks are the reader, they find a way, they always do...and too, sometimes the writer find a way to race across the top of the surface of the frozen pond.

Franny and Zooey is another great story...10 stars out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I read Catcher In The Rye a few years back and just didn't understand what all the fuss was about.
    I'd like to tell Mr. King 'Thankee big-big!' face-to-face. Yes, he's heard it a million times, but I really don't think way deep down inside that he tires of it........
    Were you in high school? I think you have to be in high school.

But I personally think his best work is "A Perfect Day for Bananfish."

No offense intended, but The Catcher in the Rye is a young man's book. Oh, it captures that fire and mystery of youth, perfectly. But, just as youth fades into maturity, our ability to relate to the themes of the book fades.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    No offense intended, but The Catcher in the Rye is a young man's book. Oh, it captures that fire and mystery of youth, perfectly. But, just as youth fades into maturity, our ability to relate to the themes of the book fades.
    Yea, could be. I just didn't relate all that much to Holden. I could remember being the all-out horn-dog that he was, but it just didn't seem all that 'controversial' to me that most seem to think it is.
    Last edited by kingricefan; March 28th, 2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling cause I'm stoopid again

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I agree with that.

Yea, could be. I just didn't relate all that much to Holden. I could remember being the all-out horn-dof that he was, but it just didn't seem all that 'controversial' to me that most seem to think it is.
    It's not terribly controversial in this day and age. In the tighty-whitey 1950s, though, it was. It was pulled from shelves, burned in the streets, and teachers were fired for teaching from it.

It's not terribly controversial in this day and age. In the tighty-whitey 1950s, though, it was. It was pulled from shelves, burned in the streets, and teachers were fired for teaching from it.
    Oh, yea, I can see that happening. Maybe if I had read it back when I was a kid I would've 'gotten' it? Reading it a few years ago, I was actually bored with it. I haven't read anything else by Salinger. I think 'Frannie and Zoey' is supposed to be good tho.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I think I read where it took several years for it to get popular. I think teachers thought it related to the students and wanted them to read it and all hell broke loose from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast