Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Jesus painting banned in school.......... - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Jesus painting banned in school..........

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    I am actually proud of the folks on this site. Even the folks I do not agree with are in my highest regards. You are the best folks anyone can have as friends. Gosh, what a wonderful family we are on this site. The bestest in the world.
    When I get a mite heated because of my beliefs when discussing issues on here, I remember how my late foster father lived his life. He hated predjudize people who hated others in different religions and in differnt mind frames than others. He was a Catholic but married an anglican who became more of a Catholic than he was. When I left the Catholic faith at the age of twenty, he supported my decision one hundred percent. He did not believe in stuff like ghosts but always said to me....who believed....that there was no hurt in me doing so. He said that there is nothing wrong with you protecting yourself from something that does not exist. He said that even if you did not believe in God, there is nothing wrong with saying a few prayers anyway. LOL...Dad was the best....he lived his life never offending anyone.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Emerald city
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    America needs to be de-christianised my school has many religious items like a picture of leonardos 'last supper'. I dont mind the art i mind how teachers will bring their christianity and try to influence us. One reacher told us how he hates when people tell him happy holidays, and he almost hates me for being an athirst. One teacher even sent out a pamphlet for church. Come on, i didnt come to school to be subjected to church, now i did come to learn culture. At least out science class teachs evolution.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Sure I can. There's not any extra-Biblical evidence that Jesus ever actually lived.
    You must have missed the movie this weekend, The Bible...I caught a part of it...part where Satan tempts Jesus in the wilderness...the part that all that hullabaloo was about last week...Satan looked silvery to me...but maybe it was just the set, an older model...looked like something on Lost in Space...the black and white version.

    But what qualifies as evidence to you? The Antiquities compiled the Roman and Jewish historian Josephus?...the Annals of Tacitus, another Roman historian?...The Passing of Peregrinus by Lucian of Samosata?...the 25-some mentions in the Koran, 19 more, maybe it do ya fine, of Mohammed? give or take....heh.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    outside the dome
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    i'm with da RG...

    but i must admit...the give 'n take betwix he 'n chuggs was, as flake pointed out, indeed a marvel

    don't sell yourself short, chuggsy...you did fine

    this sort of thing brings too many ruffled feathers where none should be...constitutionally speaking...the decision is the correct one...if the school wants to keep the picture, they should reconfigure it as part of a larger motiff with a wide variety of historical and religious leaders/thinkers...that would be a constitutional approach
    Last edited by guido tkp; April 3rd, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    What about the great works of art? I am sure that, especially in Europe, there are a lot of folks who do not believe...it is their choice. Should the works of Leonardo or DaVinci be removed because of their religious nature. I am sure there are many public learning establishments with artforms of a religious nature inside them. Who decides if they are there because of faith or because of art?
    Like I said earlier, it is a public school, I do not care about the actual painting....it could have been a Star of David....same thing. This picture was there for a very long time and everybody lived with it. I imagine most of the student body and the parent body couldn't give a good gol darn. I am wondering where it is going to stop? I know a lot of agnostics and atheists who are very smart people. This is something they would not waste their time over.
    There are several States here in the United States who don't understand why anyone has a problem with the Confederate Battle Flag. They use a lot of the same arguments. It has been around forever. It is tradition. It doesn't mean what it used to mean. The problem is that it DOES mean what it used to mean to many people who see it. To some people it is a symbol of slavery. It isn't surprising that they don't care much for it. Being old doesn't make something appropriate, nor does it "grandfather" it in.

    We already seem to agree that since it is a public school, the issue is pretty much moot. We all know what the Courts would rule too. I can't speak to what people would or should do in Europe because this issue takes place in the United States. I'm all for preserving art, and as you say, much of it is of a religious nature. That doesn't mean I think it should be setup at the end of the lockers or in front of the gym. Ultimately, if even one student over the years felt belittled or somehow lessened because of that picture (most likely being of another faith) then it wasn't worth having it there. To put it another way....

    1. People who don't care at all don't notice the picture. It might as well be a blank wall.
    2. Christians who believe don't need the picture because they carry their faith in their heart and live their life in said credo.

    The odd man out... the....

    3. Is the non-Christian student who is daily reminded that this isn't his/her school. It belongs to those who worship this icon. You are the outsider. It is a distraction.

    I think to some degree the discussion has wandered into other territory, namely that of art. I consider this problematic because I don't for a moment believe the picture was placed there (and neither do you) as an artistic choice. The people who first put it up chose it for the statement it made. It remained because other people agreed with that statement and after a long time it just became a fixture, a tradition. Lots of things become traditions. That doesn't make them right. I have no doubt that picture will continue to be displayed somewhere appropriate. I have no doubt a local Church, museum (if it is good quality) or private residence will display it. Those that want to look at it will find it. In place of that picture (if anything is needed at all) a great work of art could be placed with less obvious religious distraction. I'm sure we could name a hundred without even trying. They could put the Constitution up there (never a bad idea) or the Declaration of Independence. A few poems from "Where the Sidewalk Ends" would be of great value, or even some panels of Calvin & Hobbs.
    Last edited by Robert Gray; April 3rd, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    You're welcome. But I'd say more credit goes to Robert Gray. He kept his head a bit better than I. That said, we should all strive to talk peaceably to one another. Respect is a good thing. Our politicians would do well to learn that. To Robert Gray, thank you for the chat. You made me look inside myself a bit, and that's always a good thing.
    Ditto. I appreciate your patience with me likewise. I'm not known for my tact and warmth. Discussions like ours turn into venom too easily and the fact that ours didn't demonstrates that people can talk about hard topics.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Robert I respect your beliefs and admire you for having them for you seem to care about the feelings of others. I feel that there is a growing intolerance towards folks who have a belief system. I am not offended by anybodys beliefs and I am sure most folks feel that way. I have to wonder how we are going to deal with the folks who are offended by everything....from the books of Mart Twain to the Christmas decorations in a city mall. Soon, there will be no celebration at all. When folks say they are offended, I would like to know just how much. Having a religious painting in a school hall should not be that offensive if it has been there for almost a century. That seems petty to me.

    One of the shelters I worked at was run by a Christian organization. It was a public place where seniors, with little money, could come to socalize and have three hots meals a day....free of charge. We had other things like free dental, free hair cuts and pedicurs...all that stuff. Different volunteer groups would come in different days of the week. Sai Baba would come in every Wednesday and help with a vegetarian meal..they would buy the supplies for it. When the meal was cooked and the clients were seated we would have a moment of prayers, then the members would place a picture of Sai Baba on the counter with a tea candle. The first dish from the meal I cooked would be placed by the picture in respect. Now this is a Christian shelter...but folks looked forward to the Sai Baba days of the week. They were wonderful. This is tolerance. Nobody was hurt by having to acknowledge their faith. In fact, we learned from it.
    Last edited by staropeace; April 3rd, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Soon, there will be no celebration at all.
    You're not really buying that War on Christmas stuff, are you?

    The US alone spends six billion dollars a year on Christmas decorations.


    That's REAL billions, not UK billions....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Lol Sepia. I like the old Newfoundland Christmas. When I was a child, we would have a wonderful time. Folks would go mummering. Grownups would dress up with face coverings and go door to door. They would knock on doors and ask if the mummers could come in. When they entered, they usually did a little dance or played some music etc and they were offered a drink of rum or beer and some Christmas cake....you had to guess who they were. Usually, the person in the house would join them and go to another house with them. Cheap entertainment and lots of fun. Children did it too but they did not get the booze lol. It was like having Halloween every night for a week.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Lol Sepia. I like the old Newfoundland Christmas. When I was a child, we would have a wonderful time. Folks would go mummering. Grownups would dress up with face coverings and go door to door. They would knock on doors and ask if the mummers could come in. When they entered, they usually did a little dance or played some music etc and they were offered a drink of rum or beer and some Christmas cake....you had to guess who they were. Usually, the person in the house would join them and go to another house with them. Cheap entertainment and lots of fun. Children did it too but they did not get the booze lol. It was like having Halloween every night for a week.
    That sounds like a blast! Wish we had traditions like that around here.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •