This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jesus painting banned in school..........

Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Robert I respect your beliefs and admire you for having them for you seem to care about the feelings of others. I feel that there is a growing intolerance towards folks who have a belief system.
    I would suggest that there isn't a growing intolerance for a belief system. You merely perceive it that way. Nobody cares. Nobody cares what you believe 100% of the time. Nobody cares what you celebrate on your own time. People only care about what they are forced to share in the public arena. Nativity scenes are a perfect example. Nobody is going to have a problem with people who want to setup Nativity scenes on their lawn for the holidays. It happens all the time. They simply do not belong on "public" property. It is not intolerant of our beliefs to ask that it not be on public property. Religious beliefs are personal and thus their display belongs on personal property. The cost for it needs to be paid by personal funds.

I am not offended by anybodys beliefs and I am sure most folks feel that way. I have to wonder how we are going to deal with the folks who are offended by everything....from the books of Mart Twain to the Christmas decorations in a city mall. Soon, there will be no celebration at all. When folks say they are offended, I would like to know just how much. Having a religious painting in a school hall should not be that offensive if it has been there for almost a century. That seems petty to me.
    I'm not offended by anyone's beliefs either. I will, in fact, go to the mat defending the rights of everyone to believe what they will. This means I will defend the Christian with equal ferocity as I would an obscure faith with only a single family making up the order. I cherish the rights of people in our country to practice their faith. What I don't value is the insistence on the use of public, i.e. shared property to try to stake religious flags. This has nothing, at least as far as I'm concerned, to do with political correctness or offending anyone. Offend all the people you want on your own time and on your own dime. That is what makes our country great. You don't get to do it on "neutral ground," i.e. public property. Most of the United States is NOT public property, so there is no way to say there isn't enough space to get your message across.

The City Mall is a different story. That is PRIVATE property and when businesses CHOOSE not wish you a "Merry Xmas," preferring "Happy Holidays" they are exercising their freedom and options. They are recognizing how many customers are out there who prefer something different. There will always be celebration if the faithful remain true. There is not a single Christmas where I am not overwhelmed and amazed by the countless displays of lights, decorations, parties, good cheer, carols, and so on. There is so much of it I just haven't missed the one that used to be on the Courthouse steps. Isn't that really what we are talking about. Isn't the only thing being denied here the right to go into a location of authority and plant a flag?

One of the shelters I worked at was run by a Christian organization. It was a public place where seniors, with little money, could come to socalize and have three hots meals a day....free of charge. We had other things like free dental, free hair cuts and pedicurs...all that stuff. Different volunteer groups would come in different days of the week. Sai Baba would come in every Wednesday and help with a vegetarian meal..they would buy the supplies for it. When the meal was cooked and the clients were seated we would have a moment of prayers, then the members would place a picture of Sai Baba on the counter with a tea candle. The first dish from the meal I cooked would be placed by the picture in respect. Now this is a Christian shelter...but folks looked forward to the Sai Baba days of the week. They were wonderful. This is tolerance. Nobody was hurt by having to acknowledge their faith. In fact, we learned from it.
    I think that is great. I think if more people were this tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs the world would be a better place. I still have to point out that your admirable shelter is PRIVATE property run by spiritual people doing the right thing for the right reasons. Bias is clouding your judgement in this debate because you are mixing apples and oranges. There is private and there is public. There are places people willingly go and places people are hostage to by fate. Public schools (and public property in general) is owned by all of us and thus it must treat us all equally. It cannot acknowledge the faith of some and ignore that of others. Since it would be impossible for a school to acknowledge possible faiths of everyone without creating a huge uproar, it deals with the problem simply by leaving that aspect of people's lives to their personal time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Sure I can. There's not any extra-Biblical evidence that Jesus ever actually lived.
    ...I present proof positive oh doubting one...

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Looking at the picture as purely an art form, why should it be removed? I agree that religion shouldn't be taught in public schools, but come on, it was art. Sure, a painting of Jesus, but still art. Smells like censorship to me.
    Okey dokey fine as wine and dandy as candy with me, then all ya have to do then is hang it in an exhibit, perhaps a 'King' exhibit, maybe put it next to a Velvet Elvis, a signed copy of "The Stand",.....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post

: sigh : I miss Carlin....

And religious faith actually exists too, Shasta.
    Agreed. Never said they didn't. Just saying you can't really compare a picture of Jesus to a picture of MLK, unless you are comparing them for art sake only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Whether or not you are a Christian or believe in God, you cannot deny that Jesus was a real person.
    Actually, you can. I, for one, believe he did but there are many, many people who don't.

...the Son of God existed in some way, shape or form as well....and I lean toward the agnostic....
    Again, I'm not saying he didn't. But even if he DID, he likely didn't look that, they don't know that Jesus was the son of god, you don't even know that Jesus was a real person. (Though, AGAIN, I believe he was and was probably a very nice man.) But you know what MLK and bunnies look like.

Like I said earlier, it is a public school, I do not care about the actual painting....it could have been a Star of David....same thing. This picture was there for a very long time and everybody lived with it. I imagine most of the student body and the parent body couldn't give a good gol darn. I am wondering where it is going to stop? I know a lot of agnostics and atheists who are very smart people. This is something they would not waste their time over.
    I would like to say (because I feel like what I am actually saying got lost) that I couldn't care less what they hang, as long as there's no violence or nudity. They could have pictures of Jesus and Satan doing the tango, or kabala beads hanging from the windows. I don't care. It's all just decor until someone starts pushing beliefs on others, which I don't think happened here.

MARSHA! It's the Jesus I had with The Singing Nun noodle art!

"You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    It's the Jesus I had with The Singing Nun noodle art!

Yeah Buddy, now that right there is a string of words ain't no one'll probably ever consider in quite that order ever again...I'ma go write that down this minute less I forget

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast