This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jesus painting banned in school..........

Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    The evidence is easy to find. Although, there is little from the actual time due to the destruction of Jerusalem around about 70 A.D. If your interested in sources, etc. just google it. Now, considering that Jesus lived long ago, the only non-biblical evidence is from other historical writings, etc. several of which were written within about 200 years from the time of Jesus's death. Too bad there were no cameras back then.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you are saying here is there is no evidence outside the bible that supports the existence of Jesus Christ. If your ownly non-biblical evidence is stories written at least two hundred years after the fact, this is not evidence. This is just more word of mouth, no doubt the same stories which led to the Bible itself. I want to be very clear here. I'm not saying (as some others have) that I do or don't believe. Right now I'm merely being an Academic. Sepia and Dust currently has a far better argument than you.
    Last edited by Robert Gray; April 5th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

I have friends who could argue the point citing evidence of Jesus' life far better than I can. But if everything has to be empirically proven point by point, it relegates faith as meaningless. I choose to believe the Biblical record. Most who have ever tried to disprove the Bible have ended up being ardent supporters of it. I believe in accounts of Adam and Eve, Noah and the flood, Elijah praying down fire from the sky, Jesus dying for the sins for mankind then rising from the dead, etc. I don't expect to change anyone's mind in a paragraph or two. I'm not a model Christian, just someone who chooses to believe in the goodness, mercy, and therefore existence of God. If that makes me simple or naive, that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    Most who have ever tried to disprove the Bible have ended up being ardent supporters of it.
    Where do you guys keep getting this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I have friends who could argue the point citing evidence of Jesus' life far better than I can. But if everything has to be empirically proven point by point, it relegates faith as meaningless. I choose to believe the Biblical record. Most who have ever tried to disprove the Bible have ended up being ardent supporters of it. I believe in accounts of Adam and Eve, Noah and the flood, Elijah praying down fire from the sky, Jesus dying for the sins for mankind then rising from the dead, etc. I don't expect to change anyone's mind in a paragraph or two. I'm not a model Christian, just someone who chooses to believe in the goodness, mercy, and therefore existence of God. If that makes me simple or naive, that's okay.
    And this is fine. Nobody can take issue with faith. That is the beauty of it. There is a difference between those saying Jesus is a provable, historical fact and those who say I have faith and believe. I expect people who claim it is fact to PROVE IT. I simply respect and accept those who state they simply have faith.

You know, I find it quite ironic that one place that *may* have held some empirical evidence of Jesus' existence - the Library of Alexandria - was destroyed by fanatical Christians.

Robert Gray, thank you for making such brilliant comments. Everything you wrote I ended up nodding "yes" as I read. There is really nothing I could add, so thanks.
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Everyone honestly just needs to let others believe however they want to believe. If you want to believe in God then do so. If it be Buddha, ok. Or if nothing, fine. All is a choice. But don't go and start bashing on other's beliefs or try to change something that has been what it was created as and to be. That's just like me changing for someone because they don't like how I dress. No. That is what's wrong. If you are offended by something then walk away. Ignore it. Be an adult about it. I mean what if I were to go to someone and tell them they need to change because I don't agree with how they were made? I would probably get a face full of fist. But this is all my opinion. I mean take it or leave it. It's totally up to you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567